50 and losing, looking for friends : )

Options

Replies

• carlajanemoore
    Options
    Today was a good day... I did 60 push up's and 48 squats. I walked at lunch time for 30 minutes and I am now getting ready to go to spin/cycle class, its a hour class and it is a Marine who instructs and man is it hard but feels good to complete his class! I hope everyone had a great day :glasses:
  • luvmyjerogo
    Options
    Hi Carla,
    My name is Jo and I joined MFP today. I am 49 soon to be 50 and live in upstate NY. My children are 28, 26, 22,21, and 18. All are gone but the 18 year old. I also have 4 grands which are a joy. I have been on the yoyo of dieting for many years but my love of food always wins out over my willpower. I am hoping that this time I will be able to follow through. I am hoping that I can find easy, tasty recipes that will help me so that I don't get tempted. You can add me as a friend.
  • jzelner
    jzelner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 51 soon to be 52 and joined 2 weeks ago. I have lost weight before only to put it back on like so many of us. I'm hoping this will give me more incentive to keep going and not get frustrated when I hit that year long plateau again. I have 3.8 down with 30 more to go. I am interested and any help with motivation and go ahead and friend me. Good luck to us all.
  • carlajanemoore
    Options
    I agree, it is very hard to lose weight as we get into our 50's. I also see more of a difference in my clothes more then the scale. I am loosing but very slowly. I go to the gym everyday. I sometimes take Sundays off. Keep up the walking it is one of the best things we can do for ourselves :smile:
  • Natp274
    Natp274 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey ya ! I'm from NZ, will send you an add shortly, I also need some more friends :) Great to have you on this journey..
  • kjc4458
    kjc4458 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You seem to be off to a great start. Today was my first day. I am 53 with three grown children and one grand daughter. Work full time but find being an empty nester can be lonely especially in the evenings. Easy to start snacking. I am hoping the support on here will help. I really need to get exercising and reading what you do has got me motivated. Thanks and great job!!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi eveyone I'm 51 been here for about 6 weeks and have lost about 12 lbs. Its a great site with plenty of helpful people on it. It really gives you a look at what and how much you are really eating. Feel free to add me if you'd like I enjoy having people my age as friends,
  • minipearl12
    Options
    HI! I'm new to MFP and loving it so far! I'm 51 and could definitely use some friends my age! I'm married, have 2 girls ... 26, 21 and a son 13. I work part-time. Looking to get healthy! Add me if you'd like!! :)
  • psposey
    psposey Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Carla,

Also 50, married and working full time trying to stick to a healthier life style and also looking for more friends to share that journey. I say 50 is the new 30...well at least I can dream!

Steve
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Ack! You only weigh 50 pounds and you want to lose? I think you've got the wrong idea and should focus on gaining!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. :smile:
  • kghgn0
    kghgn0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turned 50 last June and decided it was time to get back in shape. I have lost 27 lbs and have 5 lbs to go to reach my goal weight of 105. I just had foot surgery so I am concerned of not being able to do my normal workout routines which included Zumba, Step and running but I am determined not to gain back this weight! I am married with 5 grown children and 6 grandchildren. Good luck with your journey!
  • carlajanemoore
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great so far. The evenings can be tough. For me I make air popped popcorn. I spray pam on it and a little salt. Its a vey low calorie snack. I have cut out the sweets and now I am not craving. I workout 5 to 6 days a week. I just add in exercise when ever I have a few minutes.
  • carlajanemoore
    Options
    Thank you so much! I already feel better and that makes me want to lose and be healither all that much more :)

I look forward to us all motivating each other. I will be out of town this weekend so I wont be able to post as much as I like. I am sure you will do great. Find something in the evenings that you love to do. When I have a hard time I just break my workouts into mini workouts. 15 to 20 minutes at a time. I do squats when watching TV or cooking dinner... : )

Carla Jane~
  • carlajanemoore
    Options
    Thank you : )
  • carlajanemoore
    Options
    Yes I agree that 50 is the new 30's : ) we will all do great!!
  • monicalouis02
    Options
    Hi my name is monica I am 50 years old married with 2 kids:smile:

Being fat is no fun. When you are extremely overweight . Losing 10lbs looks like you have lost nothing.yo
    After so many years of yo io dieting I finally decided to do something about obesity . I join the obesity
    program in Putrajaya hospital. I then met up with many people like me in the clinic and I then felt that at least I am not the only one. Some of them were heavier then me. The doctor said that my weight is classified as obesity.
    ( like I did already know that). And I had to go through a series of test only to be told that there is nothing medically wrong with you . You just are eating too much and your metabolic rate is low due to no exercise( Also something I already knew).
    So you have to exercise and eat lesser. ( Also something I already knew)

They then explain what they can do to help me. So I did a gastric sleeve bypass in aug 2010 and lost 30 kg. But for the past 8 months I am not losing and now I am gaining again 2 kg.
    Sad sad sad
  • drjune2
    drjune2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, my name is Donna and I am 50 years old and have about 100 lbs to loose. I have been working out at least 5 days a week or more, it is slow going I have only lost about 5 lbs so far, but it is a start and I am noticing that my clothes are getting loose and I can wear my rings again and I haven't been able to do that for about a year.
    I am now eating better and with in my limits thanks to MFP. I will support anyone who needs an encouraging word. I have 2 kids, 18 and 19. One still lives at home.
    I joined a gym and have been doing water aerobics 3 days a week and a strength training and aerobics combined 2 days a week.
    The weather is getting nicer so I have been going for a walk at lunch time one or two times a week, it is hard since I am this old. I dieted one time when I was in my early 20's and I lost weight easily, but now it is a lot more difficult.
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    Hi!

I am 55 and started on my weight loss journey on January 14 after my 60 year old husband had a heart attack. Luckily he survived it because we were at the hospital and they were able to shock him and then he had a stint put in to clear up a 100% blockage. Wow What a wake up call!!! I have lost 25 pounds since that night and have about 100 to go. I have decided this is a lifestyle change we are both long overdue for. I love MFP....it gives me courage and hope and makes me accountable to myself. I have enjoyed reading everyone's story and it reassures me that I am not alone in this journey. Please feel free to add me if you would like.
  • monicalouis02
    Options
    I understand that I too lost a lot of weight when I was 20 years old now it more difficult as I am 50 years old and have reached menopause . Hoping for some motivation and help from others