what to do about sugar cravings?

Options
I've been on here for about 2 and a half weeks, and I'm starting to get sugar cravings. I've been pretty good about staying under my calorie goal, but it's been getting harder and harder to stay away from the foods I used to eat! What can I do to beat the cravings? Are there any recipes that taste really sweet, or just really good, that I could make when the cravings hit? Last night it was all I could do to limit myself on the peanut butter and chocolate, and I still went over! Help!!

Replies

• cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I keep a big pack of hersheys milk chocolate bars on hand. 210 calories.

I also by frozen yogurt that is around 100 calories a serving
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Years ago I had this same problem of frequent sugar cravings (especially in the afternoon or late night). I read that the way to get rid of them was to go 3 full days with no sugar. This means that in addition to no table sugar and no sweets (obviously), you should exclude fruits and also any packaged/processed foods that contain sugar. This worked like a charm for me and I couldn't believe it only took 3 days. I still have a treat every once in a while, but my frequent sugar cravings have pretty much been gone for 10 years.
  • hackett1171
    Options
    I used to brush my teeth ( a long long long time ago when I used crappy toothpaste) if I had a sugar craving...it worked but I would keep a bag of dark hershey kisses and have 3-6 of them when I needed to have that FIX...I would let them melt and not chomp on them so the flavor would last.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    Try adding fruits and vegetables that have natural sugars instead of refined or artificial ones to help temper your cravings. Think about roasting some carrots, sweet potatoes, or any other root vegetables. Also many fruits have natural sugars which could help temper your cravings. If you really want something sweet, stick to less refined sugars that will help satiate your cravings, such as agave nectar, honey, and natural maple syrup. Good luck!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It sounds harsh advice, but if having sugar cravings is hard and making eating healthily difficult, just suck it up!

You don't need to go without sugar for long before you stop craving it.

Giving in to it just prolongs it.
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    Low calories ice-lollies.
    I used to get sugar cravings after dinner but I have an ice lolly (around 18cals) and that pretty much cures it ;)
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not into fad diets but I did the first two weeks of South Beach- then you add back in healthy carbs. Since about a week after I started- I haven't had a sugar craving. Now I still sometimes want the chocolate cake:wink: - but the overwhelming urge to eat sugar is gone. So most of the time I can leave the cake in the store.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you give your body more protein the sugar cravings tend to do down. Next time you have one try eating something high in protein! :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    28 m&M's = 100 calories... enjoy
  • revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    chew gum or find someone who's extremely hot and make out with them then your mind won't be craving sugar :tongue:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I would have a serving size of what I'm craving, I would log it and I would move on. Restricting yourself too much and creating "off limits" foods usually leads to resentment and resentment leads to binge eating (or giving up). If you want chocolate, pick the chocolate you REALLY love and eat a serving size of it. There's absolutely no harm in eating treats once a day. I've done it and still do it. Lost nearly 60lbs and have kept it off since Sept 2010. There's no way I would be where I am today had I continued on the "all or nothing" path.
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    Mulberry Zuccarin supplements killed my cravings completely. :)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I started eating fruit when I craved sugar. Eventually my body adjusted to the natural sugars, and now they quench my sugar craving. I also keep individually wrapped dark chocolate around a lot, and have a small piece from time to time.
  • mhack4223
    Options
    Stabilize your blood sugar! I get the same way . I drink an herbal tea such as good earth sweet and spicy tea. Cinamon helps your blood sugar. Also make sure you are not eating too many cabohydrates. Calories are an excellent guide to help rein you in but remember that a calorie is how fast something burns in a test tube not a human body- you need a balance of fat , carbohydrate, and protein. Adjust your settings on the fitness pal to pay close attention to these macronutrients. Nutrition is so much more than caloric intake alone!!! Carbohydrates provide a source of instant energy while protien and fat take longer to burn in the body. Check out information on a thing called glycemic index. Also i would suggest tweaking your fitness pal settings to watch fiber as well. fiber slows digestion of carbohydrates. Frequently sugar cravings can be controlled by and increase in protien and fat intake, and decreasing or eliminating sugary foods or foods that cause a drastic increase and then decrease in blood sugar . I hope you find this helpful
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    wow, I'm gonna try that. Cool!! Thanks for the idea :happy:
  • Abrasue
    Abrasue Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I get it bad at night :) I will have frozen mixed fruit with fat free cool whip. If you freeze your cool whip the textue is just like creamy ice-cream.
  • RNMachine
    RNMachine Posts: 17
    Options
    If you give your body more protein the sugar cravings tend to do down. Next time you have one try eating something high in protein! :)

Agree. Also, all or nothing doesn't work, you just end up splurging and falling "off the wagon" totally. Allow yourself a single serving of what you're craving.

Good luck!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When I get sugar cravings, I'll reach for an apple or baby carrots.

Sometimes I put a frozen banana in my small food processor with a bit of milk for a healthy alternative to ice cream.

For a chocolate fix I will puree 1 banana with 4 tbsp of cocoa powder in food processor. Then I spray a sheet of wax paper and pour out the mixture. Freeze until solid and break off like a chocolate bar.

Recently I have been fixing these sweet cravings with an easy recipe that you can make in the microwave. I posted it to my blog, but for convenience sake I will write it below as well:

Strawberry Microwave Bake

Ingredients:
    2 tbsp flour
    2 tbsp oatmeal
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tbsp egg beaters (egg whites work well too)
    1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp jam
    1 large strawberry, diced (other fruit would work too)

Directions:
    Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Add diced strawberry. Mix. Then place in a small bowl and microwave for 60 seconds on 80% power. Remove, cool and top with whatever you want.

I like to top this with almond butter and strawberry jam. It is about 120 calories for the whole thing. Here is the link to the recipe: http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/2012/03/strawberry-microwave-bake.html

I also have tons of other healthy, low sugar recipes on my blog that are easy to make and fulfill a sugar craving, but low in calories too! http://peanut-butter-lover.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I would have a serving size of what I'm craving, I would log it and I would move on. Restricting yourself too much and creating "off limits" foods usually leads to resentment and resentment leads to binge eating (or giving up). If you want chocolate, pick the chocolate you REALLY love and eat a serving size of it. There's absolutely no harm in eating treats once a day. I've done it and still do it. Lost nearly 60lbs and have kept it off since Sept 2010. There's no way I would be where I am today had I continued on the "all or nothing" path.

I do the same thing. If I want something, I have it (as long as I have calories left for the day to allow the "treat") I log it and don't feel guilty. Eat it slow! :wink:
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    ^this.