Low Fat Vs Low Sugar...can you actually win?

Okay, so I've just changed my macros so that I am now tracking sugar and, having looked back at my diary I see that when I concentrate on choosing the reduced fat foods (eg yoghurt, cheese etc) to reduce my fat intake then my sugar levels are higher. When i eat regular foods the fat is obviously higher but sugar is lower. Is there any way that you can win here?? Does anyone have any nutritional advice in relation to whether eating low fat is better than low sugar or vice versa as you can't seem to achieve both! Or if you know how to achieve both then I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Lots of veggies!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Lots of veggies!

i know that.....anything else? is low fat better than low sugar?
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Personally, I do low sugar rather than low fat. Fat will keep you full for a longer period, so you won't find yourself with crazy cravings or that starving feeling between meals. An avocado with some tuna (like tuna salad with no mayo!) will keep you fueled for a lot longer than a bagel with cream cheese or a bowl of pasta (all those carbs just spike insulin).

In my diary, I do 50% fat and my sugars are typically low. Fats are good for you, they are necessary for lots of bodily functions!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Fat does not make you fat. It was a fad diet. I've heard that sugar makes a difference when you are at low body fat percentage and that some obese individuals respond better to Atkins (I've never tried it, I love my carbs). Thermodynamics are really the key, assuming you get "enough" protein (if you ask a fitness website they will often say at least .8x body weight in grams, I've read articles by nutritionists who say 1.4x your body weight in kilograms, I just try to get upper double digits). Just stay below your calorie goal and if you are struggling to stay full, you need to increase the quality of your diet (more fiber). If you are struggling to lose weight, then try low sugar or something else to see if your body responds better to a different macro setup.

I've, so far, not found the need to do anything special with food. Just stay close to my calorie goal
  • bwg5563
    bwg5563 Posts: 3
    Not all fat you intake is absorbed as well as what other people have posted it will increase satiety therefore consuming less. Low sugar is the better route because typically low fat items will contain a lot of sugar. Glucose (sugar) will stimulate insulin release from your pancreas's beta cells which will cause more glucose uptake by your organs. Insulin is an anabolic hormone which stimulates growth. Growth of glycogen (glucose storage form), fat, etc. So essentially you end up with less fat storage when you eat more fat (if that makes sense) due to the fact you will not absorb as much and will consume less.