Recommending "Food Inc"

Options
Nataleenerlou
Nataleenerlou Posts: 13 Member
I just watched this movie Food Inc on Netflix, and I am recommending it to everyone. Even if you are not an advocate of organic or local foods or anything, simply seeing where your food comes from is eye opening. Plus understanding of the iron grip that big industry has on the food industry, and the intimidation tactics used on the humble farmer, is astounding.

Replies

• monicacorona2
    Options
    I love that movie, really makes you think twice before eating or buying certain products at the grocery store. Especially when you have kids!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup, after watching Food Inc. there won't be any soy products coming into my house. One of the worst decisions that ever came out of the US Supreme Court was that you can patent a life form (fortunately Canadian lawmakers think otherwise) but Monsanto has done their fair share of bullying north of the 49th too.

I think it's time to buy a bigger freezer and do what my parents did; buy a side of beef that was raised, slaughtered and butchered locally.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Yup, totally eye opening movie. Gah-ross!
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I no longer have netflix but I remember watching tons of these kinds of shows. I will also recomend King Corn, The Future of Food, and Food Fight. Also Frankenstier which was a Frontline episode is great if you still buy your meet from walmart or any other box store. Woody Harrelson did a good one on there to promote RAW food too. i totaly recomend doing research into the foods you eat before falling to the premade meals again.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It was an interesting documentary. Growing up on a farm where our cows were raised off grass, it was interesting to learn not all farmers do things that way. In the end, I would like to be at a point where I buy meat raised from around my area, and vegetables that I grow myself.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed this documentary very much. The two things that stuck in my mind were the farmer who was fighting (and lost to) Monsanto, and the chicken farmer who wanted to do better for her chickens but Purdue wouldn't let her.

I do try to buy locally sourced and organic food when availability and budget allows. We have wonderful farmer's markets in my area that sell fruits, vegetables, and meats that are beautiful, natural, and locally grown. It makes me proud to be an Ohoian!