Biceps ---- Help paleez.

Options

Replies

• wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if you have only been in the gym for 7 weeks you don't need to be on a split routine yet. You should be doing a total body work out 3 - 5 days a week. Split routines and isolation is more for intermediate and advanced body builders. You need to gain overall strength and fitness first.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i would suggest increasing the amount of weight you do, which will force you to do less reps. this is okay. also, in your last set, you could throw in a few negatives provided you have a workout partner. if not, on your last set, do as many reps as you can, drop the weight down a few pounds, and punch out as many more as you can do, then drop the weight again, and finish it out until you can't do any more.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Start doing some chinups for freakish arms, cancel all isolationist immediately, so much time for such little gain.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Negative chin-ups and wide grip (and close grip) lat pulldowns helped me. For negative chin-ups, hang/descend SLOWLY for 60 seconds each set. Or work your way up to this if you can't achieve 60 seconds. If you're not familiar with them, here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc7dlrSFI&feature=g-hist&context=G2c71188AHT1FV8QADAA
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    If you are 7 weeks into a gym routine, I'd suggest shifting your focus away from isolation/bodypart work in favor of a full body routine. Work hard/lift heavy 3 times a week using compound movements such as the squat, deadlift, press and row. I never do a curl, ever and my arms are solid.

cosigned.

Hip hip huzzah!

Agreed! Don't make it so complicated. Talk to nearly any bodybuilder and they will tell they wish they had focused on compound movements instead of bullsh*t overly complicated routines when they were starting out. There is a place for isolations, just not when you're a noob.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention diet but make sure you're not in a calorie deficit. You can only gain mass in a calorie surplus (note: you can still improve strength in a deficit). If you're in a deficit, the gains you are seeing might just be fat loss uncovering muscle that was already that size, and as the fat covering the bicep area is generally pretty thin even in bigger people the "gain" doesn't appear as rapid there. If you actually want bigger muscles, you have to feed yourself. If there's weight to be lost, do a deficit to lose that first then concentrate on bulking afterwards.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention diet but make sure you're not in a calorie deficit. You can only gain mass in a calorie surplus (note: you can still improve strength in a deficit). If you're in a deficit, the gains you are seeing might just be fat loss uncovering muscle that was already that size, and as the fat covering the bicep area is generally pretty thin even in bigger people the "gain" doesn't appear as rapid there. If you actually want bigger muscles, you have to feed yourself. If there's weight to be lost, do a deficit to lose that first then concentrate on bulking afterwards.

Depends if he is Obese II or Obese III.
    These are the only 2 ways to gain muscle with a deficit.

ATP baby!

O II and O III peeps have enough stored energy in muscle tissue to actually recomp while in a deficit.
    But only if he isnt wasting time in the gym!

He's going to check out SL 5x5 and SS programs.

BTW if you guys havent read Stuarts book Beyond Brawn I highly recommend it.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do compounds 3 days hard a week.
    Eat! Nutrition is huge in making lean mass gains.
    Rest to grow!

When you plateau in muscle growth, switch up your workout routine so your muscles don't get acclimated to the same redundant exercises.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd personally recommend doing the following:-

Week 1 Light Weight:
    Standing Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    EzBar Preach Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    Alternating Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps

I'd want you to explode in the positive (which is up), contact for 2 and then slowly do the negative for 5-6 seconds THIS MEANS SLOW. You'll find you can curl much less weight than normal. Its about feeling the contraction in the arm and the negative controlling the weight down.

Week 2 Heavy Weight:
    Standing Cheating Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    EzBar Preach Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps
    Alternating Cheating Dumbbell Curls, 3 sets and 10-12 reps

This week is heavy weight curls. This is taking as much as you can do and power it up. This will involve cheating the weight up and poor form.

Should do the trick.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with all those saying to scrap doing all the isolation work and eat more.

For a new gym goer start with a either a full body using only compound lifts (squats, deads, rows, bench and OH press) or do something like push pull legs with compound lifts. Something like below would be a good starting point but remember genetics could be a factor. Keep your lifting heavy with progression at every chance you get, keep the workouts brief and intense and make sure you're eating enough to gain-simple

All 4x6 or 5x5

Push-
    BB bench
    Standing BB shoulder press
    Close grip bench

Push-
    Deadlifts
    BB bent over rows
    BB curls

Legs-
    Squats
    SLD's
    Calf raises

hope this helps
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I`ve never done both triceps and biceps in the same workout...
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Stop being so bro and do real lifts.
  • jsnearly
    jsnearly Posts: 61
    Options
    alot of strength for the bicep comes from the forearm. Try working the forearms some and your bicep strenght will get better too.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Strong broscientists in this thread.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    For all saying do none. That doesn't make any sense. Of course benching will hit triceps, as will overhead presses. Deads will involve the biceps a little. I don't know a single Body Builder (and I know Pro's in this figure) that miss hitting their biceps once or twice a week.

For even all over development, you need to be hitting your entire body to keep good symmetry. Of course further on down the line you may need to target certain areas more than others.

On top of this, make sure you have a nailed diet. PM me if you want help in this respect. Open to anyone who needs help btw.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    ScreenShot2012-03-03at11858PM.png
  • fit4evaR
    fit4evaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    check out Gregg Hoffman
    urbanpump.com
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with a lot of other posts- you can do each muscle group several times a week- maybe do all upper body one day and all lower the next, fitting in 3 of each each week. Try different exercises for the biceps, or do the ones you've been doing, but pyramid them- that's something like do 12 reps with really light weights, 10 reps with medium weights, 8 reps with heavy weights, then back to 10 and 12. Good luck!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    ScreenShot2012-03-03at11858PM.png

Being that I'm a sponsored Gaspari Nutrition Athlete I'd say I do :wink: :bigsmile:

Knowing the likes of Rich Gaspari, Flex Lewis and the like gives me a few helping hands along the way :bigsmile:
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    bump, be wanting bigger biceps.