Insanity vs. P90X vs. Gym

Options
I'm sure each has it's benefits. I'm just struggling with which direction I need to go. My "cheap" membership at the Y expires soon and I've hated this Y so I won't be continuing. My options are join a different Y (closer to my house though) for $66 or get a program I can do at home.

The advantages to the Y are the free weights and the fact that my daughter will be able to play with other kids. The disadvantage, obviously, is the cost - especially when I'm getting ready to drastically reduce my hours at work to be a mostly SAHM.

The advantages to a program is that it's only a one time financial commitment and I can do it at home.

I'm a self-motivated person, so I don't "need" the gym to motivate me necessarily. I know lots of people have had lots of success with both of the programs I've listed, but I'm honestly not sure which one would be best for me. I'm looking for strength>cardio.

Someone help talk me through this!

ETA: My goals are to reduce my body fat percentage, get in better shape, and be stronger. I want to fit into smaller clothes and lose a few pounds.

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I've tried both P90X and insanity and can say that for me I always much preferred the gym!

The reason why I stopped P90x in the end was because I couldn't manage that alongside the gym as well, and the gym / free weights / lifting heavy was far more important to me than any program like that - although it was a good program!

It all depends on your priorities, and what your main fitness goals are. Insanity is great cardio, p90x is good for the weights, although I'd say if you really want the best strength gains, free weights at the gym are far better! If you can't afford the gym membership, I wouldn't go there, but if it's possible it may be a good option. Most people too seem to just be happy with fit and healthy, with some muscle tone - and p90x should give you that :)

IMO taking 1 hour out a few times a week to go to the gym though doesn't really make you less of a SAHM - if you were working out to DVD's you wouldn't be actively spending time with your daughter then anyway, would you?
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've tried both P90X and insanity and can say that for me I always much preferred the gym!

The reason why I stopped P90x in the end was because I couldn't manage that alongside the gym as well, and the gym / free weights / lifting heavy was far more important to me than any program like that - although it was a good program!

It all depends on your priorities, and what your main fitness goals are. Insanity is great cardio, p90x is good for the weights, although I'd say if you really want the best strength gains, free weights at the gym are far better! If you can't afford the gym membership, I wouldn't go there, but if it's possible it may be a good option. Most people too seem to just be happy with fit and healthy, with some muscle tone - and p90x should give you that :)

IMO taking 1 hour out a few times a week to go to the gym though doesn't really make you less of a SAHM - if you were working out to DVD's you wouldn't be actively spending time with your daughter then anyway, would you?

It wouldn't make me any less of a SAHM at all. But me getting ready to do that = loss of income. Continuing the gym = adding a monthly bill.
  • jaszmyn
    jaszmyn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    recently I have quit the gym and been into beachbody programs. It has been working out so much better. I was finding myself full of excuses sometimes, when it came to the gym. It much easier just to go downstairs and press play. Now the programs are only 30-90 days depending on which one you choose. I am looking for more cardio, so I ordered Turbo Fire. So you could either start a second round or invest in another program after 60 days or so. Then you can re evaluate your love for the gym.

I am also a mom and a memebr of the Y. My whole entire family uses the membership, so I just kept it. My husband prefers to do his strength trainig there. Sometimes, after work and getting the kids together, I prefer to just workout at home, and I still visit the Y like once a week. I know you don't want to do both for expense reasons, so i guess drop the memebrship for now, and then after the 60 day program is up, you can evaluate it then-if the program works for you or not.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't make me any less of a SAHM at all. But me getting ready to do that = loss of income. Continuing the gym = adding a monthly bill.

Ah ok I see now :) I think I read it as you giving 2 separate disadvantages.

As I said before though, if you can afford it, and still pay all the other stuff you need for your household even if it is a little tighter, I'd go for it if it's what you want. If it's going to be a real struggle though, I wouldn't risk it as other things seem to pop up all the time that need paying for, and you don't want to be struggling to pay for necessities.

Maybe test out the water with your new pay for a couple of months first. You never really know how finances are going to be until you experience them, and maybe after a little while of a reduced income you find that you could afford the gym membership still, and that would make the decision a little easier.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    A good question is, do you have the proper equipment to train at home, should you decide to? As a SAHM, I train exclusively at home, but I have an extremely well equipped home gym. So to me it was a no brainer to cancel my membership and use all the crap that was sitting at home collecting dust. I'm not big on a lot of the 90 day programs (not saying that they don't work). But, as you know, you know I love my STS, even if it's pretty equipment heavy...
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A good question is, do you have the proper equipment to train at home, should you decide to? As a SAHM, I train exclusively at home, but I have an extremely well equipped home gym. So to me it was a no brainer to cancel my membership and use all the crap that was sitting at home collecting dust. I'm not big on a lot of the 90 day programs (not saying that they don't work). But, as you know, you know I love my STS, even if it's pretty equipment heavy...

I have some and wouldn't be opposed to getting other things. I have two adjustable dumbbells - 5-25 pounds, a 10 pound weighted ball (for Russian twists), and exercise ball, and an elliptical machine.

Bump in case anyone else has any opinions. :)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I've done all 3 of your options and now that I've fallen in love with lifting heavy, I could never give up my gym. Insanity really is more cardio than strength. P90X definitely has the strength component but I didn't have the equipment to lift heavy enough (I can do a lot more with barbell squats than dumbbell). Also, both of them are extremely hard to do with children around. They never seem to want to nap at the right time. lol The child care at my gym is worth far more than what I pay!

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if they'll cover some of your membership. Most of the major companies do now provided you go 8 or 12 times a month. Our insurance pays $20/mo for each adult member as long as we go 12 times a month. Since our membership is $19.99/mo each, we pay the tax and for our kids. It only costs us $24.10/mo for our whole family!
  • Lauri1612
    Options
    Going to gym is also a social thing to you and your daughter. If your hours are reduced at work you should probably try to go out more. So I'd chose gym.
  • crazycali23
    Options
    I can see where your coming from, paying a fee every month or get one of the programes and no monthly fee. P90X would help you with you goals that you have in mind, all you would have to get would be a chin-up bar and maybe heavier wieghts if 25lbs are light to you. For insanity you wouldnt need any equipment.
  • crymzen
    crymzen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity and had a membership at our local Y. I was in the same situation as you. Super reduced hours at work meant smaller pay check because of this I decided to end my membership at the Y. I tried to get in my workouts by simply running and biking but it was hard to get out in the cold/wet winter months. I liked that Insanity got my heart-rate up similar to running/biking and I didn't have to go out in the rain or push a stroller.

I didn't qualify for this program but many YMCA offer financial assistance from membership. Since your household income will be reduced you might qualify. Also I would look in to your insurance supplementing your membership to a gym before you cancel as earlier poster mentioned.

Good luck. It's a tough decision just go with your gut. Either way you can make it work for you.
  • mandaeileen983
    mandaeileen983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM and I have tried P90X and the gym. I couldn't stick with P90X because my son was constantly in my way. One of my favorite things about the gym is dropping him off at kids care and being free for the next hour! But - I am a full time SAHM so that could make the difference for me? I can't work out very well at home. My sister who is kid free loves P90X. She does it even on vacation. I think it really is just a matter of preference. You could try the programs and if you don't like them then sign up for the gym. At least the programs are a one time cost so if it doesn't work out you aren't stuck in a contract.
  • mandaeileen983
    mandaeileen983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention - being a SAHM another benefit of the gym is people watching and getting out of the house. If you are going to be SAHM for most of the time these might be things you will come to appreciate. :)
  • leecor48
    leecor48 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Chalene Extreme challenge pack and it's by beachbody also. I am having great success with it. I have lost 9 lbs and 11 " in two weeks. I'm 5'3 was 160 now 151. I have 3 children and work from home. I'm now on my 3rd week. I am following the recommended diet that comes with the program. I also throw in some TF cardo (an extra dvd comes with this challege pack) on my weight lifting days. I use 5, 10, 15, &20 lb weights. I don't really have a place to work out so I do in the living room and drag out my weights and then put them away when I'm done. The challenge pack comes with the shakelology and I ordered chocolate. It's really helping me with my chocolate cravings. So....that's my input I hope it helps.

I took before photos when I complete my 30 day picture I can show them to you then if you're interested. But again it doesn't work if you don't follow the diet.