Calorie tracker device, low cost?

I have been reading up on the BodyBugg, but it is a little expensive for my pocketbook at this time. An other suggestions on devices that work as well to count the calories I am burning while I exercise?
Thanks!

Replies

• Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    bump. i'm in a similar place - i'd like a HRM or something to measure calories but I can't afford the popular ones. Do the cheaper ones work?
  • Javierho
    Javierho Posts: 9
    You probably already own the most inexpensive calorie counting device... a watch! There are many websites that can help you convert the time you spend doing a particular activity to calories burned. And not just exercising, gardening, playing with the kids in the park, washing the car... they all burn calories. Keep in mind that these are all estimates based on your speed and time exercising, as well as your age, sex, and weight.

The devices are basically doing the same thing. They are estimating how much effort you are putting in over a period of time. That's why the more expensive ones have a few more whistles like accelerometers and GPS tracking.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Use the search feature & search for HRM & heart rate monitor - tons of info on everyone's favorites, good deals & where to shop for them. I got my $70 New Balance N4 on eBay, brand new, for $26.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    My girlfriend and I both bought HRMs eight months ago. Hers was a Walmart special and lasted only two weeks. She took it back and got another one - same story. I spent the extra money for a Polar brand and mine is going strong. You get what you pay for.
  • Javierho
    Javierho Posts: 9
    Trysha, to add more to my other comment, an HRM is great for training. I do own one and use it to keep a good pace while exercising.

When I started jogging, I used to run too fast, and get tired quickly, which was discouraging. My HRM showed me that I was exercising too hard for my abilities at the time. So I now use it to keep an appropriate pace, and now I can exercise for a longer period of time and stay motivated.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    You get what you pay for.
    Unless you get a sweet deal on eBay or Amazon for a good brand name product. :smile: If you're on a tight budget (like me!), it pays off to be patient & wait for the right deal on the right item. It can be done!