New to this.. scared about joining a gym?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I think it starts off that way for everyone. LIke your first day of school. First few times I went in there I seemed to wander a lot trying to figure out what the hell I was really doing. Lots of strangers and as self-concious that I am. I felt judged in every area I stepped into. However once you have a couple days in you began to become familiar with the regular faces, and you become familiar to them as well no matter who you are or what you look like. A sense of belonging is than established within a brief period of time, and once the smallest results come in no matter what it is, you get a great sense of pride that will motivate you and help you enjoy your time at them gym.

One trick is to wear a hat with the brim low, and throw in a pair of earphones. You'll block out everything around you and find your zone.

Oh yeah..true story, My very first day and first time experience in an real gym with a new membership. I picked up a 40 pound barbell and placed it on the preacher curl. I get into position, and thinking that the barbell curl was going to be heavy, I put all my might into the first curl, and drove it right into the bridge of my nose with one swift curl. I nearly knocked myself out, and I did see a white flash when it struck me and it marked my face. I tried to settle the weight back down without drawing attention, but a lot of people did notice, and NOBODY said a word. I just tried to play it off like nothing and regather my composer, it was hard after that.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    going to a gym? nah not intimidating. being the only man in a class of 20-30 women doing Zumba? maybe just a little..:bigsmile:
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I work at a gym and I can tell you, there really is all shapes and sizes. No one looks at anyone and thinks "why are they here?" if anything they think "GOOD FOR YOU!'

It can definitely be intimidating - especially the weights, but if there is the option, you could do an all females location which is less intimidating for most.

Good luck!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Join the gym if you wish. Its all about you not what anyone else may think or feel.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym. Wait until you see all the different body shapes there. It will make you feel great.
  • VanishaDawn
    Options
    There is a gym i go to- i think its a "chain" and its called Planet Fittness. It advertises it self as a "Non judgemental Zone", and has "Lunk Alarms". There are very strict rules posted "if you are judging someone, or attract un-due attention to yourself by dropping weights, showing off, etc, you will be asked to leave". "This is a judgement free Zone". I belong there, I am not the only very overweight grey haired lady there "trying" to exercise. Its only $10 per month. Its the first gym i ever felt comfortable at, and ii have belonged to a few ( for short periods of time) over the last 30 years. If they have one near you, give it a try....

I belong to Planet Fitness as well and I love it there too. I feel very comfortable there and everyone is always in their own world. Give it a try, it's definitely worth it. They also offer free unlimited fitness training whenever you need it.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I feel a bit the same way sometimes...I look around the gym and everyone there seems much more in shape than I am. But that isn't true, anyway. Some of those folks may be thin, but have no muscle tone or endurance, and I do! And I feel really inspired by a couple of folks I see there regularly. One older gentleman has obviously had some major health issues, but he is there every day (he's a real social butterfly too...greets every body of the morning regulars), walking slowly on the treadmill. There is one lady I see occasionally who makes me look petite, and beleive me, I am not petite. She must weigh close to 400 lbs, but she is there and doing her best to get healthy, and it shows that it is working. I really respect her dedication. You'll see all kinds of folks at the gym..and really, we all go there for the same reason.
  • cfergy
    cfergy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Don't let that stop you from joining a gym. Be proud of yourself for moving in the right direction and anyone at the gym will think the same thing. You'll get over your fear and start feeling great. Everyone at the gym is doing their own thing and no one will be mean to you. I found that everyone is helpful and you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions. You'll get into the swing of it in no time.
    Good luck