lightly active and sedentary

Options
If your job is sedentary(student) but you go to the gym for and hour or more every day. would you be lightly active or sedentary? Why is there a big difference in calorie intake is it because of the exercise making your heart rate higher?

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you have a desk job. You are considered sedentary. If you workout between 1 and 3 days per week, you are considered lightly active and so forth.

As you increase your activity, you increase the amount of energy you expend (calories) in a day or across the week. However you want to look at it.

1-3 days of exercise = Lightly active
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    If you're sedentary but you log your exercise would it not make your calories up to the same as if you logged as lightly active?
  • matthewsq
    matthewsq Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    ya i'm confused about faye's question. I know I'm sedentary but since I do work outs I put it into lightly active but I also log in my exercise. I feel like i'm double logging
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this as well. Why does it matter how much you exercise if you are adding that in separately. I figure if you work as a nurse, that is more active than say a desk job. It seems like maybe they are overestimating the burn?? Are you getting credit for exercise twice? Once in your settings with how active you are, and then again when you plug in your exercise???
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    If your job is sedentary(student) but you go to the gym for and hour or more every day. would you be lightly active or sedentary? Why is there a big difference in calorie intake is it because of the exercise making your heart rate higher?

You could work it that way. It would probably be better to use "sedentary" and then log your exercise as exercise. If you call yourself "lightly active" because you work out, you don't get to take the workout calories too, and if you skip a day working out, you're "sedentary" for real and not "lightly active." Unless your day-to-day work is active, you should pick sedentary and add calories for actual exercise. Ideally by using a device such as an HRM or other monitor. And eat most or all your exercise calories.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    ya i'm confused about faye's question. I know I'm sedentary but since I do work outs I put it into lightly active but I also log in my exercise. I feel like i'm double logging

You are.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options

You would be double logging. The lifestyle settings aren't about your exercise habits. They are more about the lifestyle you lead without the exercise. If you have a desk job you are classed sedentary, if you are a nurse or on your feet a lot then you choose a different setting.

If you have an office job and exercise and due to that exercise you change your lifestyle settings then no way should you be logging your exercise on top of that.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I too have a sit down job so I have a lifestyle as sedentary. This way I log my "extra" exercise.

I do NOT use cleaning my house as exercise because I do this daily already.

I do NOT add shopping because this is what I already do.

I only add EXTRA activity as exercise.

This is working and I eat my exercise calories and I'm losing steadily and safely.

My energy is wonderful.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I just set it to sedentary, then log all of my 5-6k cal burn a week. Far simpler.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just set it to sedentary, then log all of my 5-6k cal burn a week. Far simpler.

^^This. I might qualify as otherwise and get to eat more calories...but I'm making terrific progress and I ONLY log my exercise in the gym.