Muscle vs. Fat

Options
Does muscle really weigh more than fat OR is that just something dieters tell themselves for make them feel better about those few extra pounds?

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Does muscle really weigh more than fat OR is that just something dieters tell themselves for make them feel better about those few extra pounds?

1lbs of muscle = 1lbs of fat.

Muscle is, however, denser.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    a pound of fat weighs as much as a pound of muscles. This statement is NOT true and people just say it to make u feel better
  • PaulKruse
    PaulKruse Posts: 12
    Options
    A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat, or a pound of feathers for that matter.

But a pound of muscle will take up less space than a pound of fat. It is denser.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article about why the scale goes up while exercising

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
  • the_other_kitkat
    Options
    Obviously a pound is a pound is a pound. When people say muscle is heavier than fat they are referring to volume. A square inch of muscle weights more than a square inch of fat.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article about why the scale goes up while exercising

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

I clicked on that link then immediately blocked that page once I saw her face

@OP: It's something people tell themselves to make them feel better about gaining weight while doing the diet and exercise dance. And as everyone said, muscle just takes up less space. Which is why people can weigh more than you but still look smaller.
    fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

For a given volume, muscle does indeed weigh more than fat because it is more dense. But those few extra pounds people gain when they begin a new exercise program are generally due to water retention, not new muscle.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I suspect you're alluding to the fact that there are weeks that the needle on the scale doesn't move even when you've exercised and been disciplined about what you consume. It's possible to lose fat and gain muscle and get the impression that you're effort is going nowhere. When we want to feel better we eat a bag of Oreos!:laugh:
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for all your feed back. I actually know the answer to this question - I just needed a little input.

On a personal note - I love seeing the # on my scale decrease but if it doesn't for a particular week - I'm fine because I feel great.

Again - thanks.
  • I1ahunt
    I1ahunt Posts: 72
    Options
    of course a pound of anything equals a pound of anything else.................to properly analyze the statement " muscle weighs more than fat " you would need to weigh say ...6 cubic inches of Fat and 6 cubic inches of muscle
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Obviously a pound is a pound is a pound. When people say muscle is heavier than fat they are referring to volume. A square inch of muscle weights more than a square inch of fat.

Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? :oP
  • dvm2bee
    dvm2bee Posts: 1
    Options
    1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat...just as 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1 lb of bricks

However, 1 lb of muscle is much more dense than fat...so it looks a lot smaller than 1 lb of fat.

In addition, 1 lb of muscle is way more metabolically active ...meaning it is healthier and actually helps you burn additional calories, in comparison to 1 lb of fat.

http://jaclynbydesign.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/muscle-vs-fat/
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

1lbs of muscle = 1lbs of fat.

Muscle is, however, denser.

^^^^ this!
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1 lb of fat...just as 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1 lb of bricks

However, 1 lb of muscle is much more dense than fat...so it looks a lot smaller than 1 lb of fat.

In addition, 1 lb of muscle is way more metabolically active ...meaning it is healthier and actually helps you burn additional calories, in comparison to 1 lb of fat.

http://jaclynbydesign.wordpress.com/2010/08/25/muscle-vs-fat/

^^^^^^^^ this....