Shift Workers - Getting Enough Calories, etc.

Options
Hey everyone! So, I am a nursing student (with three years to go still), and I bartend part-time, as I found it to be the easiest way to make good money while still having time for my studies...anyways, right now I work 3 nights a week from about 4pm to about 11pm or midnight. I work at a restaurant with delicious looking food, however I always make sure to go in on a full stomach so I am not tempted by the food and free bread. I have been SO good, haven't had a bite of bread in days, and I have yet to have any of the food (just started working there 2 weeks ago). My problem is getting in my 1300 calories on the days I work. I try to bring my own snacks, etc, but I don't always have time to eat them. Today, for example, I had about 600 calories to go AFTER I got home from work. I ate some boneless, skinless chicken tenders and some mixed veggies, but I really hate eating so late (it was about 12:15am). I am full, and I am coming up just under 1,000 calories. I don't want to eat another 300 calories just so I can get to my goal, and I am simply not hungry anymore. I have done a ton of research on "starvation mode," and I feel as though as long as I am eating clean, quality food, taking vitamins, and getting my nutrients, I am doing OK. There is such conflicting views on that whole thing.

Does anyone else have this type of schedule? Do you eat late at night when you get home?? I might need to just bring my own food and force myself to find time to eat it...I don't want to be coming up too short on the nights I work...fellow shift-workers, please feel free to offer any advice you may have!! I don't want my work schedule sabotaging my hard work!!! :happy: Thanks!

Replies

• nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have had this shift before and so has my SO. It is hard to do, but the best way to deal with it is to preplan and make sure you are getting all your calories the healthy way. Maybe have a peanut butter (all natural) sandwich and fruit and veggies when you get off. That way you are getting healthy foods, healthy fats and you are meeting your calorie needs.
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions :smile: I guess I wouldn't be so concerned about eating the right things because that comes pretty easily for me, I guess where I struggle is feeling completely comfortable eating them so late at night, if for some reason I am unable to get them in earlier, like when I am at work...so, I guess that was part of my question, too - wondering what peoples opinions are on eating at this time of night, seeing as I will be going to bed shortly after...another thing I have read so much competing information on!!
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I've heard the usual "if you eat after something-o'clock you'll gain X pounds!!!" but the way I look at it is a daily and weekly total. Say I burn 2000 calories a day and I eat 1500. It doesn't matter if I eat 500 of those calories at night, I've still got a deficit and I'll still lose weight. I think a BIG part of the problem with late-night snacking is firstly, for people lucky enough to have a 9-5 type job, eating at night is in addition to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and whatever snacks they've had during the day and secondly, when it's late at night a person might be more likely to eat something that's easy over something that's healthy.
    As long as you're eating good food, I'm not sure when you eat it plays such a big role.
    If you're worried about not meeting your calorie goals, maybe consider bumping up the calories at breakfast or lunch? That way you don't have to go to bed with a full stomach, which I've found can make getting to sleep a bit hard
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm a nurse that finally got off the night shift about a year ago....but I worked the 7p-7a for 10 years prior to that. I had to establish a schedule for myself to make sure I was eating enough. I tried to eat my main (breakfast) with my family before I went to work and then space out snacks every couple of hours. I did stop eating about 4am just because I couldn't sleep when I got home if I was too full. It's was easier for me to set up times to eat and bring stuff from home so my body got used to somewhat of a schedule. It's not easy.