Does Calorie Counting work for everybody?

Options
Just wondering or do some people only lose weight cutting their carb intake?

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    i feel everyone is an individual and really needs to listen to their body. i eat a really clean diet full of veg and some fruit. i have to be careful with the carbs because i am a diabetic where as someone else that isn't a diabetic may be able to have more cabs and be just fine. find what works best for you :)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think calorie counting works for everyone who truly keeps track of EVERYTHING they eat and has some weigh to be certain of how much they eat. Either weighing or measuring it.
  • mysongislove930
    mysongislove930 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works great when it comes to awareness, for me anyway. When I'm counting calories, I can see what I put it my body and I also pay attention to the other stats like fats, carbs, protein, sugar, etc. It works for portion control! Also, counting calories will only work if you're eating healthy, too. You can stay under your calorie goal by eating chips and candies all day, but you're not going to lose weight. You need to have a balanced diet.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I really only pay attention to the number of calories.. but doing that alone has helped me with a lot of changes in what I eat. I never really monitor carbs though since I've always eaten "good" carbs to begin with... but I definently agree with others... everyone's body is different & you have to find what works for you.... if you're not losing weight as well as you hoped or are perhaps gaining a little sometimes then I'd suggest cutting back on the carbs a bit or increase your overall protein intake.
  • Avengertk
    Avengertk Posts: 102
    Options
    Calorie counting works great when it comes to awareness, for me anyway. When I'm counting calories, I can see what I put it my body and I also pay attention to the other stats like fats, carbs, protein, sugar, etc.

I agree. I also pay so much more attention to my portion sizes that was a shock to see little 75g of pasta actually was for example. buying new kitchen and bathroom scales vital for me at least to work alongside calorie counting. You have to be very honest too when it comes to logging.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Calorie Counting doesn't work for those who don't know how to count, those who are too lazy to count, or those who are in denial and refuse to count every single calorie they eat :bigsmile:
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I try to put as much data into MFP as I can, calories, carbs, fat, protein, sugar, etc. I don't want to get to obsessed with calorie counting. If I am going out to eat, I won't ask the waiter or manager to get the nutritional information for everything I have ordered and start putting everything exactly into my diary. I will just eat the food and choose something that seems close to what I have eaten, be it over or under my goal.

I will hopefully be able to see how much I am eating without having to weigh everything. I used to weigh crisps which I really should of taken out of my diet all together or limited them.

Foods that I weigh are potatoes because you just never know how heavy they can be until you put them on the scales lol. Cereals, cheese, pieces of chicken, etc. I will also measure certain liquids just to make sure my food is the right consistency to eat, such as Ready Brek. Don't want my Ready Brek looking like a puddle of water.

I just don't want to go over the top with this sort of thing because it will most likely take over my life if I carry on doing it for a long time. The eating part is healthy, but I think getting obsessed with it is unhealthy. Don't want to start panicking over foods that are unhealthy and start judging people.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works great when it comes to awareness, for me anyway. When I'm counting calories, I can see what I put it my body and I also pay attention to the other stats like fats, carbs, protein, sugar, etc. It works for portion control! Also, counting calories will only work if you're eating healthy, too. You can stay under your calorie goal by eating chips and candies all day, but you're not going to lose weight. You need to have a balanced diet.

I so agree with you
    When I count calories I think twice what I put into my mouth, so I eat healtier.
    For the last 2 weeks I'Ve tried South Beach Diet ( zero carbs , a lot of vegetables and protein ) and I lost 2 lb only.
    Trust me I have tried everything and so far calorie counting works the best for me
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been following a plan written by Dr. Mike Roussell called, "The Six Pillars of Nutrition." It's not as much a "diet" as a healthy eating plan. Within this plan I count calories. I weigh and measure everything and enter all of it into MFP. The plan is a little bit carb-restricted in that starchy carbs are only allowed at certain times; first thing in the morning and after a workout, when my muscles are depleted of glycogen. It's really working for me and I'm not hungry on 1200 calories a day, which is the key, because I don't handle hunger well.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Calorie Counting doesn't work for those who don't know how to count, those who are too lazy to count, or those who are in denial and refuse to count every single calorie they eat :bigsmile:
    ^ This.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I so agree with you
    When I count calories I think twice what I put into my mouth, so I eat healtier.
    For the last 2 weeks I'Ve tried South Beach Diet ( zero carbs , a lot of vegetables and protein ) and I lost 2 lb only.
    Trust me I have tried everything and so far calorie counting works the best for me
    Veggies have carbs.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    ^ This.

I second this
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works for everyone that does it correctly. A few years ago my parents and I all lost a significant amount of weight just counting carbs. None could seem to lose all of our excess weight. I maintained the weight until I came here and started losing the last 20 pounds I could never seem to touch with low carb. My parents have gained back more than they lost, and when they tried low carb again, it didn't work.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works if you are honest about your logging and measure your food for acturate tracking.

Carb cutting = calorie cutting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Just wondering or do some people only lose weight cutting their carb intake?
    Been doing it for over 28 years and not gained any significant amount of weight to put me in horrible shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting works for everyone that does it correctly. A few years ago my parents and I all lost a significant amount of weight just counting carbs. None could seem to lose all of our excess weight. I maintained the weight until I came here and started losing the last 20 pounds I could never seem to touch with low carb. My parents have gained back more than they lost, and when they tried low carb again, it didn't work.

^^^ This

Perfect example of the power of counting calories !
    And as many said here, MFP also allows you to monitor your intake of nutrients, for better health.
  • Delena8
    Delena8 Posts: 1
    Options
    I had been counting carbs since last summer and successfully lost 25 lbs. I switched to counting EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE that goes into my mouth for the past two weeks with an emphasis on no sugar, whole grains, lots of fruits, veggies and protein. All I've gotten is a whole lotta nothin'. I'm very frustrated. MFP suggests I eat 1370 calories/day. I'm exercising 1-2 hours/day with P90x, Jillian's 30 day shred and yoga, walking 3 miles/day, etc. It hasn't changed the scale a bit. I'm going back to carb counting - I was actually losing weight then.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Once you have calculated your TDEE, counting is key to your "weight loss" goal. Calories In vs Out will influence your progress.

Macros help fine tune the above statement. For example, I adjusted my macros to achieve my goal in cutting body fat % but maintaining as much lean body mass (LBM) possible. My goal is not essentially weight loss, it is a lower body fat % that I am striving for. So I have calculated my TDEE and did my deficit/macros from there. High protein, low carb, and mid fats.

I am a firm believer and supporter of If It Fits In Your Macros (IIFIYM).
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    I had been counting carbs since last summer and successfully lost 25 lbs. I switched to counting EVERY. SINGLE. CALORIE that goes into my mouth for the past two weeks with an emphasis on no sugar, whole grains, lots of fruits, veggies and protein. All I've gotten is a whole lotta nothin'. I'm very frustrated. MFP suggests I eat 1370 calories/day. I'm exercising 1-2 hours/day with P90x, Jillian's 30 day shred and yoga, walking 3 miles/day, etc. It hasn't changed the scale a bit. I'm going back to carb counting - I was actually losing weight then.

are you eating back your calories burned? if not, you should be eating back at least some of them. Otherwise your body is hungry and you won't lose weight.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Macros help fine tune the above statement....

I am a firm believer and supporter of If It Fits In Your Macros (IIFIYM).

Totally agree, when I first started doing this I didn't track macros but just focused on calories. After a while, I started taking a closer look at macros and really started to focus on protein to go with my lifting. I've found that they go hand in hand in that aiming for good macros helps me stay under. That said, balancing marcos takes time and planning, there is no way around that. There are definitely days when the S**t hits the fan and I go way over in carbs and totally miss the protein but I try to at least meet my calorie goal.