How the heck do you guys do it?!?

Options
AReasor
AReasor Posts: 355 Member
I see people working out 5-6 days a week. I work out Mon, Weds, and Friday. The soreness is too much on the off days.

So again, how the heck do you guys do it?!?!???

Replies

• ieva012
    ieva012 Posts: 18
    Options
    the pain will go away soon :)
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Plow through the soreness! :)
    Really, though.... if my trainer puts me through a horrific leg workout, hitting the gym the next day and doing the elliptical for an hour actually HELPS. It stretches out the legs. Just power through. You'll be surprised!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Stretching, knowing the difference between pain and injury, etc...

How bad do you want it?
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm sore that if I keep at it then the soreness goes away! I've never missed a day due to sore muscles!
  • wtp2000
    wtp2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I do a Wii Personal Trainer video and walk sometimes over my lunch hour. But, being a single parent with a full-time job, I just don't know how to find the extra hours in a day to be exercising all the time. I'm already getting up at 5-5:30 every morning just to get ready for work and my daughter up & ready to be on the school bus by 7:00. I have time on the weekends, but then I'm only exercising 2 days a week. Ugh! I agree about the sore muscles, depending on the work-out I can barely move the following day. lol! :smile:
  • trlrnrgrl
    trlrnrgrl Posts: 80
    Options
    Is exercise something that is still fairly new to your routine? It's normal to be sore for a short while when you're first starting to exercise. But if you've been at it a while, you shouldn't be so sore that you can't exercise more than 3 days/wk. If it's something that's still a little new, don't worry - the soreness will go away as your body adjusts and you'll be able to add on more days. In the meantime, on those in between days, you can try going on a walk. That'll allow you to stay active but without being too hard on sore muscles. In fact, sometimes walking can help work out some of the soreness.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    you push through it and it goes away :)

It will get better and easier for you too as you keep it up. Good job working out 3 days per week!
  • crysmcd1
    crysmcd1 Posts: 54
    Options
    you push through the soreness and keep moving on. you work different parts of the body harder, let your "sore" spots have a minimal rest time... i typically work out 6 days a week, this week was 5 because of a busy saturday... been doing it this way for 8 weeks and its getting better with each week. good luck!
  • mcorange01
    mcorange01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I struggled with it to. I do the Wii Fitness Plus and added more Yoga to my routine, that helped with the stretching. Somehow you just find a way through it. I work out everyday now.
  • emfilomena
    emfilomena Posts: 120
    Options
    Stretching, and pure determination helps me work through the pain. The results keep me coming back for more :happy:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    working out different muscles different days...cross training....and days off when needed. Actually, after a workout that causes "soreness" a less intense workout the next day of even a walk of yoga or something will actually release the lactic acid buildup in the muscles that causes the soreness. So, sometimes when you are sore is when you need to go ahead and do a workout the next day, just make it a less intense workout or even take a walk or short run, etc.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am sure your body will eventually adjust.

I work through any pain I have - unless it is an unnatural pain that is caused from an injury. Our joints actually begin to feel better when they are being worked out.

Are you doing too much exercise? Try to remember to work smarter not harder. Don't over do it, and don't exercise to the point of pain.

That being said, are you stretching before/after a workout?
    Are you drinking enough water? Water is essential to hydrating your body - especially your joints and muscles!!

Soak in a nice hot bath of Epsom salt a couple of times a week. See a massage therapist.
    Ensure you are wearing the appropriate shoes...if you are running ensure you are wearing running shoes. If you are cross training then wear cross trainers. Best bet is to get fitted for a supportive shoe too...it will eas the pain on your joints/muscles.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I do a Wii Personal Trainer video and walk sometimes over my lunch hour. But, being a single parent with a full-time job, I just don't know how to find the extra hours in a day to be exercising all the time. I'm already getting up at 5-5:30 every morning just to get ready for work and my daughter up & ready to be on the school bus by 7:00. I have time on the weekends, but then I'm only exercising 2 days a week. Ugh! I agree about the sore muscles, depending on the work-out I can barely move the following day. lol! :smile:

What about in the evening? Do you have a gym that offers childcare?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Alternate cardio & strength to allow sufficient recovery time between workouts and make sure you take your rest days (at least 1 per week - some people will do no exercise others will do some really low intensity cardio like walking, over time you'll find what works bets for you)
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Try protein after you've worked out - it's not a miracle cure but it does help with muscle recovery.
  • AReasor
    Options
    I was really incredibly weak when I started. I had an appendectomy go bad and was ill for 8 months. I kept thinking that I needed to build the muscles, the soreness would go away(I push and hard during workouts and its not) and I could do more. I am getting stronger and want to push through. I was worried about injury.

Man, I wish I had access to a treadmill or an elliptical. That seems like it would stretch things out a bit.
  • cdl8
    cdl8 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The pain and soreness goes away throughout my workouts. Learn to love what you are doing!!!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    When I got back to exercising, I was just trying to walk 20-30 minutes at the park. I was SO sore I could not believe it, just from walking. Very discouraging, when I used to walk 4-6 miles a day, every day!

I switched to doing Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos, and I am able to do them with minimal soreness - I am sweating and breathing hard! I think for me the difference is I am exercising on carpet now instead of concrete, less impact on the joints. Also, she does a very nice stretch at the end, and sometimes I do the stretch 2x because it feels so good!

Also cleaning up my diet more and more I believe makes a huge difference - you have to stay hydrated to help flush the lactic acid out of your muscles, and be sure you are giving your body nutrients, not just calories. Lots of anitoxidant-rich foods and lean protein to help build the coveted fat-burning muscle!

I look forward to adding more challenging exercise as I progress, and I know it will probably mean some soreness, but I will continue to do as much stretching as I can and hopefully combat the soreness and increase my flexibility and core strength!
  • AReasor
    Options
    Also, I work out at home. Outside is snowy is incredibly cold. I think I will start alternating strength and cardio when I can get out of house. I do have a protein bar after I workout(I make it a point to over on protein).

Right now I am doing workout videos and (I wish I knew what the name for it) a list of exercises(pushups, crunches, jumping jacks, wall sits) that keep my heart going.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't try to do too much too soon. Let your body get used to the exercise. If the 3 days per week you are doing now is lifting, and that is why you are sore, just go with some walking or light jogging for 2 or 3 of the other days. That is how I get exercise in 6 days a week: 3 lifting with some cardio, 2-3 days cardio only, 1-2 days rest each week. Good luck as you continue to build your new body. We are all here to support each other.