STUCK ON THAT PLATEAU....AGAIN

Options
Well, here I am stuck at 163 lbs again. I seem to be very good at getting my weight down to this level and then it seems impossible to move past it. I appear to be on track with my calorie intake and I'm definitely exercising so I'm not sure what the trouble is. This has happened to me every time I try to lose weight and always at about the 160 lb mark. At this point, I usually end up slipping back into my old habits and gaining some weight back because I'm so frustrated. I don't want to do that again this time. Any advice?

Replies

• Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Depending on height, exercise, and what you're eating/drinking, the suggestions may be different.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same place! Once I hit 185 I sit here for months! Then I get discourgaed and think "why am I doing this to myself and not seeing results?" and I give up and gain about 10 pounds. I am so discouraged right now! I hope you get some good answers.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    Just keep on keeping on. Plateau's are so annoying and can last for what seems like for ever! I have hit one myself, about 5lbs above where I usually have difficulties losing weight, which makes it even more frustrating this time around! But, I have actually defeated this plateau before (then due to stress and laziness, gained back again ugh!). You can try changing up your diet and/or exercise, that usually helps. I've been stuck here for weeks, and actually gained this past week! I am going to try switching up my workout routine for a little while starting this week. Just hang in there and don't give up no matter how discouraging it can be, if we stop trying, we definitely won't make it!
  • katrinalarocque
    katrinalarocque Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I am eating, on average, about 1200 - 1400 calories per day. I exercise off about 300 calories, usually by riding my bike or doing a step aerobics class. As for drinking, I usually drink decaf tea of some sort, skim milk or juice (and not a lot of juice) and water. Occassionally a glass of wine but not often as it seems to make me retain water.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more. What are your goals? If you're shooting for 2 lbs a week loss, that's probably too aggressive, since you've got less than 15 or so pounds to lose. Try changing it to 1 lb, which will increase your calories. Most people on here who report broken plateaus have usually done it by approaching it this way.
  • happyandfitgirl
    Options
    Increase your intake by 100-200 calories, do a bit less cardio exercises for at least 2 weeks and switch up your exercise routine once those 2 weeks end. :)
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    With your height, you could be at a "happy weight". Have you considered switching from weight loss to toning? Some here have suggested working out harder to build muscle. That would mean more calories too, but building muscle should help you burn fat. You may not see changes in numbers but you may see changes in inches. So my other suggestion is to start measuring once every month or two weeks at the most. 163 is a good number for you, so I'm leaning towards thinking you need to tone it up rather than take it off.
  • katrinalarocque
    Options
    I am in the exact same place! Once I hit 185 I sit here for months! Then I get discourgaed and think "why am I doing this to myself and not seeing results?" and I give up and gain about 10 pounds. I am so discouraged right now! I hope you get some good answers.

Months! That's terrible! I'm hoping someone who has experienced this will give us some pearls of wisdom which will help us get past this. Hang in there girl.
  • Aerohead21
    Options
    Oh, and look into lifting weights, strength training, as an addition to our cardio. Sorry, forgot to mention that :)
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and currently 150. At about 162-163 I hit a plateau, and broke it by eating at maintenance level for two weeks. I gained a couple lbs in the first few days, but lost them quickly, then actually dropped a couple more during maintenance mode. After two weeks, I dropped my deficit back down (to only 250-300 deficit for about 1/2 lb per week loss), and kept losing.
  • katrinalarocque
    Options
    With your height, you could be at a "happy weight". Have you considered switching from weight loss to toning? Some here have suggested working out harder to build muscle. That would mean more calories too, but building muscle should help you burn fat. You may not see changes in numbers but you may see changes in inches. So my other suggestion is to start measuring once every month or two weeks at the most. 163 is a good number for you, so I'm leaning towards thinking you need to tone it up rather than take it off.

You could be right....maybe I'll try worrying less about the number on the scale and more about the inches. My husband was just telling me the same thing...LOL. I've been avoiding weights mostly because I had some major surgery in November but I think I"m at the point where I can start doing some muscle building exercises. Thanks for the advice...it's much appreciated.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    These are just my words of wisdom since I don't know you. Just something to look at: 1) what are you doing for exercises? Are you doing same routine all the time? If so, try mixing it up with different exercises and itensity levels so you can fool body and not get muscle memory.2) How is calorie intake, are youeating enough calories? Plus, as you get closr to goal weight, so I've been told, it gets harder to lose the weight. Don't fall into the trap of getting discouraged, you came this far, stick with it!!! Once again, by no means am I an expert, but just offering my thoughts. Good luck!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Please listen to happyandfitgirl, if your calories are too restricted for too long you will hit a plateau. Since your diary is closed we can't see how much you are eating.....increase your calories.
  • katrinalarocque
    Options
    I am also 5'7" and currently 150. At about 162-163 I hit a plateau, and broke it by eating at maintenance level for two weeks. I gained a couple lbs in the first few days, but lost them quickly, then actually dropped a couple more during maintenance mode. After two weeks, I dropped my deficit back down (to only 250-300 deficit for about 1/2 lb per week loss), and kept losing.

I want to be 150 too! This sounds like a good plan...I'll try this along with other advice I received about building muscle and see how it goes. Thanks for your help.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take 2 weeks off eating at maintenance.
    This always breaks plateaus.

Also please be sure to get at least 2 days rest from working out.
  • vermurrgarv
    Options
    here i am screaming because nothing nada is happening for me i'm stuck stuck stuck i'm 5ft 9 i started on feb10 lost the first 7lbs now what someone please help w----h
    a----t d----o i d
    o.
  • Crystal155
    Options
    What is muscle memory? I do two sometimes three hour and a half body pump classes at my gym. Then I do the 20 minute 30 day shred workout video the days I don't make it to the gym. I normally take one day A week off. I've been sitting at 135 pounds give or take a pound since The end of January. I don't count calories, I just eat 3 protein, 3 fruit, 3 veggies, 2 fats and 2 carbs a day. I'm also a vegetarian. Should I be switching my workouts? Anyone know a good quick 20-30min video I could try at home? I've got two little girls so not much time in the mornings.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    here i am screaming because nothing nada is happening for me i'm stuck stuck stuck i'm 5ft 9 i started on feb10 lost the first 7lbs now what someone please help w----h
    a----t d----o i d
    o.

A 5'9" woman who works out 3 times a week requires 2k calories for nutrients.
    Are you eating 2k daily?
    Probably more like 1200?
    This is probably why....
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    What is muscle memory? I do two sometimes three hour and a half body pump classes at my gym. Then I do the 20 minute 30 day shred workout video the days I don't make it to the gym. I normally take one day A week off. I've been sitting at 135 pounds give or take a pound since The end of January. I don't count calories, I just eat 3 protein, 3 fruit, 3 veggies, 2 fats and 2 carbs a day. I'm also a vegetarian. Should I be switching my workouts? Anyone know a good quick 20-30min video I could try at home? I've got two little girls so not much time in the mornings.

An overtrained body is a failed body.
    This forum is ripe today!
    =D

Keep training down to 60 mins max!
    Cortisol and stress will hold you back and create more problems down the road!
    Relax!
    Work out 3-5 times a week for 20-60 mins a session and youll pass by flying colors!
  • hwatson07
    Options
    I'm stuck in a plateau as well. It's been about 2.5 months since I've lost any weight. I've lost a few inches through toning, but not much. I generally eat between 1200-1300 calories per day and don't usually eat back my exercise calories. As some people have suggested, I have been trying to increase my calorie intake. My problem with that is that I'm really not hungry! I don't want to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry! Does anyone have any other suggestions?!? This is so frustrating!!