44 and male working on a help desk. Just started this progr

Options
somerman
somerman Posts: 17 Member
I am 44 and live in Los Angeles. I work a help desk, so I sit all day. Working in IT has put me in front of a computer for decades and exercise outdoor activities just don't motivate me. Something to work on, I guess.

I just entered CSMC Weight program and was recommended this site to aid in my weight loss. This is my third attempt at a medically supervised program, but the first one with Since the Internet. Being able to share and communitacte with others will hopefully make a big difference.

When I turned 44 last year, for some reason it was a big deal that I weighted 425 lbs, my height is 5' 11" (for the record).
I have been overweight since childhood, but this is my heaviest to date. The last ten years I must have gained 75 lbs.

For those ten years I took care my ailing Father until he pasted away 4 years ago. It took two years to get past the grieve, and to get started with my life. First was to get back into the work force. I stopped working in 1999 to move in with my Father. I was self employed as a computer consultant, so I was able to work from home. But as my Father grew more ill, I had to cut back on work, and basically stopped promoting the business and kept the clients I could keep with my new restrictions.

Trying to reenter the workforce weren't simple, since I had not worked for anyone for 20 years. My resume was basically my business, and most employees weren't looking for a 40 year old I.T guy who worked as a "Consultant" who's skills were hard to verify. Add to that that I lost my car. But I finally get a job, one that I could do from home, that provided incredible health benefits.

With that first major change, I decided to start my second major change. And here I am.

I have been very blessed to have had no medical issues do date. And when I loose this unwanted pounds, I hope to continue to live a health life.

I know this post went a little off a basic introduction, but this is the first time putting these thoughts to page, and it feels good to put it out there.

I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone here, and to learn from all of your journeys, too.

Replies

• legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Well, step one is always to acknowledge and reach out to others. So you are doing the right thing! Weight loss no matter how big or how small is a journey. I wish you the best in yours. We are here to help support and maybe make you smile from time to time.
    Go get 'em tiger. You can be successful!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Well listen buddy, you have just motivated me even more than I was. You obviously have the drive to succeed. My advice to you would be to believe in yourself and love yourself. Be very stringent about adding your diet and exercise on here because if you don't you are letting yourself down. Add me as a friend and welcome to our fitness family.
  • Holly1019
    Holly1019 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Nice to have you here. I am new here also. Learned about the site from my Dr. about a week ago. I am finding that writing down what I eat is helping alot. Good luck on your journey. I found that a lot of the people here are very nice and helplful.
  • OzzyMotoK2
    Options
    Hey there -- I also work in IT and can relate to sitting all day.

We just started a weight loss competition at work so it has really motivated me to shed 20 pounds of extra baggage. I'm also a new member here but am definitely one of those people who likes to track things and feel like I'm working a plan.

Good luck with your journey!

18574925.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    You can do this.

Can you change your work station to one that requires you to stand? You can even buy a treadmill that will let you work out beneath your computer. There are many treadmills made just for this purpose.

Take 10 minutes every hour and do something physical. It will help you focus and help you start to move. It could be stretching, walking, modified pushups, lifting cans of tomato sauce, whatever you can Google!

You just need to start.

My favorite line : "Move and your heart will follow."

Start logging everything you eat. Buy a $20 food scale on Amazon. Those two things will help you tremendously. Come here and read the topics as often as you can.
  • OhioMade
    OhioMade Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tracking your calories works! This site is avail on mobile apps, so there isnt a reason not to track. And friends help. We are all here to help and support, and we all seek the change. Feel free to add me and good luck to you.