Losing "slowly"

Options
I'm constantly reading that losing "slowly" is the healthiest way to lose weight for skin, maintenance, etc. Subjectively, any weight loss is slow compared to the double digits lost in one "week" on the Biggest Loser Ranch...so, what is "slowly,"? (I hope the saying, "There's no such thing as a stupid question" still holds true). :flowerforyou:

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    For a woman with 30lbs to lose, 2/week would be considered proper.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think people generally mean 1-2lbs a week :)
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends how much you have to lose in the first place.
    If you have a lot - like over 75lbs, 2lbs a week is ok. under that, 1lb is ok. If you don't have much - say 10lb, 1/2lb is good.

People on Biggest Loser are under medical supervision to lose more. It's not safe to do so without consulting a doctor.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    For a woman with 30lbs to lose, 2/week would be considered proper.
    I think people generally mean 1-2lbs a week :)

Thank you! As much as I want to think I know what I'm doing, I've only been a member since December.
  • susandnichols
    Options
    I've always heard .5 to 2 lbs a week is a good, steady weight loss goal. This gives your skin opportunity to regain elasticity as you lose weight. When you lose gobs of weight at a time, your skin simply can't keep up and, hence, sagging skin. Also, the longer it takes for you to lose it, the more likely you are to maintain it. If you take 10 weeks to lose 20 lbs vs 1 month, you've had more time to forge life-changing habits during the 10 weeks. Choosing to lose it all in a month's time doesn't give your body a chance to adapt to any real changes.
  • Beanogirl
    Beanogirl Posts: 97 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've always heard .5 to 2 lbs a week is a good, steady weight loss goal. This gives your skin opportunity to regain elasticity as you lose weight. When you lose gobs of weight at a time, your skin simply can't keep up and, hence, sagging skin. Also, the longer it takes for you to lose it, the more likely you are to maintain it. If you take 10 weeks to lose 20 lbs vs 1 month, you've had more time to forge life-changing habits during the 10 weeks. Choosing to lose it all in a month's time doesn't give your body a chance to adapt to any real changes.

I really hope this is true. It has taken me 9 months to lose 46lbs, 8lbs more to go to initial GW, but I do sometimes get disheartened when I see others losing so much more quickly.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Sustainability for one. Maintaining lean muscle tissue for another.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the big deal about losing a lot in a short time. I've lost a lot of weight (way more than 100 lb) and it has been over a 6 year period. Since I'm not involved in any sort of competitive contest, there is no benefit I can see to losing 30 lb in a month or whatever. B)