Metabolism messed up?

Options
hey everyone, umm.. I've been struggling with weight loss for all my life and since august I've managed to lose 20.5 pounds.. The thing is, I think I've messed up my metabolism because Ive been eating under 100 calories for almost 2 weeks.. I didn't know I was messing my metabolism up :( anddd I'm scared to weigh myself because I think if I eat more than 1000 calories I'll gain all of the weight I lost.. I just need some advice :( if any of you guys went through the same thing could you tell if you gained weight with myfitnesspal. ThAnks :)

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I don't really understand why you think your metabolism is messed up.

With that said, 1000 calories/day is not enough, it is unlikely you are getting all the nutrients your body needs.

I would say nearly everyone on MFP "LOSES" weight IF (big IF) they stick to the program and follow it honestly.

Are you exercising or just eating as little as possible?

I would suggest upping your calories and increasing your exercise.
  • miraeshii
    Options
    O and I do elliptical training for 2 hours or so each day.. And please don't post hater comments..
  • daisysmamu
    daisysmamu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, I hope you messed up when you typed in 100 calories - hope you meant 1000! Second, what is it that makes you think your metabolism is messed up? Are you following a particular diet? How active are you? How long did it take you to lose the 20.5 lbs? Have you consulted with a health care professional about your weight? Lots of questions here!
  • miraeshii
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it's not messed up >> and I posted what I do for excerise. And on mondays, Wednesday's, and thursdays I work out with a trainer..
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    100 calories a day?

Edit to add: I'm not hating - just worried!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    If you are exercising 5 days/ week (minimum, it sounds like), you probably need closer to 1500 calories/day. Your body cannot funtion healthily on 1000 calories/day. With all the exercise you are doing, your NET caloric intake is probably 600-700, which is dangerously low.
  • MrsAngelique
    MrsAngelique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't always get my 1200 calories in but what I understand is that if I do not get this amount in them my metabolism will slow down and then I would have to eat even less to cause weight loss to happen. I do not recommend that anyone eat less than 1200 Calories a day. I try to meet this amount daily knowing that if I do I may gain a little more weight but the way I see it, is that even though I may Gain a 1-2 lbs, for that week that I am also retraining my body. Exercise will also help fix it.
  • miraeshii
    Options
    No, it was 100 .. I know I was being stupid . T.T I did the cabbage soup diet and thought I was supposed to eat as little as possible.. It only lasted for a week though.. I Tried to lose weight since the beginning of august but didn't lose weight until December -ish..
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Its a wonder you have lost at all :+[ Spike the calories up a bit and mix and march you work-outs.. See how that does after a month or so..
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    Options
    I workout a lot too. I think if you do workout a lot, you shouldn't be eating so little (1000, hopefully).
  • angel_north
    angel_north Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    P.S. If you were to tell your trainer of you intake he might tell you that what you eat is not healthy for your muscle structure... Mine says to boost up like a protein shake before you workout so that you have the energy to work-out hard and long...
  • miraeshii
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) I'll try to increase my calories ^^
  • miraeshii
    Options
    My trainer eats egg whites and canned tuna the whole day lol >.< I don't think I'll follow his diet plans :/
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) I'll try to increase my calories ^^

Please please do! I would read up on starvation mode too. Your body really does need the cals to lose weight.
  • exlaxref
    exlaxref Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Please understand that this is not a "hater" post at all.

There are several things about your post that concern me. Eating under 100 calories a day, huge amounts of cardio, "scared" to weigh yourself.

Please reconsider your weight loss plans, and speak to a physician about them.
  • susanne01
    Options
    Hi. I was thinking the same way you do. I know that I gain a lb when I increased my calorie intake to about 1200 calories a day. Yes, I am on the treadmill 30 min about 6 days a week and twice a week strength training for about 20 minutes. It is going to be hard to switch my way of thinking. I am kinda afraid to change too.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Please understand that this is not a "hater" post at all.

There are several things about your post that concern me. Eating under 100 calories a day, huge amounts of cardio, "scared" to weigh yourself.

Please reconsider your weight loss plans, and speak to a physician about them.
    Or a psychologist...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think you know that 100 is way, way too low, so I'm not going to belabor that point.

Yes, as soon as you increase you'll probably gain back everything you lost while on that diet. There's no real way around it, so it's best to bite the bullet and get it over with. Sooner rather than later, because 2 weeks is imo not enough to seriously screw your metabolism.

However -- if you post what you were doing since August (where you said you tried to lose weight and it didn't succeed), people can help you troubleshoot then. It's possible that you were eating too little already and your metabolism had zeroed out, but it's also possible that you were inaccurately measuring either your food or calorie burn.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I used to eat like that, I thought if I ate under 1000 calories I would sure lose weight, and I did but I couldn't sustain that lifestyle. I felt lightheaded half the time, a large decrease in energy etc. When I joined mfp I learned about the average of calories minimum needed for most people and that was 1200. At first I found it hard to eat even that much, I felt like if I ate more that I'd gaineverything back and I wouldn't lose weight, the opposite happened. I did gain about 3 pounds and I was a bit discouraged but about 2-3 weeks in of eating better and doing a gym visit once a week I began to lose weight consistently again. Currently I'm at about 15 pounds lost from beginning in Dec 2011. I think in reality 1200 calories a day of food is very little and it would be hard to gain weight from that if you do move around, and not even a ton of moving around I just mean like walking here and there, doing your shopping etc. I used to be a person who said my metabolism is very slow, its very messed up but I think with eating better and the increase of exercise its gotten a lot better.

Also, I only go do cardio for 20-30 mins on my gym visits, if you're going over that you'll probably want to try eating even more since you're burning a lot of calories there if its for 2 hours. You can do it, good luck, and good luck discovering that food is your friend in this journey and if you make the right food choices and eat a good amount you'll do just fine. =3
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not enough to mess up a metabolism but you may have cause some damage to your muscles and depleted your liver reserves of energy after the first day. You are young and your body was probably still trying to figure out what was happening and trying to find ways to adjust to the low calorie intake.
    If you start today to eat and exercise without going into extremes you will lose weight in a healthy way. It is possible you gain some weight at first to compensate for the damage you did but you will need that adjustment period. My suggestion is to hide the scale for 1 month and to concentrate on heating healthy and balanced meals and exercise moderately. If this sounds too hard to do on your own, you may want to follow the suggestions other people said to consult a nutritionist or a medical doctor to help you get started. Check with your health insurances provider, if you get a referral the nutritionist fees may be covered.
    Good luck and yes, it works if we stick to the plan!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!