me and my big arms :(

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a big difference in my arms sense I started doing push ups, also if you check out body of steel it has great arm work out, the weights she uses don't give you big muscles, I don't care what any one says the more I work out my butt the smaller and rounder it gets, the more I work out my arms the tighter they became, unless its heavey weights then they just like you said grew muslcs under the fat causeing then arm to look smaller, so Don't give up you can make a defference now as you lose weight by working those specific muscles

I find pushups help too. My arms look more defined after a few weeks of pushups.
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Awesome advice! Your oh so helpful:happy:
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate! I started my weight loss journey on January 15th, 2011, but didn't start taking my measurements until a couple months after that. My arms I think were 18" back then. I measure every month, and they were steadily decreasing, until June 2011. They stopped at 13 inches, and I hate when it's time to measure, hoping I'll see a smaller measurement, but I keep seeing that stupid 13! I met with a fitness coach last week to get my BMR tested, and she said it's probably just a matter of time, and that it'll probably be the last area to go. I have about 40 more lbs to go, and I certainly don't want to see 13" when I reach goal!

I've tried lots of strength training DVDs (kettlebells, Jackie Warner, and even a free "arm exercise" Android app), experimenting with varying weights, higher reps, lower reps, etc. But my arms are still 13". I can see definition on the tops of my arms and shoulders, but the triceps still look flabby.

I'm tempted to start seeing a personal trainer, but they're so expensive, and I HATE the gym environment--it almost turned me into a germ-a-phobe :)
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    if you want to build muscle, you increase weight and lower the number of reps. If you want to tone muscle and burn fat, you increase the number of reps and lower the weight.

No, no, no. Ladies please stop believing these myths.

To the OP, lift heavy as you can while maintaining good form and work in the 4-8 rep range. Eventually, as you continue to drop fat....all that lifting you've done will be lean, solid muscle. A million reps using 5 lbs will do nothing but build muscular endurance.
  • pinkita
    Options
    Oh, a question re: lifting heavy.

Any advice on how/where to start? i.e., how many reps, how heavy a weight to use... and does the same advice apply to kettlebells? (I love kettlebells!)

Thanks!!
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i'm also waiting for my arms to shrink :(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Any advice on how/where to start? i.e., how many reps, how heavy a weight to use... and does the same advice apply to kettlebells? (I love kettlebells!)

Thanks!!

I do 3 sets of 8 of however heavy I can lift when I struggle with the last couple lifts.
  • pinkita
    Options
    You look awesome Lorina!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

Keep it to 12 or less reps per set. You can start with a light weight for you, but you should be gradually increasing the weight. When people say "heavy" it's relative to them; it means you should be able to complete your sets, but not much, if any, more than that.

Also, you want the basis of your program to be compound lifts, which are lifts that include multiple joints and multiple muscle groups. These are more natural movements than most single-joint weight machines, and recruit more muscles which means your body is doing more work (as well as some stuff about the central nervous system which I'm not 100% sure about).

Oh and kettlebells aren't any different. They're a tool like dumbbells or barbells. They can be used for some good lifts like a Goblet Squat, Rows, a KB Bench Press, or a KB Shoulder Press.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading New Rules of Liftinfg for Woman. It is very helpful for beginners to lifting heavy. It also has some good nutrition advice. I bought it on amazon.com
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    UGH! This topic TOTALLY hit home!! you know what i hate??? That blob of fat just above the elbow, when the arm is straight...and it kind of hangs down OVER the elbow a little....sexy! lol

while we're on the subj...any tips for slimming down calves too. those two spots are the WORST for me. Upper arms and calves! i want to wear boots again!
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But since I still have more weight to lose, they tell me to keep up with healthy eating, cardio and weight training. To do low weight LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of repetition to burn the fat and get some lean muscles.

Feel free to add me ladies. We all need some motivation.
    Lots of repetitions in weight lifting build muscle endurance and little calorie burn. You'd be better off lifting heavier and raising your RMR.
    High repetitions to "build" lean muscle is a myth that won't seem to go away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

if you left smaller weight you will get smaller muscles if you left bigger weights you will incress the size of your muslces, once again I dont give one dame what any one tells me, for over weight woman any way when I left heavy weights they buld muslces underthe fat, when I do cargio type work outs for my arms it tightens them up, sorry you cant except this but I have seen this myself
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a big difference in my arms sense I started doing push ups, also if you check out body of steel it has great arm work out, the weights she uses don't give you big muscles, I don't care what any one says the more I work out my butt the smaller and rounder it gets, the more I work out my arms the tighter they became, unless its heavey weights then they just like you said grew muslcs under the fat causeing then arm to look smaller, so Don't give up you can make a defference now as you lose weight by working those specific muscles

I find pushups help too. My arms look more defined after a few weeks of pushups.

yea Push ups are great
  • pinkita
    Options
    A fellow Weight Watchers member told me yesterday that "Turbo Jam" helped slim her arms (it has a lot of boxing/kickboximg moves). I don't think she's ever done weights though.

I'll check into that book re: heavy lifting for women. Hopefully it's available in Kindle format!

As for pushups, they haven't seemed to affect my triceps. I have yet to try lifting heavy so I'm inclined to try that next and hope to see a change. It would seem logical that not all exercises have the same effect on each person since our genetic makeup is different. I'd just like to be able to wear a tank top (or heck, even very short sleeves) this summer and not be self-conscious about my triceps!

I'm loving this thread, thanks to everyone for sharing their tips! :smile:
  • pinkita
    Options
    Yay, they DO have that book in Kindle version! Just bought it so I'll be taking my Kindle to work tomorrow to read during my lunch hour. Thanks for the recommendation! :smile:
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. But since I still have more weight to lose, they tell me to keep up with healthy eating, cardio and weight training. To do low weight LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of repetition to burn the fat and get some lean muscles.

Feel free to add me ladies. We all need some motivation.
    Lots of repetitions in weight lifting build muscle endurance and little calorie burn. You'd be better off lifting heavier and raising your RMR.
    High repetitions to "build" lean muscle is a myth that won't seem to go away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

if you left smaller weight you will get smaller muscles if you left bigger weights you will incress the size of your muslces, once again I dont give one dame what any one tells me, for over weight woman any way when I left heavy weights they buld muslces underthe fat, when I do cargio type work outs for my arms it tightens them up, sorry you cant except this but I have seen this myself

I hope English is your second language.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    So, I've lost a lot of weight so far (40 pounds!), but my arms are still huge! They've even gotten bigger since I've been working out because I've added some muscle. The fat just won't leave them. :( Anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know any exercises that could help me get rid of the fat in my arms and not add a ton of muscle? Will I just reach a point in my weight loss that they'll naturally just start to diminish? I just want to feel confidant wearing tank tops and swimsuits this summer and showing off my weight loss... and I won't be able to do that with my arms just getting bigger and bigger :( Help me!

I have this same problem. Even when I was most fit in high school---my arms were still big! I've learned that's just the way we are going to stay forever lol.

I'll have big arms with you :flowerforyou:
  • nolady2012
    Options
    I have big arms. BUT it is getting better. I can tell the way that my sleeves fit now. If you really want to do something about your arms, then do BalletBody by Leah Sarago Upper Body Workout. For sizzle my gizzle! You'll thank me later, get it at amazon.com.