Atkins Phase 1: Introduction - Help?

Options
Can someone simply walk me through the introduction phase 1 of Atkins please? I guess I would just like to know what my goals are carb wise. I have the pdf eBook of Dr. Atkins New Revolution. I think that I have the main idea of it but if you some people could give me some extra advice it would be appreciated.

untitled.jpg

OTHER FOODS ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
Cheese
You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full fat, firm, soft, and semi-soft aged cheeses *, including:
cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

Salad Vegetables
You can have two to three cups per day:
alfalfa sprouts daikon mushrooms
arugula endive parsley
bok choy escarole peppers
celery fennel radicchio
chicory jicama radishes
chives lettuce romaine
cucumber mache sorrel
These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count one ounce of cheese as equivalent to one gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer's cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese-but check the carbohydrate content.
Other Vegetables

You can have one cup per day if salad does not exceed two cups-these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:
artichoke celery root pumpkin
hearts (celeriac) rhubarb
asparagus chard sauerkraut
bamboo collard greens scallions
shoots dandelion snow peas
bean sprouts greens spaghetti squash
beet greens eggplant spinach
broccoli hearts of palm string or wax beans
broccoli rabe kale summer squash
brussels kohlrabi tomato
sprouts leeks turnips
cabbage okra water chestnuts
cauliflower onion zucchini

Salad Garnishes
crumbled crisp bacon
grated cheese
minced hard-boiled egg
sauteed mushrooms
sour cream
Spices
All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar
Herbs
basil garlic rosemary
cayenne ginger sage
cilantro oregano tarragon

So what I take from my reading is that I can have 0 carbs during the introduction phase, then 20 after that when I am on OWL phase or did I read that wrong?

Any notes from anyone?
Also how do I ad pictures?

-THANK YOU

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Please read up on this diet before committing to it.
    http://www.atkinsexposed.org/

Carbohydrates are ESSENTIAL to the body, as they are the primary energy source for blood cells as well as the brain. Low levels of carbs in the diet lead to multiple health problems. Additionally, think about whether or not this is a truly sustainable lifestyle. Perhaps consider developing more healthy habits over all that you could carry through your life. A healthful diet and regular exercise are all you need to succeed!
  • Brookhaven64
    Brookhaven64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Atkins diet 3 times and have lost the weight. It will come off, but the problem is keeping it off. I enjoy doing Atkins, but if you ever go back to eating too much bread, pasta, ice cream it will all come back. I just began this myfitnesspal on Saturday and I am trying to eat only protein for breakfast (eggs and bacon ) for lunch I am drinking a Protein Shake, and then I have a regular meal for Dinner and try to watch the calories.. The Induction phase for Atkins says 20 carbs a day.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Induction is as above stated ^^^^ 20 a day...all from GOOD carbs. Yes, you are still eating carbs. After induction you follow the next three phases and will slowly be adding back in more good carbs. I used to follow Atkins and still firmly believe that not all of us can eat the MFP allotment of carbs and lose weight, nor do I think that eating all of the white starchy carbs are all they're cracked up to be. Try and get your carbs from fibrous veggies and fruit, as well as good whole grains (think brown!), keep your sugar in check and your protein high. Atkins is not for everyone.
  • robb7
    robb7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've done Atkins twice, lost big numbers but gained them right back. Maybe you'll not experience this. When I was doing the diet, i would generally eat less than 20 carbs a day.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Can someone simply walk me through the introduction phase 1 of Atkins please? I guess I would just like to know what my goals are carb wise. I have the pdf eBook of Dr. Atkins New Revolution. I think that I have the main idea of it but if you some people could give me some extra advice it would be appreciated.

untitled.jpg

OTHER FOODS ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
    Cheese
    You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full fat, firm, soft, and semi-soft aged cheeses *, including:
    cheddar
    cow, sheep and goat cheese
    cream cheese
    Gouda
    mozzarella
    Roquefort and other blue cheeses
    Swiss

Salad Vegetables
    You can have two to three cups per day:
    alfalfa sprouts daikon mushrooms
    arugula endive parsley
    bok choy escarole peppers
    celery fennel radicchio
    chicory jicama radishes
    chives lettuce romaine
    cucumber mache sorrel
    These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count one ounce of cheese as equivalent to one gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer's cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese-but check the carbohydrate content.
    Other Vegetables

You can have one cup per day if salad does not exceed two cups-these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:
    artichoke celery root pumpkin
    hearts (celeriac) rhubarb
    asparagus chard sauerkraut
    bamboo collard greens scallions
    shoots dandelion snow peas
    bean sprouts greens spaghetti squash
    beet greens eggplant spinach
    broccoli hearts of palm string or wax beans
    broccoli rabe kale summer squash
    brussels kohlrabi tomato
    sprouts leeks turnips
    cabbage okra water chestnuts
    cauliflower onion zucchini

Salad Garnishes
    crumbled crisp bacon
    grated cheese
    minced hard-boiled egg
    sauteed mushrooms
    sour cream
    Spices
    All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar
    Herbs
    basil garlic rosemary
    cayenne ginger sage
    cilantro oregano tarragon

So what I take from my reading is that I can have 0 carbs during the introduction phase, then 20 after that when I am on OWL phase or did I read that wrong?

Any notes from anyone?
    Also how do I ad pictures?

-THANK YOU

That is incorrect. You may have 20 net carbs (total carbs - fiber = net carbs), and at least 12 of those carbs will come from the salad and veggies you listed. The induction is 2 weeks, and then you can slowly add in foods, 5 carbs at a time (nuts, berries-NOT processed carbs!)
  • daniel3vans
    Options
    Some interesting things I must consider I go and continue to read the eBook again for a second time.Thanks for all the replies thus far. Much appreciated. :tongue: