Mayo Substitute?

Options
I thought I read somewhere that you could mix plain greek yogurt with something and it was a good tasting substitute for mayo. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the greek yogurt but for mayo substitute on sandwiches or wraps, I use hummus (plain or flavored) OR avacado. They provide the creaminess of mayo that I crave. Plus hummus is good source of protein :)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a mayo substitute! Mayo is delicious and a super integral part of.. anything! lol I LOVE MAYO!! But if you're looking out for fat and calories, I usually go for the light mayo, if I HAVE to. Some of them have 50 cals per serving, the one I get is 35 cals per serving. It's definitely not the same, but it sounds better than greek yogurt =/ Works for me! :)
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I use fat free miracle whip...10 calories per table spoon! :)
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have read that plan greek yogurt or fat free sour cream can be used as a substitute for mayo on/in most anything! I just bought some fat free sour cream to try it out last week. I used it in my tuna and it was a great low cal, no fat substitute and I was able to get the consistency that i like in my tuna. I haven't tried it in anything else yet, but so far it worked great!
  • dumbcowboyhat
    dumbcowboyhat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On a sandwich or wrap, or really anything that I want the taste of mayo in, I go with olive oil mayo. It has got 45 calories and 4g of fat per tbsp compared to regular mayo's 90 calories and 10g of fat.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    hummus!
  • pinkhu13
    pinkhu13 Posts: 133
    Options
    light miracle whip is 20cals per tbsp :)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I think its plain greek yogurt mixed with avocado makes a great sub for mayo (I think it was in the Dr. Oz show). I use hellmans light as well.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Fat free Greek yogurt or light mayo is good; however even light mayo has eggs in it. So, Vegenaise works. It tastes just as good, it is lighter tasting, and has no cholesterol. I hate Miracle Whip with a passion so that obviously wasn't an option for me. They make reduced fat Vegenaise too.
  • LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    On a sandwich or wrap, or really anything that I want the taste of mayo in, I go with olive oil mayo. It has got 45 calories and 4g of fat per tbsp compared to regular mayo's 90 calories and 10g of fat.

^^this^^ the Kraft brand olive oil mayo is actually pretty tasty. There are alot of substitutions I've willingly made, but there are still a few things I just want mayo on. :)

Condiments are a dietiers' wasteland as far as I'm concerned.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I use fat free miracle whip...10 calories per table spoon! :)

i like this, as well.

i also use the light mayo made with olive oil; i think it's 45 cals.
  • LastChanceForMe
    Options
    I use Hellmans Light - 35 cal Tbsp :smile:
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to Mayo so I have used just avacado or avacado and greek yogurt. Yummy! :o)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    light miracle whip is 20cals per tbsp :)

this is my choice as well.......
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'd go with avocado. Yes, there is fat, but it is the healthy kind.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use Hellman's Light as well and I think it tastes pretty close to the regular stuff.
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    ive found honey mustard has been a good substitute for mayo on sandwiches.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    um you can sub greek yogurt of sourcreme, never heard mayo. Just buy super light mayo, it has like 30 calories...
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I use miracle whip. It's got 3.5 grams of fat and 40 calories per tablespoon, but I am not trying to lose weight anymore.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I still use mayo. Either the Best Foods Light or Best Foods with Olive Oil. I think they have around 35 cals a tablespoon.

If you are trying to get away from mayo altogether, avocado is wonderful added onto sandwiches.