Popcorn....Diet killer? or Healthy Snack?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    I love the Kettle Corn from Popcorn Indiana...and I still have that sometimes!! :) 130cals for 2 cups!

This is my all-time favorite!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    I let myself have everything in healthy doses. I think popcorn can be a great snack as long as you avoid the ones that are covered in high fat flavourings. But if you pop them yourself they won't be bad at all. I'm a big fan of Tyrells Sweet & salty.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I pop popcorn on the stovetop in a pot with olive oil. DELICIOUS! Needs no additional flavoring and gets some healthy fat in there.

Added: 0 sodium is the number one benefit of this method for me.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    I love popcorn. I air pop mine and use Olivio spray butter. But I found having it every night of the week was killing my digestive system. So I limit it to about three to four times a week and give myself a day or two in between eating it. It's a diet saver for me because it fills me up.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Air pop/oil pop (healthy oil) than use a spray bottle with vinegar and a lil salt. So darn good!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Popcorn with a touch of olive oil and parmesan cheese. YUM!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    i like it..........plus when bored a 100 calorie bag takes a long time to eat, and can be a much less damaging snack to much on..........
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I'm a big fan of popcorn myself and as long as you don't go overboard with the salt and butter you are golden. Air popped is the best. Has the fewest cals but I will say it is very bland tasting.
  • When done right, a healthy snack. Love the air poppers and it's also not bad when made with coconut oil.

Usually though, I buy the already popped local brand Vic's Lite White Popcorn (half salt) - only 130 calories for 3 cups. It's VERY filling, lots of fiber.
  • Anet47
    Anet47 Posts: 24
    I eat popcorn with melted real butter on it several times per week. Everything in moderation.

YES! What Basschick said! Isn't that the whole point of MFP, after all? No forbidden foods, just being aware of what we eat. And there's nothing unnatural about popcorn in the Whirley Pop, with a little butter and salt. I can't say the same about the microwave kind, mind you. :-)
  • atownsend84
    atownsend84 Posts: 14 Member
    I have the 100 calorie light butter or kettle corn a few times a week, it does have a lot of sodium...but I figure you can't eat perfectly every single day with every meal and every snack, and I could splurge on something a lot worse, like potato chips/fast food/any other junk food. If you like it and can have it in moderation while meeting your calorie goal, why not?
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Healthy snack. I pop the kernels in my popcorn maker. I can decide how much butter and salt to put on it if any.
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    I eat popcorn! Anything is ok in moderation.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Depends on what you put on it and how you cook it...........the bagged microwave kind? Forget it! Pop it yourself with an air popper, much healthier.......lil salt, lil butter, yum!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Popcorn without butter = Good for you. Do I like it? Heck no!
    Popcorn with butter = Bad for you. Do I like it? Heck YEAH!!!

So, I don't eat popcorn any more, because the only way I like it is SATURATED.
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    I don't touch it. ONE regular sized bag is actually 3.5 servings...so if you eat the entire bag imagine the amount of calories you're eating. I'd stick with the 100-cal pop bags or individual sizes so you know precisely what you're eating. It's WAY too easy to eat too many calories with the stuff, and I find other alternatives like baked pita snacks that contain less cals [especially from fat like butters].
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    I have an air popper I used to make popcorn all the time! I would spray it with a little cooking spray and put a tsp of parmesan cheese!
  • I usually eat Olver Reddenbackers Popcorn that consist of 100 calories per bag. It's very satisfying and taste wonderful.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    I like that when I make it on the stovetop I can control how much oil goes into it. I can also control the salt. Plus popcorn with sea salt is 10 times better than whatever they use at the movies!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I love popcorn, but it is a diet killer for me. Corn products in general, but popcorn specifically, makes me feel very hungry... almost immediately after eating. This is one of those foods that I have had to eliminate from my diet. :sad: :brokenheart: But like someone who eliminates peanuts/diary/gluten because of a food allergy I don't miss it anymore. Just shows, foods affect people in different ways.