do u NEED to work out??

Options

Replies

• svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I'm a full time college student and I'm so busy with homework and studying and clinicals and working I really don't have time to work out. I'm also kinda like you and really don't know what to do once I get to the gym. I have no idea. I get to the gym once a week because it is on campus and I have an hour and a half break between classes so I go for an hour and just go on the treadmill at different inclines at 3.8 mph and that's it! I wish I could work out more but I don't have time or know what to do.

Solution: ask questions. I know at my gym there are people everywhere willing to answer questions about machines. Maybe schedule a one time only personal trainer session to give you an idea of what an effective work out should consist of.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What you NEED to do is find something you LOVE to do. I couldn't stand the thought of exercise until I found kickboxing. Now, I fricking LOVE it, and I choose to do it 6 days a week.

It has also led to me being open to trying other forms of exercise...aside from the boring ones. I give credit to those who can do the elliptical or treadmill on a daily basis. I'd rather bang my head against the wall -- that is just NOT fun, IMO. lol Really, though, a lot of the ladies on here seem to love Zumba, and I'm sure there are classes around you. Give that a try.

The others are right -- the more you exercise, the more you can eat, and come on, we all love food. Because of my workout today, for example, I had the option of eating 1253 calories MORE than my usual. Seriously, who doesn't want that? lol

You will lose weight if you watch what you eat and don't exercise, but if you want a real full on lifestyle change, find something you crave doing, and do it. Good luck on your journey! :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Working Out in this context can be either cardio training or resistance training.

While you can lose weight just by modifying your diet, your body will shed muscle with the fat to accommodate the caloric deficit thus lowering your resting metabolism, thus increasing the likelihood of regaining the weight as more fat.

The exercise pays dividends other than increased fat utilization.
    It improves mental health by being an anxiety and stress outlet. (I work out after work and this is very tangible)
    Better regulation of blood sugar and blood pressure.
    It actually boost overall energy levels.
    It improves neuromuscular efficiency. (quicker and stronger)
    It improves balance.
    Resistance training improves bone density. (think anti-osteoporosis)

Pick something you sorta enjoy (or at least tolerate) and try for 30 minutes three times a week as a start.

I have to disagree here. Just doing cardio isn't enough. Your body adapts to your own bodyweight. You need to resistance weight training to retain muscle mass during your diet.
  • Willpowerofsteel
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. It is really hard to get back into an exercise program, especially if you are feeling heavy and haven't been eating right for awhile. But it is SO worth it. Do you know whether any personal training sessions came with your gym membership? A lot of gyms include at least one personal training session with the membership so that members can learn how to use the equipment and get set up with an exercise program. If not, you can probably buy into one. Once you know how to use the machines, how to adjust the seat, how much weight you should be using...you'll feel so much more confident.

I also find that when I'm working out, it makes it easier for me to make good food choices. When I feel that cardio afterglow, or the sore muscles from lifting weights...it's like a constant reminder that I'm working toward my goals.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I did everything imagineable to avoid working out. Long story short - the weight always came back. Truth be told, I LOVE food! What has been working for me now (and will forever!) is I learned how to eat right (still learning, btw) which made a HUGE difference in my energy level, even after work and I started working with a personal trainer for 30 mins once a week. I was like you, I had the membership but had no idea what to do with it. Sure, I could use a treadmill, or gimp some machine, but ultimately I had no clue. Working with a trainer has taught me a tremendous amount about nutrition and exercise! Now, not only have I lost weight but I am LOVING the way I can see some definition in my arms and legs, as oppose to the loose skin I would see before. Trust me, you will feel AMAZING once you make up your mind to commit!!!

p.s. my ultimate anti-exercise excuse: I am an asthmatic. . . I used to use it all the time as a reason to not exercise. Now, I am amazed at how much BETTER I breath daily since beginning working out!

Edit to add: I am also a mother of 2, wife to 1, work full time at a Jewelry store, own my own business as a photographer, and am a full time college student. . . and yes, I still make time to work out because taking care of myself is important!
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I'm a full time college student and I'm so busy with homework and studying and clinicals and working I really don't have time to work out. I'm also kinda like you and really don't know what to do once I get to the gym. I have no idea. I get to the gym once a week because it is on campus and I have an hour and a half break between classes so I go for an hour and just go on the treadmill at different inclines at 3.8 mph and that's it! I wish I could work out more but I don't have time or know what to do.

Solution: ask questions. I know at my gym there are people everywhere willing to answer questions about machines. Maybe schedule a one time only personal trainer session to give you an idea of what an effective work out should consist of.

I scheduled a free training session when I signed up, warned the trainer that I cannot work out hard, and he kicked my *kitten*.. I was crawling up the stairs when I got home.. I refuse to work out like that.. its not practical for me right now. I need to start off slow. I'm also afraid of gaining the 4 pounds I lost last week back in muscle weight
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Put on some music at work and get the two year olds dancing with you. You get paid to do cardio, and you'll teach them to be healthy too.
  • Willpowerofsteel
    Options
    I should probably mention that I do NOT have A desk job; I'm a toddler teacher and I chase arounsd 9 2-year olds everyday for 8 hours. So I'm not just sitting around all day. Hence why I'm exhausted after work.

As a mom of three I totally understand that, toddlers are so exhausting!! But I have to say...when I'm exercising regularly, especially cardio...I feel like I have tons MORE energy to chase my kids around. It's counter-intuitive, but even when you're too worn out to exercise, exercising will actually give you more energy!
  • ashley67203
    Options
    If I had to choose between working out and counting calories I'd pick working out first. Just going on a quick 20-minute walk around the neighborhood always puts me in a pretty good mood. I get home from work around midnight when no one can see me so I just go out in my jammies and track shoes with my iPod and listen to a book on tape.

I also hate going to the gym so I gave up my membership. I feel like I'm breaking the machines because I don't know what I'm doing and the only time I asked for help I got some skinny tan girl who acted like I was a moron for not knowing anything about the equipment. Now I just work out at home (saved up what I had been paying for gym fees and bought a treadmill for the winter/summer months) and I feel much more comfortable.

Maybe if you started trying just a little bit of exercise first the good feeling that results from it would be enough to help motivate you to tackle the diet. That's what works for me.
  • kaseyAnne425
    Options
    I guess when I think of working out, I think of the gym.. would wii boxing or tennis be ok?? I have the danceling games too... that way, I can do it alone, in the comfort of my own home
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options

I scheduled a free training session when I signed up, warned the trainer that I cannot work out hard, and he kicked my *kitten*.. I was crawling up the stairs when I got home.. I refuse to work out like that.. its not practical for me right now. I need to start off slow. I'm also afraid of gaining the 4 pounds I lost last week back in muscle weight

argh. . . sounds like the wrong match for you and now you have a bad taste in your mouth :( Let your gym admins know about it, a lot of times they will give you another freebie with a different one! Don't let one trainer who didn't listen ruin it for ya!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight without exercise. Personally, i would never be successful. I love the benefits of working out. Not only does it help me become a healthier me, it help curb my appetite, allows me to eat more and still lose.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options

Unless you plan on lifting heavy and eating a ton of protein...you aren't going to gain back 4 pounds in muscle....also why would that be bad? Are you judging your success solely off of the scale? Muscle is healthy and one if the keys to keeping weight off.

Look, if you don't want to work out, then don't....but I promise you if you stuck with your trainer for more than one session you would gain strength and it would become easier.

I don't think you will ever find a time where it convenient to work out. It certaintly isn't for me. You just have to decide to either make it part of your life or not.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options

For sure you have to do something that's manageable for you! That's the key! However - I wouldn't be afraid about gaining the 4 pounds back in muscle weight ... it takes a long time to build muscle, it's not an instantaneous thing, and we as women are limited as to how much weight we can put on (in terms of muscle), so it's not as though you're going to bulk up or become heavy from building muscle and lifting weights. On the contrary; muscle is more compact that fat, so you'll be reshaping your figure into a lean, mean, fat-burning machine! Furthermore - focus on inches lost, how your clothes fit, and how you FEEL, rather than just a number on a scale :)
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I just get so tired at the gym.. I have no energy after work (cant go before) and I never know what to even do once I'm there.. I don't know how to.properly work out

Classes are there for that exact reason.

You can make excuses, or you can make progress.

I agree with this one and dont think this is negative as some people may have pointed out. Im a technician, for an audio visual/staging company... the stuff I lift is I'd dare say a bit heavier than a toddler. I also hate working out as part of my personality... I am also lucky enough to have a best friend that lives about 400m away that has heaps of experience and a gym in his garage... once you have someone show you and do the right things and techniques it makes things much easier..

I have fortnights where I will crack in excess of over 110 hours easily.. Im still going to find the time to do my workouts. If I can do it.. you can too! I used to be full of excusses... Its a frame of mind not a frame of body...
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    Options
    I just get so tired at the gym.. I have no energy after work (cant go before) and I never know what to even do once I'm there.. I don't know how to.properly work out

Try starting simpler, I go for walks during my lunch break. It's not much, but I feel better afterwards; and it makes the second half of the work day go faster
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'll be the beeyotch here, and say it, you are making excuses. I know, because I've made them for several years. I have young kids, I am a sahm mom, my husband travels all week, so yes, I know what its like to be so exhausted you think you can't do anything else that day.
    But you just get up and do it. You don't have to start out all hardcore, start with walking or elliptical machine is low impact but still good workout. Then in a week or two when your body gets used to the 'extra' work, you can start getting involved in a class or personal trainer, whatever else. If you really want to change, then you just have to try harder. No one changes their lifestyle over night. that's ridiculous. its a process and takes hard work.
    Working out actually makes me feel better, it makes me feel like im doing more and actually does give me more energy if I do it consistently, because you get stronger and fitter.
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    gym does no have to be your only exercise , find something you enjoy that gets you motivated, for me it is pole dancing, but for others it may be boxing, running, walking the dogs, yoga or even any type of dancing. Once you start knowing you way around the gym it will become more comfortable, i feel deterred when i join a new gym because i don't know where all the equipment is but once i learn everything i am just fine. So do some research, find something fun! exercise should be an outlet for stress, it is for me. the connect games or the wii fit can be enough, but no matter what you do, unless it is only cardio you will gain muscle, which might make you weight go up. but really would you rather weigh less or look and feel better? good luck. :)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    It does sound like excuses to me.

I get up at 6 am every day and go to class until 5 pm most nights. This includes 3 labs each week that are 3 hours long. Taking a ton of classes, getting good grades, and I still workout and study. I am exhausted after 10 hours on campus but still make it to the gym to lift or get in some cardio depending on the day. If you want it bad enough you will do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I should probably mention that I do NOT have A desk job; I'm a toddler teacher and I chase arounsd 9 2-year olds everyday for 8 hours. So I'm not just sitting around all day. Hence why I'm exhausted after work.

Frankly, you have a perfect routine of great daily activity then that will greatly assist. Few studies lately showing the great improvement that comes from non-exercise daily activity, and the problem the workforce has now compared to years ago, is the rather sedentary jobs. Not having that constant movement 5-6 hrs each day.

You may want to hit the weights once a weekend when recovered from work.

Otherwise, run the BMR calc on MFP under tools, manually set your daily net calorie goal to about 50 above that figure, don't worry about weight loss goal entered in profile or what MFP estimates as weight loss.

All of your substantial daily non-exercise activity is your deficit, and that is probably easily 1000 calories / day.

If you throw in some weights, log that under Cardio workouts, strength training, and eat half the estimated calories back.

Sounds like your biggest challenge will be what kinds of foods to be sustaining to all that activity.