How much do you spend?

Options
Fayve
Fayve Posts: 411 Member
On food each month, and for how many people?

I realize food costs differ quite a bit depending where you live too. Mostly just curious! I spend about $350-$400 a month in Canada for myself and one other. That's probably on the high side of what it should be. Would be interested to hear others, and the special things they do to keep within their budgets (would love to learn some couponing techniques for future, but the valid coupons seems so minimal in Canada, or maybe I'm just blind).

Replies

• EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I spend close to 200 dollars on food for myself a month..seriously..I sometimes have left overs, but at the end of the month I need to restock. The food I need to eat is so expensive. 9 dollars for a bag of salmon. 7 dollars for a bag of chicken. Lifestyle changes are expensive.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    when the kids were younger (three of them, two boys one girl) I could feed all of us on about $50 per wk. Now they are older and eat ALL the time. I spend about $200 per week. Ugh!
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm also in Canada, in Northern BC where everything has to be trucked in.

For a family of 5, we spend around $800 a month. I"m sure we spend more some months.

Its really expensive here though, just because of where we are. And to the OP, its really hard to get coupons for Canada. The ones that are out there are almost all for pre-packaged junk.
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I am in Indiana. I'd say 400-500 a month for 3 of us.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think my teenage son eats about $400 a month.

We average about $800 a month for a family of four but could probably cut that back if we tried.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I'm in Indiana and it's less than $400/mon for 5 of us. I coupon, garden, watch sales, shop Aldi and minimal processed food. My parents are beef farmers, so I get a quarter of beef a year as a Christmas gift, so I'm not having to spend as much on meat.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    £160 a month, just for me.

My fiancé spends £40 a month.
  • kel_c
    kel_c Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in South Texas, I spend around $300 a month for 2 of us.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Southern Ontario, and yes, couponing in Canada is not nearly the same thing as in the US. Stores don't do double coupons, etc. but are more inclined to have loyalty programs.

Our family of three probably spends $600 a month, but that includes the other stuff you get at the grocery store, like laundry soap, health care items, etc. We rarely eat out and I pack my lunch for work every day, so that's almost every meal. For us, to cut costs, we hit Costco (with a LIST!), then No Frills for the staples, and our local grocery store for the rest. Buy in bulk when you can, and cook from scratch. Takes time, but you save money and eat healthier!
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm in southern AB and I do about $400 for two and that includes food, cleaning supplies any toiletries things like that. I ALWAYS buy thing when they are on sale and when bulk goes on sale it's in my cart because like everyone else said Canada does not really have many coupons. Also my husband eats at least 2x as much as me a day (to loose weight) so having to triple what I making from before I got married last year per meal has been a HUGE change to budget and cooking habits.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Probably close to $600 a month for 2 adults and a preteen. Of course, my husband is a very picky eater that won't touch a vegetable (he is skinny fat) so he eats a lot of take out.
    I cook all of my meals at home and do eat a lot of Smart Ones for lunch (because they are easy and yummy!) but I have noticed since I stopped drinking soda, our grocery bill has gone down a bit.
    I also coupon once a month, for the largest shopping trip and that does save some.
    Btw, I live in Tampa, Florida!
  • Thesis_gut
    Thesis_gut Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I live alone in London, UK and spend about 100 pounds a month on food. This doesn't include going out for food though (although I do that at most twice a month). It also doesn't include alcohol, on which I spend another 85 pounds per month.

edit: 100 pounds is currently about 158 US dollars.
  • emeraldowl
    emeraldowl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Probably about £180.00 a month for myself.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I would say 20-50 a week for just myself.
  • I'm in the uk and spend £320 a month, that includes toiletries, cleaning products, dog food and nappies/wipes for my toddler. So it's not too bad!
  • ladyamandajane
    Options
    I,m in the UK and spending around £250 per month for me and my Fiance, eating healthy cost more i think in the UK, if you want to eat junk and fast food it would be loads cheaper, but would be terrible on the waist line!!! do all you other Brits agree???
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    600-800 for myself.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    For 2 people, I spend similar to the following:

$550.00 for CSA membership that includes 26 weeks, so that is $21.15 per week. In the months that I don't get a CSA delivery, I purchase bi-weekly produce basket from our local Coop group, which is $23.50 for a huge bag of vegetables and fruit.

I spent $80.00 from a local farmer who has a meat market and that is nearly a month's worth of meat for my husband and I.

I started making our cleaning and personal hygiene (soaps, shampoos, deodorant, toothpaste, and use soap nuts for laundry).

We buy coffee, toilet tissue, paper towels and stuff like that at the grocery store.

So, we spend at the most an average of $50.00 per week.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    We live in Georgia and probably spend $200-$300 a month on food, mostly at Whole Foods. Our weekly bill changes depending on how many staples we have to buy. If it's a normal week, $50 is fine. If we need olive oil ($50 for a big tin of the good stuff) or cheese, $100 is normal. Before we go shopping we look through the kitchen to see what we have and make a menu for the week. The menu and the shopping list is on an app on our phones. We buy what's on the list though that may change once we get there and see what's on sale. If heirloom tomatoes are on sale, we make a red sauce and meatballs. Even if it's not on the list, we can get 7-8 meals out of one pot of sauce. Buying what's on sale and what's in season makes a huge difference. I like being able to shop at Whole Foods so I can get organic/pastured foods. If we make just a little effort to watch what we buy, we don't spend any more than we did at Kroger or Publix.
  • britexmom
    britexmom Posts: 145
    Options
    i spend about $900 a mth on groceries (that does include paper/cleaning supplies too), i have me, dh, and 3 of my kids still at home (18, 15, 10) plus we have the GF of the 18 yr old with us for dinner 5 nights a week.
    we dont have any stores in my area that double coupon and i refuse to shop at walmart (hate that place) so i shop either at HEB or super target, 2 of my kids take lunch to school 3 days per week and dh takes lunch almost everyday too...so dividing up the $900 by the amount of meals i get out of the supplies is doing pretty good.