Help with recent vegetarian daughter!!

Options
My daughter who is 9 years old recently of her own will decided that she no longer wanted to eat meat. My husband and I eat meat as well as our other 4 children. I respect her choice and support her in her choice. I make sure she is eating healthy portions of veggies and carbs and also getting her protein from other sources so she isn't deficient.

My question is that her appetite has gone down and she has very runny BM to the point where she sometimes can't hold it in. It started happening a few days ago. She has been meatless for about 2 weeks. She is going to see her pediatrician but I just want to see what you guys think is going on.

Could it be her body just hasn't adjusted to her new diet?

Replies

• melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not sure about that, glad she is going to the pediatrician.

Are you sure she is getting a balanced diet? What protein source is she eating now?
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    maybe too much fiber all at once....
    I went for almost 2 months with no animal products but it was so hard specially when you have to cook for the whole family.... I now limit my meat intake to 2 days a week. Pediatrician will give you a better idea on what's going on,...
  • cawleen
    cawleen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The same thing initially happened to me. I'm an on again off again vegetarian. I just don't like the taste of meat. If she goes back to eating meat, her body will go through the same stress symptoms.

In general, vegetarians eat less because on average they are considering their body their temple and use food simply to fuel their body. Over eating is not all that common.

If your daughter is eating legumes/beans, lentils, quinoa, etc., they are full of fiber and filling in themselves.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    She is eating veggies of all colors, beans , legumes, nuts, soy protein, tofu, grains etc...she really is getting a balanced diet so I am thinking it is just her body adjusting to the changes. I hope so but her appt. is tomorrow.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't know your daughter's motivation for becoming a vegetarian. There is a possibility she sees it as a way to lose weight. If so, then she may be doing other things to lose weight. 9 is kind of young for bulimia, but I don't think it's unheard of.

If she's using ex-lax or correctol, you can tell by putting a few drops of liquid plumber in the toilet with her bowel movement. It will turn it bright pink.
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good. Perhaps it's the soy products.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I went meatless for a year with out any problems. Meat is now still a treat, i eat it once a month maybe. Im glad she is seeing a Dr. I doubt she is dieting as suggested above, but it cold be the too much fibre, or soya, or milk. Milk and soya do that to me. I think she ll be fine. Im happy you are supporting her and not criticizing her. All the best for you both.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My guess as well is too much fiber, or perhaps an allergy or intolerance of dairy or soy products. If she has recently introduced soy, have her try taking soy out for a week to see if it still happens.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    She is not trying to lose weight, she actually saw a video on animal treatment in a meat packing plant and it made her not want to eat meat any more. She lives animals and it just hurt her to see the treatment. She isn't taking laxatives or anything like that because we don't have those in the house at all. So it can't be that!
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I went veg. It went away after about a month. It's just her body adjusting. Also, if you're worried about protein intake, protein shakes are pretty good for that in a pinch!
  • M♥NIQUE
    M♥NIQUE Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't eat much meat...sometimes I go days with out all together....I dabbled w/vegetarian & vegan lifestyles but the body always seems to want want your trying to abstain from...and brother can hook up a mean plate of ribs =)
    Sometimes supplements like calcium have added magnesium which can be a stimulant...& honestly sometimes people just aren't cut out for this way of eating. A lot of imitation meats out there have fermented products that just don't sit well in some stomachs. Stick w/plain tofu which comes in varying textures....firm is great for sauteing & can be doctored up nicely (for meat substitutes) and the softest makes the creamiest of shakes/smoothies.....Mushrooms are great for their great meaty texture too. Keep track of fiber intake, read labels and .....Good Luck =)
  • canaryinacage
    Options
    I would suggest getting her to a counsellor as well. If she's been traumatised from seeing a video of animal slaughter, that could stress her out. Stress does crazy things to our bodies, her symptoms could be from the anxiety and depression she feels.

Kudos to her taking the step to reduce meat, but at 9, it's possible she's stopped eating it from fear and is too upset to talk about it?
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Is she eating a lot of extra dairy in place of meat? I ask because if I have a lot of milk that's what happens to me - it's mild lactose intolerance.

Regardless of what we say I think it's good that you are getting her checked out.
  • Fififantastic
    Options
    My beautiful daughter is also a vegetarian. I eat meat, although not alot of red meat, but when I was pregnant with her I could not stand the sight of meat. I couldnt touch it or smell it without wanting to throw up. When she was a baby and I started introducing meat into her diet she would turn her nose up, push it away or spit it out. when she got old enough to talk, she said she just didnt like it and it made her feel sick. Now she is a bright, healthy, active, teenager. She plays sports, does dance classes, has a very full social life and does not eat meat, chicken, fish or eggs at all. Good on you for respecting your daughters wishes and supporting her decision not to eat meat. I cook yummy healthy vegetarian meals for my family and when we have a meal with meat I just dont serve her the meat. Tonight I am cooking spaghetti bolognaise, I will cook up a big pot of vegies, and then add the spaghetti sauce. In another pan I will cook the meat and then add some of the vegie and spaghetti sauce to the meat for the meat eaters in the family so everyone is happy. She also loves vegie burgers, tofu, falafels, vegetarian lasagne, nachos (no meat) and will happily sit down to a big plate of steamed vegies and plonk a big dollop of mashed avocado on top. Having a vegetarian daughter has forced me to get pretty creative in the kitchen and thats a good thing :) get some advice from your doctor about her diet to make sure she is getting enough of all the good stuff she needs and experiment with some recipes. Enjoy :)
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    She is not trying to lose weight, she actually saw a video on animal treatment in a meat packing plant and it made her not want to eat meat any more. She lives animals and it just hurt her to see the treatment. She isn't taking laxatives or anything like that because we don't have those in the house at all. So it can't be that!

WOW! I am so proud of her.....it is very inhumane they way most of the animals are treated. It is very shocking to watch! For this readon I don't eat much meat anymore either (haven't been able to give it up completely, but working on it). I also do not eat pork at all, being Muslim. Again I am proud of her, and glad she is going to the PED tomorrow, hope she is better soon:flowerforyou:
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My guess as well is too much fiber, or perhaps an allergy or intolerance of dairy or soy products. If she has recently introduced soy, have her try taking soy out for a week to see if it still happens.

Sounds like me when I eat gluten or dairy. It may even be a food she use to eat before but eats much more of now that could be a problem if its a food intolerance issue.
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I turned vegetarian when I was 14. This was quite hard in a family of big meat eaters. It's very good you all being supportive and making sure she is getting all the correct vitamins. Eating a lot more veg get could upset her body balance but this should settle down within a few days. It's always good to see a doc to make sure.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I would start an elimination diet. Take out all dairy and gluten then slowly add them back in. She probably is getting too much fiber as well. Try getting making sure that she is getting more soluable fiber such as oatmeal. That will help some.

A good probiotic (3-5 billion CFUs per day) will help to replenish the healthy flora in her intestines and help combat some of this problam.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    She is eating veggies of all colors, beans , legumes, nuts, soy protein, tofu, grains etc...she really is getting a balanced diet so I am thinking it is just her body adjusting to the changes. I hope so but her appt. is tomorrow.

It sounds like she is getting a varied diet. See what the paediatrician says though as you might be overcompensating on something.

Out of experience when I turned veggie my bm's changed, I used to have quite painful varied bm's, when I first went veggie they were a bit all over the shop before settling down and becoming regular.
  • morefitmom
    morefitmom Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My middle daughter (9 yrs old) decided the same thing in July. However, I did convince her to be a pescatarian instead because I was afraid that I would not get her all the nutrients that she needed otherwise. There is a period where her BM was runny and she went to the restroom alot. I think that it is normal in the beginning.