1g of protein for each pound of body weight???....maybe not

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I have been doing research to know where the 1g of protein for one pound of body weight come from and what I find is the fact that we probably need less then that.

Many articles talk about 0.45 to 0.7g of protein for one pound of body weight.

This is not a scientific report but an exemple of what I've found

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php

what do you think about protein intake?

Replies

• Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I like to error on the side of caution, plus i find my (n=1) recovery is complete **** if im less then 1.5g/lb. I also just like meat so i try to eat as much as possible.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I think the higher numbers are promoted to encourage people to buy protein shakes. The truth is that most people get enough protein from their daily diet.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think it's .8-1gr per pound of LEAN BODY MASS... not body weight. This is where I made the mistake and was eating 180-190 gr protein a day (obviously supplementing).
  • Larommi
    Larommi Posts: 25
    Options
    I have been doing research to know where the 1g of protein for one pound of body weight come from and what I find is the fact that we probably need less then that.

Many articles talk about 0.45 to 0.7g of protein for one pound of body weight.

This is not a scientific report but an exemple of what I've found

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/guide-to-protein/recommended-protein-intake.php

what do you think about protein intake?

I did a ton of research on this and found that .7g per lbs to be more common. That being said, I am a big person and there is no way I am going to consume that much right now. That will be a better number when I hit my weight goals but right now that is simply too much protein.

After talking to a couple people at various GNC's when I was looking for a supplement, and discussing what I would be doing for weight lifting, I am right now staying around 100-120g per day. Its not real hard to hit with my diet and it seems more reasonable. I will be talking to a nutritionist at the end of the month and will get what I am sure is going to be a conflicting amount.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on my training day, .8 is my rest day intake, I don't stress going above that usually unless I'm cutting and have training either the day before or after that's strenuous, on workout days I aim for 1-1.5g, hasn't affected me negatively. I wouldn't trust Mens Health magazines though or that article, it seems like their always coming up with something "new" that's really "old" and they rewrite it to fill space. I personally think for me my body seems to thrive more on protein and carbs and a moderate fat intake. I enjoy meats/cheeses etc more than I do nuts and grains.

I use this link for setting all my macros/calories. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think it's .8-1gr per pound of LEAN BODY MASS... not body weight. This is where I made the mistake and was eating 180-190 gr protein a day (obviously supplementing).

This ^^ An obese person shouldn't be eating their weight in protein, your supposed to aim for your goal body weight (within reason) in this case. Most of the obese/overweight people dieting probably aren't working at an intensity as say a BBer is so their needs would be less.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not "experienced" yet, but for the past 3 months I've been researching my brains out on this type of subject. I first learned "1g per lb of LEAN body mass" which gets me to 118g. Pretty easy to hit.

I then started seeing a lot of people saying 1g per lb of weight. That would be 170 for me. I would have to supplement with powder.

If you take your low multiplier - .7g per lb of weight - that gets me to 119g of protein - exactly the LEAN number that I see most often.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I go the route of 1g of protein for each pound of lean body mass. At my current weight of 190 and my current BF% my lean body mass is around 150lbs. So I consume 150g of protein as my goal.

Quick comparison:
    This is about 0.8g per pound of my body weight of 190lbs. So its in line with the idea to consume 0.7g per lb.

I think if you are overweight, the rule of thumb that is often shared is to eat 1g of protein of your ideal body weight or your goal weight. So if you are a female weighing 200lbs and your goal is 140lbs then you should consume about 140g of protein.

None of this is backed up by any science, just a bunch of tips and bro-science I have heard on MFP. I am happy with the results I am seeing going the route I am with protein.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    So if you are 200lbs, it is 140gm vs 200gm if you use the .7 (I think). I guess I figure if I am somewhere in between I am safe.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I have these thoughts from time to time. Ever since I can remember it's always been about high protein high protein! I'm slowly allowing myself less, on rest days, but for days I train I still want at least 1g /lb LBM, but usually I find myself "feeling" better mentally if I eat the 1g/lb body weight.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was confused with this yesterday and I asked a question about protein intake. It is confusing still, but I decided to just go by 40/30/30. My current weight is 121.4lb, I don't really have an ideal weight, I would say it's a pretty decent weight, but I want to build a bit of muscle and burn off the excess fat that is on my abs and chest. I am noticing it quite often in the mirror and I am happy with my results. I just need to work more on muscle building.

My current protein intake goal is 122g a day. It has increased a bit today because I did some cardio so it's shot me up to 142g. I think I can manage to get that. I did have a protein shake earlier. I had 1 egg in the morning and I just had 3 eggs scrambled with 100g of chicken breast cut up and plopped it in with my scrambled eggs. I've got 29g left for the day. So I think I can achieve this with 100g of chicken or other forms of lean meat's and scrambled egg. It is quite filling as well.

Anyway, I'm going off topic slightly lol. I did a bit of research yesterday and I've seen my protein intake go from 88g to 170g. It's hard to tell how much you really need. So I just went with 40/30/30 and it seems reasonable and easy to hit with proper protein sources.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I have these thoughts from time to time. Ever since I can remember it's always been about high protein high protein! I'm slowly allowing myself less, on rest days, but for days I train I still want at least 1g /lb LBM, but usually I find myself "feeling" better mentally if I eat the 1g/lb body weight.

Same here. I was at one time aiming for 1g/lb body weight, but have recently gone down to 1g/lb LBM and seem to be fine with it. I also had to supplement with protein powder to meet the high 130g and there were days when I just could not finish my chicken... LOL. Just didn't seem right to be forcing myself to eat that much chicken.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I too thought it was lbm not total weight for the calculation (dietary fat was the one I used total weight for).

I shoot for between 175 and 200 g of protein a day, seems to be working for me.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context. A person looking to maintain current body weight and general health doesn't have the same protein needs as a male bodybuilder trying to maximize lean mass retention while dieting down to 8% bodyfat.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering lately what was more important, the percentage (i.e. 40/30/30) or the actual grams (1g per LBM or body weight) Here 's a link to an interesting article that differentiate needs based on activity level. I saw something similar elsewhere, but can't recall where.

http://competitiondiet.org/?p=128

Here is an excerpt
    How to Calculate Amount of Protein Needed

Most studies suggest that in the face of adequate calories and carbohydrates, the following protein intakes are sufficient:

STRENGTH training – 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)

ENDURANCE training – 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)

ADOLESCENT in training – 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)

But protein intake becomes more important when total number of calories or carbohydrates has been lowered.

Protein should be calculated based on the amount of lean body mass, but can be calculated with only the total body if needed.

If body fat is known, use 1.25-1.5g per LEAN weight
    If body fat percentage is unknown, but is average, use 1-1.25g per pound weight.

If you are very lean or if you are on a low calorie diet then protein becomes more important so stay toward the higher levels:

Body fat known, lower calorie intake = 1.33-2 x pounds lean mass
    Average body fat, lower calorie intake = 1.25-1.5 x pound total mass

If you are very overweight or very inactive and not on a low calorie diet, stay towards the lower end of the level:

Protein = approximately 1 x total weight (can go down to 1 x LEAN MASS).
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    right, so if i want to pack on muscle i shouldn't be eating 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight? I've read even 1.5g of protein is needed for that. That's why while cutting i tend to go with 1g per lb of bodyweight.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build muscle, you need protein. This is because your entire body is made from amino acids and fat. It is powered by glucose (taken from the complex chains of glucose found in all carbs). To grow muscle one must consume more protein than suggested by many on this thread.

Think of your body as a house. Basic government guideline amounts are for maintenance and will simply replace broken tiles, smashed windows etc. However, if you want to extend on this house, think of it as a extension. You need the bricks and tiles to build the extension with, this is the extra protein.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    So since I'm cutting and zigzagging calories on training & rest days, would I need 1g/lb body weight? Or 1g/lb LBM?? I'm lifting weights 3 days per week, eating at a caloric deficit, and trying to maintain LBM (while taking advantage of newbie gains).
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    So since I'm cutting and zigzagging calories on training & rest days, would I need 1g/lb body weight? Or 1g/lb LBM?? I'm lifting weights 3 days per week, eating at a caloric deficit, and trying to maintain LBM (while taking advantage of newbie gains).

Body weight. No one here has a system to measure their body weight unless they use sophisticated techniques that few of us can afford!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I am not too fussed with it from a "build muscle" point of view, but I do know that if I dont eat enough protein (at every meal) I am constantly hungry.....

The moment I up my protein to I keep being satiated right through the day - so for me a higher protein - lower carb mix works well....

I also believe the formula is 1 g per lb of LEAN Body Weight - rather than full body weight....