Needs tips for getting more fiber

Options
Please share what you do to increase your fiber intake. I'm in need of ideas. Also, what is your goal everyday when it comes to fiber? I don't think I'm getting enough. Thanks!!:smile:

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    psyllium husk is a good way to add fiber. just beware that many products claiming psyllium husk have added junk. get the pure pyllium husk. I use yerba prima or Trader Joes "secrets of the psyllium"
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I was determined to get more fiber in my diet. Here are my personal tips:
    1. Switch to whole wheat bread. Make sure it had at least 3g fiber per slice.
    2. Polaner all fruit jelly with fiber is really yummy and has 3g fiber per tbsp.
    3. beans. 1/2 cup=6 grams fiber
    4. Fiber one cereal. 1 cup - 11 g
    5. whatever hot cereal you eat, switch to oat bran. it's like cream of wheat.
    1/3 cup dry= 5 g of fiber. You can add the jelly to it. I just add sugar.
    6. switch to ronzoni plus. it is still "white" pasta, but has the same amount of fiber
    as barilla wheat/four blend pasta. I like the ronzoni plus better.
    7. fruits and veggies. eat at least 3 to 5 servings a day. Lots of fiber.

Start slow and drink lots of water. Your body will need it to process the fiber.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump
  • my31169
    my31169 Posts: 22
    Options
    Add ground flax seed or the clear benefiber powder to your oatmeal or yogurt in the AM. I also add the clear benefiber power to my coffee in the AM. Both really make a difference!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the sameeeee thing!
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, whole grains. I aim for 40 grams of fiber a day.
  • longhop
    longhop Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit and wholewheat, such as oat cakes and ryvita!
  • mrswilson0511
    mrswilson0511 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First think i would do is add fiber to your profile to show. I get my fiber with apples and any sort of fiber bar.

This will be good thread to watch. =)
  • raylenel
    raylenel Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd love some ideas too.
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am always over in my sugar, so I'm trying really hard to stay away from fruits right now. :ohwell:
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    i try to eat oatmeal or whole grain toast. i also add flaxseed to my smoothies.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Veg, veg & veg! I always go over my fibre allowance.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I've found that if the majority of my intake of food is vegetables in any given day getting enough fiber is no problem. It was only a problem when I was eating mainly boxed processed foods.
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    Add ground flax seed or the clear benefiber powder to your oatmeal or yogurt in the AM. I also add the clear benefiber power to my coffee in the AM. Both really make a difference!

benefiber is a great idea! I haven't thought about adding it to yogurt or oatmeal! :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My goal's 25, which I set having googled around for health advice. However I really struggle to combine this with calorie targets, even though I know high fibre is really important for me because of family history re bowel cancer. So far lentils have been the solution, but I'd like other ideas, especially for the long term...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Beans. I made a crock pot of black bean soup over the weekend: 22g of fiber per serving.
  • lchovet
    lchovet Posts: 68
    Options
    more fresh fruit and veg.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, seeds, and legumes have lots of fiber. As long as you eat "whole" foods you will probably make your goal.

Steer clear of juices, white rice & white flour ... sub in brown rice & whole wheat. Watch cereals, some are good sources of fiber and others are not (even when the label says "whole grain"). Kashi Go Lean has really good fiber numbers.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans, the musical fruit are filled with fibre. My husband makes an awesome chili that is filling, not high cal, and full of fibre.

Make sure you drink enough water so that the fibre can do its job.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific fiber goal, but I am always over the MFP recommendation. I get most of my fiber from brown rice and veggies. I don't eat much bread, but when I do I eat 100% whole grain. I use mostly barilla plus pasta when I eat pasta.

If you are having trouble getting enough fiber add more whole grains, or take a fiber supplement.

ETA: And beans. I eat a lot of beans. So versatile!