C25K.....

Options
kandyjo
kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
Ok, so.... I am seriously considering starting the C25K. I have heard awesome things about it from a few different people. I am currently uploading the podcasts for all nine weeks...
Does anyone have any suggestions? What has been your experience (if any) with the C25K?

Replies

• fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    You might want to search for different Couch to 5 K topics, there are at least two very recent ones on here :smile:

I myself started C25K some 6 weeks ago and yesterday I did Week 6 Day 2. That means I only have the "long" runs left (no stops in between) and to tell you the truth, it horrifies me :happy: But I managed to run 20 mins last week, so is there any reason why I couldn't increase the number by 5 this week? :wink:

Good luck with the program - it's worth all the effort :heart:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I am really considering doing this too. I think the Podcasts will help tremendously... Too bad I am IPOD illiterate... how do I get the podcasts? lol:blushing:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started 4 weeks ago. I am on week 1 again. I did week 1, week 2 twice and started with week 1 again. Don't feel like you have to push yourself. AND make sure you have a rest day in between the runs or it will kick your butt. I usually ride my bike or do some strength training on my days off. Stick with it, it will get easier (Week 1 is not as bad this time as it was the first time :laugh: ) I wish I had started sooner. You will do great, just don't get discouraged. I don't have an IPOD but downloaded the podcasts on my phone and my MP3 player. I like Suz's the best (hip/hop) but Ulreys are good if you like the techno music. I love the fact that they prompt you to run and walk.
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I am really considering doing this too. I think the Podcasts will help tremendously... Too bad I am IPOD illiterate... how do I get the podcasts? lol:blushing:

This is the link I was given...
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html
    All 9 podcast are there...you just have to upload them....
    Don't worry....I'm not to savvy with this sort of thing either.... I get my hubby to do it LOL
    I just uploaded them to a folder on our computer so he could easily find them. I will have him do the rest when he gets home tonight from work :happy:
    Good luck. I would love to stay in touch with you and see how it goes for you :wink:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I started 4 weeks ago. I am on week 1 again. I did week 1, week 2 twice and started with week 1 again. Don't feel like you have to push yourself. AND make sure you have a rest day in between the runs or it will kick your butt. I usually ride my bike or do some strength training on my days off. Stick with it, it will get easier (Week 1 is not as bad this time as it was the first time :laugh: ) I wish I had started sooner. You will do great, just don't get discouraged. I don't have an IPOD but downloaded the podcasts on my phone and my MP3 player. I like Suz's the best (hip/hop) but Ulreys are good if you like the techno music. I love the fact that they prompt you to run and walk.

OK....do you also have a link to Suz's? I'm not a huge techno fan.... Didn't know there were music options!!! :happy: Not a real big hip hop fan, but I can get into that more than techno :laugh:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Don't worry....I'm not to savvy with this sort of thing either.... I get my hubby to do it LOL
    I just uploaded them to a folder on our computer so he could easily find them. I will have him do the rest when he gets home tonight from work :happy:
    Good luck. I would love to stay in touch with you and see how it goes for you :wink:

Cool, thank you! I could probably figure it out I guess... When are you starting?
  • jcpalmer1day
    Options
    I just ran a half-marathon in May... The beginning of my training, I used the C25K program and loved it. Then for the rest of my training, I used the Hal Higdon Novice Half-Marathon training program.

I used to hate running... now I love it!
  • kandyjo
    Options

Cool, thank you! I could probably figure it out I guess... When are you starting?

I'm thinking that we will start Monday (July 20th) and go Mon. Thur. Sat. I will have to run that by my hubby since he will be doing it with me....But next week definitely. I figure, the sooner I start, the sooner I ROCK!! :drinker:
  • kandyjo
    Options
    I just ran a half-marathon in May... The beginning of my training, I used the C25K program and loved it. Then for the rest of my training, I used the Hal Higdon Novice Half-Marathon training program.

I used to hate running... now I love it!

Not a huge fan of running either, but I want to be :happy:
    So, I will also check out this Hal Higdon Novice Half-Marathon training when I finish the C25K!
    Thanks for the encouragement....
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am personally on week 2 of the pod casts. I think its great cause I always shyed away from interval running because I hated the idea of having to look at my watch.. so I just ran as much as I could, walk then repeat until I just got too tired but it didn't get any easier cause I just made my legs hurt more..lol
    Whats the worse that can happen if you try it? You end up not liking it and you move on to something else.
  • jcpalmer1day
    Options
    The podcasts are great... And I prefer outdoor running to treadmill running, so before I knew about the podcasts, it was just too difficult to try to do the program. But having him in my ear telling me when to walk and when to run was perfect!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    how do you log C25K on MFP? I can't figure it out, please and thank you!!!!:smile:
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    Do it. It's fantastic. Yesterday I got a bit of a beatdown (it was my first day of the new week) and I loved every minute of it, instead of wanting to give up like I usually would. It's really awesome that your husband would do it with you too. Motivate each other when one of you is having a bad day.

But yeah. Just do it. Seeing yourself doing things you thought you could NEVER do (and haven't been able to do since middle school) makes it so worthwhile.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    how do you log C25K on MFP? I can't figure it out, please and thank you!!!!:smile:

I just posted in your other thread. :)

I totalled the minutes jogging and the minutes walking and logged it that way.
  • naugustyniak
    Options

OK....do you also have a link to Suz's? I'm not a huge techno fan.... Didn't know there were music options!!! :happy: Not a real big hip hop fan, but I can get into that more than techno :laugh:

Here is the link to Suz

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86
  • naugustyniak
    Options

I have an HRM and just log that way.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

Sure, we could check in with eachother. I will start Monday if I can get the podcasts. I will do it Monday, Wednesday, Saturday.
  • fanta014
    fanta014 Posts: 56
    Options
    I use Nicole's podcasts (a little like Suz's, hip hop, pop and all that) that can be found at:
    http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
    If you're the type to get bored easily, there are a few different options to choose from during the first weeks so you don't have to do all three days of a week with the same music.

Here's another set of podcasts, but I haven't used these myself:
    http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html

If you like Christian indie music, this is the podcast I used for week 2 (there are also the other weeks as well):
    http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Do it! This is a great program. I have always despised running and now I actually look forward to it. Some runners that I talk to via Twitter told me to make sure when I jog to go nice and slow, not fast. Just go at your own pace and this program builds you up slowly, every time I think I won't make it I do and so can you! I am on week 5 day 1 tonight. Keep us posted on how you do! Good Luck!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    The long runs on paper scared me but I was able to do them all...I am so happy that I started and finished C25k - it's an awesome feeling. I didn't use podcasts just me, the track and my ipod.