no one noticed :(

Options
So it has been 2 months since I started really getting serious about working out and since then I have lost 11 pounds. I finally met up with a few friends this past weekend and no one noticed! Just feeling bummed because although I know I've lost some I havent seen any changes in my body and niether has anyone else :(

I know that results dont come overnight....

Im still gonna stick with it and keep on moving cause I know there have been more changes in me than the just the scale moving. Eating right, excercising, and being active has now become a part of my life...

Replies

• AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Could it have been what you were wearing?
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It may be that they noticed, but felt uncomfortable mentioning it. Lots of people avoid "noticing" that someone is looking thinner or healthier because they don't want to face their own need to do the same things. OR - they may not be saying anything to you but talking among themselves about how fabulous you're looking. :o)
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    sometimes people are afraid to say "... heeeeyyy have you lost weight?" or something along those lines...

But dont worry! you are doing great!!!!
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    It may be that they noticed, but felt uncomfortable mentioning it. Lots of people avoid "noticing" that someone is looking thinner or healthier because they don't want to face their own need to do the same things. OR - they may not be saying anything to you but talking among themselves about how fabulous you're looking. :o)

I know a lot of people (myself included) also feel weird about mentioning weight loss because when you acknowledge that someone lost weight and looks great, it also feels a little like you're saying "Hey, I noticed you used to be fat! But not anymore!" Feels a little weird to me sometimes.

I wonder if that's the case for any of them?
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    i agree with previous posters. Alot of people are uncomfortable to say anything until maybe then see a DRASTIC weight loss. One of my friends was losing weight & i knew he lost about 30 lbs but one day he came in wearing a new shirt & i could REALLY tell..So buy yourself a new top to celebrate your great loss! ;)
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    There's a girl at my work that has lost a lot of weight recently and I always want to tell her how good she looks and what a great job she's doing, but I never comment because she's the type who would respond with "Oh, so I used to be fat?" and it's just uncomfortable. Maybe they didn't want you to think they thought you were fat before?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    There is a saying, it take 4 weeks for you to notice the change, 8 weeks for your closest friends and 12 for everyone else. i've lost 19.5 pounds in 5 weeks and nobody besides my husband has noticed. i'm okay with that, cause this was never about anyone else anyway, this is about me.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options

I know a lot of people (myself included) also feel weird about mentioning weight loss because when you acknowledge that someone lost weight and looks great, it also feels a little like you're saying "Hey, I noticed you used to be fat! But not anymore!" Feels a little weird to me sometimes.

I wonder if that's the case for any of them?

Maybe that is why they didnt say anything.... With the exception of one other girl they are not watching what they eat or exercising so I didnt want to talk about fitness or diet with them.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    A number of reasons for this.... so don't beat yourself up too much over it...

1) friends were too shy to say anything. Sometimes ya feel awkward saying something like "hey, have you lost weight?"
    2) it often take losing 15-20lbs before it really starts to show, a lot of people say this is when weight loss starts being really noticeable on a person.
    3) what were you wearing? clothing can either accent or hide a weight loss very very easily. If you were wearing something very typical of yourself or something they've seen you in a lot then the loss would be kind of camouflaged behind your normal appearance.

My suggestion.... don't feel down. You have done great losing the 11lbs, be proud of that!!!. I think that with another 10lbs lost and some fresh outfits your changes will really start to turn heads and those around you will take notice of the loss!
  • tinalatina
    Options
    There is a saying, it take 4 weeks for you to notice the change, 8 weeks for your closest friends and 12 for everyone else. i've lost 19.5 pounds in 5 weeks and nobody besides my husband has noticed. i'm okay with that, cause this was never about anyone else anyway, this is about me.

I have heard about that too! if that is true then I Just passed the 8 week mark and pushing on 10. Its not that I care about their opinion but it would just be nice if someone noticed. I havent seen these girls for over 2 months and they are my best friends. Just wanted some kind of support from them.
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    Well wtg on the weight loss! I have lost 14lbs and not one person has said anything to me either (aside from my children but I think that they are just trying to earn brownie pnts-lol).
    One thing that I think may be why people aren't noticing, for me anyway, is that when I was at my heaviest right after Christmas I always wore baggy clothes and didn't go out much because I was too embarrassed for anyone to see me so heavy. I actually GAINED 13lbs in the 2yrs since my son was born instead of getting rid of the baby weight and my self esteem was low. So, maybe no one really noticed how fat I, or we?, were to begin with? Sometimes those that are around us the most don't really 'see' us, kwim?

But good for you and keep it up girl! I read somewhere that it takes 3 months before other people notice the change in your body so don't give up the fight! We can do this!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I understand! I've lost 17 and only my oldest daughter has noticed. I've even gone down a whole pant size. I'm only 10 pounds from being in my weight range.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They may have noticed just did not say anything.
  • tinalatina
    Options
    its true I did wear something old that they've seen me in before. *sigh* owell.....it'll probably be another 2 months till I see them again and hopefully by then I will be in 15-20 loss range and will definately have a NEW outfit on!

Thanks for all the support guys....i could never have gotten this far without people like you!
  • alexaalbrecht
    alexaalbrecht Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just think when your friends get brave enough to say something and you can respond with an even larger number lost (not sure what your goal is) and they fall out of their chairs!

Like others, I don't always want to say something because maybe the person is self conscious about their weight and has been working at losing for a long time without any success.

KEEP AT IT.
  • gagesmom314
    gagesmom314 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I understand this feeling. I am down 22 pounds and no one has said a word! I have lost two pants sizes and still nothing.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Good for you deciding to stick to it. You're doing this for you, right? You have to be proud of yourself for this achievement, right? Don''t worry -- they'll notice. For now, it's your own private victory. Soon it will be a topic they can''t avoid - so enjoy the anticipation and keep doing what you're doing for the right reasons.

Well done! :flowerforyou:
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    Know that you are doing this for yourself and not anyone else. You are taking the steps toward a healthy lifestyle, feeling and looking better. You should be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished!
    Congratulations and keep up the healthy living!
  • mamalade1
    mamalade1 Posts: 42
    Options
    You know, people are generally oblivious. The upside of this is that no one really notices those things that make you cringe in embarrassment and think that everyone is laughing at you. They're not. They're all too busy with their own stuff to even notice.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It feels good to get recognition for all of your efforts. But at the same time what is important is how you feel about you. If YOU see the difference, if YOU feel better about YOU.