World's worst runner / C25K

Options

Replies

• schmidtka70
    Options
    Double check your shoes, and (as someone who has completed this program) make sure you aren't running too fast when you run. It's VERY easy to speed up a bit...especially since you're really proud-and rightfully so- of getting this far. Slow down and relax...you've done great, and you're doing great.

^^This. I completed C25K and just finished B210K (running 60 minutes straight). It's an awesome feeling! Make sure you have good shoes, slow the pace...even if it's a "snail's pace" and run every two days instead of every other to give your body more time to recuperate (that's what I did). Don't give up!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am stuck on the same week as well! Day 3 is so terrifying to me ; I did Day 2 twice! :laugh: My knee hurt really bad after doing the repeat of Day 2 and I am praying to the running Gods because I cannot afford new shoesespecially since they tend to be so expensive! :sad: I am hoping it is just form and not stretching before and after. Keep it up and if you need a new running friend,add me!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I didnt read any of the replies, but I will suggest the following:

1. Were you fitted properly at a Running Store? If not, get fitted. They will tape you running on a treadmill, measure your feet and make you try on several different pairs to match your arch and pronation type. Go to a RUNNING STORE. Not a Famous Footwear!

2. If you are having aches in your hips, legs or feet, it could be a spinal issue.See your chiropractor or doctor. I was having serious pains in my left leg. I thought it was tight hamstrings. It's a pinch in my L4 and L5. Seeing a chiropractor to adjust it. Shin splints will heal anywhere from a month to a year (depending on how bad yours are). Rice, Ice and Elevate your shins after your runs. Make sure to massage them as well. I had shin splints. They hurt like a b*tch but they went away after 4 months. Drink plenty of water to repair muscle tears!

3. Don't focus on speed right now. That will come with time and experience. Just focus on your breathing, posture and a pace that you are able to hold a conversation.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Going to add something i havent heard other people say... this is in addition to other people's advice. If you are trying to lose weight... it can make your recoveries harder. You might notice that if you take a day or two off that you will feel stronger in your running indicating you are just not recovering as fast as you need. One idea that might help... pick up another cardio other then running and cross train. I really like cross training because it lets me really build up by cardio abilities while keeping mental and physical fatigue to a minimum. So.. add in a swim or a bike. Vary your effort as well... (1 hard day, a couple medium days, and a couple slow long distance days).
  • mdayton4946
    mdayton4946 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great job and keep it up. It may be shoes and form, but I would also make sure that your nutrition is right. Make sure your eating healthy calories. Food types do matter when you exercise. Get some calories in about 45 min before your run, at that point your body will be using those calories for energy.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh no! This is what I have to look forward to? Yikes. I just did week 4 Day 1 this morning and was surprised they already bumped up to 5 minute intervals. I did it, but I was actually surprised I could.
    I think my plan is to repeat a week if I feel that I am not physically ready to move on to the next stage. Listen to your body first and foremost.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last summer. At the time, I was 336 lbs and couldn't run a mile.

Since then, I've lost over 60 pounds and have run a half-marathon.

The big thing is to learn to slow down on the longer runs. There is a pace you can keep.

You also have to learn that there is usually a bit of discomfort at the beginning of a run, which goes away if you keep going.

Good shoes are essential. I had knee pain until I went to a real running store, got a gait analysis, and bought the correct shoes for my gait.

That being said, I had to deal with pain and blisters at first. Ice, elevation, and Advil were my good friends. But I now I have no pain after 6-10 mile runs!

It gets better. Just stick with it, and slow down the pace.
  • comeback58
    Options
    you are doing great. just committing to and sticking to a program is 2/3 of the battle. stay with it!! make a few adjustments and you will get to your goals. a couple hopefully helpful comments:

1 - yes on getting your shoes checked out. brand and type is very individual. your local running store will help. this is crucial if you want to stay injury free.
    2 - 6 mph is a pretty respectable time, even for a seasoned runner. you might be starting too fast. try starting at 5 then go up a little every 2 minutes if you feel OK. if you start too slow, you can always go faster if you feel good, and it is positive feedback. if you start too fast and have to slow down, negative feedback.... though, as one of the earlier posters said, you will have good and bad days.
    3 - hydration, make sure you are hydrating before and after. water is fine for this level of workout
    4 - make sure your nutrition is good and you are not running on empty

when i first started running, the older fellow i ran with (we dubbed him "YODA") said that powering through the bad days and finishing is what really makes you stronger. the good days are just the reward. and finally, get the heck outside if you can for at least one of your runs. i live know it is winter in new england, but i live in chicago, so i promise, it can be done!
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. The jump to 20 min straight of running was the hardest for me and I had to jog SO slow. But I made it and was so happy for myself.

Just like the others I recommend slowing down. As long as you make it that's what's important. I still can't run fast but you can always build up speed later.

Also, someone else mentioned The Stick, this is a good tool to help with tight muscles.

Finally attitude was a huge motivator for me. As long as I told myself this is what you are going to do and you are not allowed to quit, I was able to make it through.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    First of all be proud of what you've accomplished so far. Most people haven't even walked a block. I started week 1 last week and I'm doing it over lol. I did my first day on the hard pack at the beach and barely did 6 intervals. Did day 2 on blacktop and did all eight, but I hurt in the butt and shins when I got done. I did day 3 back on the beach but hurt too much from day 2 to get past 5 intervals. Today I started over on the beach and did day 1 of week 1 and got all 8 intervals! It seems to be gentler my legs, but harder to get all 8 on sand. Me, I'll repeat my weeks until I get it right even if it is frustrating. Good luck, and never give up!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Reading your posts about going 6MPH on the treadmill, I am starting to think maybe I am going too slow? I only do an easy jog at 3 mph...I may need to bump myself up some more!
    Great job on all you have accomplished!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Tons of good advice here - the main thing is not to rush it and not to hurt yourself and to ENJOY. So, slow down a bit. If you do have good shoes, maybe experiment with your form - make sure you aren't pushing off too much with your toes (gives a lot of calf and shin pain), etc. Not to be a proponent of any specific running form and touch off a big debate, but if you are getting sore doing it how you currently are, try changing it. For me, when I first started, I did small (1/2 block) runs barefoot because that would give you immediate feedback on where you are landing and how you are pushing off (where the shoes tend to cushion so much you don't get the feedback). So, experiment. If you have a treadmill, run for 1/4 mile on the treadmill barefoot and see where the pressure feels on your feet.... and then you can get a sense of changes you might want to make. If you heel strike, maybe you need to midfoot strike, etc.

The big thing is to relax and not hurt yourself. You can repeat days as many times as you need to get comfortable. There's no pressure. Only you are driving yourself so just be safe and run at a pace that lets you smile now and then!
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    it's probably been said a million times but:

shoes - get fitted for the right ones for your foot
    stick with it - it doesn't really matter when you finish C25K, keep repeating until it feels better.

You are not the world's worst runner, that would be the one who never ever gets off the couch and does anything.

I got new shoes at around Week 5 or 6 if I remember correctly, made a HUGE difference.
  • MrsEb79
    MrsEb79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Double check your shoes, and (as someone who has completed this program) make sure you aren't running too fast when you run. It's VERY easy to speed up a bit...especially since you're really proud-and rightfully so- of getting this far. Slow down and relax...you've done great, and you're doing great.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I completed C25K and I had some issues with shin splints. Once I got fitted for running shoes, I was good to go.

I also went to fast for my own good. Try not to be too speedy. It can make it worse.

Not everyone is born a runner, but we can certainly try! Completing the program is what started my love affair with running. There was no turning back after that. Good luck to you!
  • Elmorlan
    Elmorlan Posts: 37
    Options
    Just keep going. I did the program last year and many days thought I was going to die. But each day got better. I couldn't imagine running as fast as you do so don't be so hard on yourself! I am about to start the program again and I can't wait to feel the difference. You CAN do it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Reading your posts about going 6MPH on the treadmill, I am starting to think maybe I am going too slow? I only do an easy jog at 3 mph...I may need to bump myself up some more!
    If you're just starting out, there's nothing wrong with 3 MPH. C25K is about building up distance, not speed. Once you can run the whole 5K, then you can start to work on doing it more quickly.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to run 100% of the time.

Run 10 Min and walk 1 and repeat as many times as you want..
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Slow down in your pace and you'll be able to run steady. Remeber that slow is smooth and smooth is fast. As for the feet, shin, hip pain. I would look at getting new shoes. Did you go to a running store and get shoes that feet your feet and stride?
  • rbccbrown
    rbccbrown Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, there's nothing wrong with 3 MPH. C25K is about building up distance, not speed. Once you can run the whole 5K, then you can start to work on doing it more quickly.
    I can second, third and fourth this! When I started out there weren't so many casual runners out there and I was led to believe anything slower that 6mph wasn't worth lacing up your trainers for. Nothing could be further from the truth! If you just change that action from walking to running you're running, whatever your speed. Get that endurance in the bag and a speed suitable for you will come naturally with time. I still think a 13-minute miles is pretty whizzy and I've been running for 15 years!