My body fat percentage is 32.2%!

Options
Hiya

I am 5'4" tall (about 162cm), weight 132 lbs and discovered my body fat percentage is 32.2%.
Someone yesterday, at the gym told me my fat percentage is way too high! How much weight will I have to lose to bring my fat percentage down to say 20%?

I would appreciate any advice, thank you :)

xx

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have lost 33lbs but still have over 30% body fat according to my home scale. According to my medical insurance site, I need to loose another 10-20lbs to be in normal %body fat. I am 5'8" and weight 144lbs.
  • jchudon
    jchudon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    32.2% of 132lb represents 42.5lb of fat and 89.5lb of everything else.

Here's a little table from wikipedia :

Essential fat
    Men 10–12%
    Women 2–4%
    Athletes
    Men 14–20%
    Women 6–13%
    Fitness
    Men 21–24%
    Women 14–17%
    Acceptable
    Men 25–31%
    Women 18–25%

So, if you're a woman and you want to go on the edge of "Fitness", you'd have to weight 89.5lb + 17% of fat wich brings you to 104.7lb.

Notice that this is just an estimation and that it varies from one person to the other.

Good luck!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% positive of this, but lots and lots of cardio and lowering your fat intake will help lower the body fat percentage, as well as help you lose weight. It worked for me. And it will take a little while. Nothing happens overnight. HTH.
  • honey2101
    honey2101 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi Jchudon, Thank you so much! :))
    I will aim for the 17% body fat and will come down to about 110lbs...God knows how I will at this rate but something I have to think about, thank you xxx
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hiya

I am 5'4" tall (about 162cm), weight 132 lbs and discovered my body fat percentage is 32.2%.
    Someone yesterday, at the gym told me my fat percentage is way too high! How much weight will I have to lose to bring my fat percentage down to say 20%?

xx

Remember that weight loss does not translate directly to fat loss. Now, I don't know much about your frame size and whatnot, but for someone your height, I wouldn't go below 120 pounds or so (if you are really light framed like me, that number could be different though). But, the best way to reduce your body fat percentage is a combination of cardio and weight training. You can weigh the exact same as you do now, and have a lower body fat% if you have a higher muscle percentage. More lean muscle does a lot for you. For one, it will make you look a lot sleeker because it takes up less space. And, muscle is "active" and burns more calories at rest than your fatty tissue does. So, by building more muscle, you can lose even more fat, faster.

Good luck!
  • krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jchudon,

oops! your numbers are correct but men generally have lower bodyfat percentage than women so just switch the men/women markers and the table will reflect the correct information

i.e. essential fat:
    men 2-4%
    women 10-12%

That way, you don't have to make it harder on yourself!!:smile:

Thanks for the info!
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here is a website to calculate your body fat. It also gives you ranges. I hope that this helps.
    http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Hiya

xx

You need to hit the weights- there is a such thing as being Skinny-fat!! Because you don't have Muscle so in your workouts you need to incorporate weight training and don't be afraid of heavy weights- You will burn the fat and create muscle which will make your fat % go down.

Hell you can be 100lbs with a high fat percentage.

So basically you need some muscles
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hiya

xx

You need to hit the weights- there is a such thing as being Skinny-fat!! Because you don't have Muscle so in your workouts you need to incorporate weight training and don't be afraid of heavy weights- You will burn the fat and create muscle which will make your fat % go down.

Hell you can be 100lbs with a high fat percentage.

So basically you need some muscles

Bingo! I was thinking the same thing! Adding muscle will increase your metabolism and burn fat and you won't get bulky, just lean and toned. It takes YEARS of HEAVY lifting to create a bulky look, and women don't typically get that because we have less testosterone.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    32.2% of 132lb represents 42.5lb of fat and 89.5lb of everything else.

Here's a little table from wikipedia :

Essential fat
    Men 10–12%
    Women 2–4%
    Athletes
    Men 14–20%
    Women 6–13%
    Fitness
    Men 21–24%
    Women 14–17%
    Acceptable
    Men 25–31%
    Women 18–25%

So, if you're a woman and you want to go on the edge of "Fitness", you'd have to weight 89.5lb + 17% of fat wich brings you to 104.7lb.

Notice that this is just an estimation and that it varies from one person to the other.

Good luck!

You have the men and woman numbers reversed here.
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was in peak shape. I had my body fat tested at the gym by a professional. At the time it was 19.4. They actually suggested that I not lower it anymore since I was going to run the risk of health problems such as bone loss, and inability to have a child. In fact I did end up having to put on some weight to even become pregnant...

I was told optimal fat for women who are fit but not professional athletes is around 22- 25%. They advised that you stay away from the lower numbers.

Anyways, my point is 32.2 seems like a lot to you now, but try to look at it as being 1.2% away from an acceptable level. Then you are only 6% away from a fitness level. Add in weight training and high protein low fat/ low calorie meals like fish, and you will reach those goals in no time.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    25 to 31 % body fat is an acceptable percentage for women's body fat (unless an athlete)...I would not consider 32% body fat 'way to high' for you...sometimes I take what folks say in gyms with a grain of salt. Keep up the good work :flowerforyou: