Are the calorie estimates from exercising accurate?

Options

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. For me, it estimated really, really high, about twice as much as I actually burned. But it takes a bit to get my heart-rate up.

I own a HRM and use that instead.

Best bet is to do what works. If you eat back your exercise calories using MFP's estimates, and you're losing weight (slow and steady, folks), then stick with it. It's working.
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    For me, they aren't accurate. Prior to getting a heart-rate monitor, I thought my calorie-burns were much higher than they really were!!

Example...
    Zumbacalories.com tells me that I burn 810 calories for an hour of Zumba. I actually only burn 612 (HRM).
    I was logging the 30 day shred as circuit training. MFP told me that I would burn 328 calories. I actually only burn 146.
    I was logging Richard Simmons as low impact aerobics. MFP told me that I would burn 295 calories. I actually only burn 123.

I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap, so my HRM is accurate. MFP database is not. At least not for me.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I tend to under-report exercise and over-report portion sizes to even out any discrepancies. It must be working because I'm trying to stay in my MFP recommended numbers (eating back calories) and I'm losing pretty well. I never can quite eat back all my calories, though - but I definitely stay at or above my MBR calorie intake.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be accurate - buy a heart rate monitor.

I find there is a difference in the site and the HRM. and if you want to be more precise, you need to be measuring your body's heart rate and exertion based on your resting heart rate, and weight.

If you aren't too concerned with being dead on and exact.. the MFP is fine..

Just remember to only use HRMs for calorie estimates when performing aerobic exercise. Using an HRM while lifting weights can give you good info about your heart rate but that heart rate doesn't translate to calories burned.

Sucks.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i would knock off 30% off MFP calculations. Running machines and HRM are closer in agreement. Most accurate for certain are heart rate monitors.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'll take my heart rate 2-3 times throughout my workout and base my calories off of that. I'm not too worried because I don't eat all of them back and if it's off a bit, I'm on the safe side of losing. If you want to be exact, a monitor is your best bet. I just don't find it necessary for me yet.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Not for me they weren't.

I invested in an HRM and when comparing the same workout (no worries, my treadmill was not cross talking with the HRM) the numbers were laughably different. The machine calculated I was burning around a hundred more calories per hour then I was actually burning! MFP was even worse.

Anyway. Not sure if MFP, the treadmill, or my HRM was at fault but I've chosen to go with the HRM. It's numbers were the lowest.

And as a side note, running won't burn THAT much... it does depend on your weight but at 195 pounds I was only burning 130 calories during a 30 minute run. And yes I was running at my max (lots of sweat!). Maybe I have a difficult time burning but I never got big calorie burn from running.
  • RileeMarie
    RileeMarie Posts: 113
    Options
    i just asked this same question in a private message. then came here and you posted the same ?.. if that is the case then my calorie intake should be much lower than what this site is saying. and when i enter my exercise the calories burned is a bit higher than what my treadmill is saying. i need to go get a Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator
  • nray3119
    nray3119 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is so I just dont take those calories off my daily intake.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have found them to be generally high.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it buy a Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT4 is most recommended as good non expensive one)
    Your weight, height & fitness make a big difference to calories burned so MFP & the treadmill can only ever be a rough guide. x
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I too have found MFP to be high compared to my HRM and treadmill. I take the difference between my treadmill and HRM and half that and add to my HRM calculations. My treadmill and HRM differ by about 65-70 calories which is pretty good but MFP difference is well over 100-150 calories. I just got my HRM a Polar FT4 and love it. I'm still experimenting with the differences but i do believe the HRM is most accurate. If you want to be more accurate use a HRM..if you want to feel good use MFP in my opinion!! Just be aware of the differences. If your not losing weight while eating back your MFP workout calories than you be the judge. Everyone is different.,
  • JenniferAHaines
    JenniferAHaines Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I haven't been eating back the calories I burn for the most part, just because I'm not hungry. But sounds like the common advice is to get a heart rate monitor. Think I'll look into that. Again, thanks for the input!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I found this website that you enter in your average heart rate (which the machines at the gym tell me if you hold the sensor), weight, sex, age and how long you did the exercise. I am SAD to find it is way below what MFP tells me. I am assuming this site is pretty accurate compared to MFP.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some are fairly accurate. Walking or running is fairly accurate because MFP goes by your time and speed. Elliptical can't be right because MFP has no way of knowing if you're going fast or slow, at high resistance or low resistance. I'd go with the machine over MFP.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is so I just dont take those calories off my daily intake.

I've found the MFP numbers to be WAY high, so I don't eat back those calories and don't enter exercise on MFP
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It overestimates about 99% of the time.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a rarity; my HRM says that MFP is under for me.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is good to know, great advice about the HRM. I thought the calories burned on MFP sounded a little high.