One year after my halfway point.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
"What a long strange trip it's been!"

One year ago, I made my first success story post, about reaching the halfway point to my goal. Fun read. Funny to see that my opinions haven't changed much. I'm still happy with eating more than I ever thought possible while losing weight. Still enjoy running. Still enjoy taking some time off from logging my food.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186679-whoah-i-m-halfway-there

A year ago, I hadn't run a race yet. Now I've run several 5k, a few longer races, a mud run, and a 10k, and even won a couple medals! I went from hoping that someday I could do a 5k in under 30 minutes to finishing one in under 25 minutes.

A year ago, I was soooo embarrassed to post a photo in a bikini. I never thought I'd be comfortable showing skin.

About a month after that post, I switched my calories to a half pound a week loss, and two months later, I reached my goal, lowered my goal, reached that, and reached another goal beyond that. Added strength training in July. Then I went on maintenance in October, and gained a few pounds, but I stopped caring about the scale. Got a stress fracture in late December, and took most of January off to recover. Started running again a month ago, and doing my first race of the season in a few weeks.

One year ago, vs about two weeks ago. (Got the date wrong on the image... should be March 5, not 4.)
11.jpg

What strength training has done for my arms:
arms2.jpg

What strength training has done for my back, legs and bum... funny how I'm smaller now weighing three pounds MORE than I was at my "goal weight."
strength-training.jpg

Thanks MFP and all the MFPers who've been so supportive and encouraging. I'm not saying I COULDN'T have done it without you, but you sure made it more fun!

To anyone just starting off... Stick with it. It works. Don't be afraid to shift it into low gear and go slower... you'll still get there. Trying to lose too much too quickly is the same as spinning your wheels when your car is stuck in the snow. And take pictures. No matter how much you hate them, keep them. You'll be happy you have them.

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job, Lorina!

**d'oh to typos :(
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Great story!!
  • jadesurber
    Options
    Great story...and so true about taking pictures. I don't have many from my top weight so how am I to compare? Start taking them now-I defiantly will!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    you are SO freaking inspiration, lorina! now i think i have to start heavy lifting. where does a gal begin???

ps: you sure do LOVE that bikini :)
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and great advice as always x
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!!!!
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think what I admire most about your pics is the confidence you gained. You look a little embarrased in the first pic but in the second, you're loving the camera!

I hate having my photo taken. It doesn't help that I'm very overweight.

I'm working on my hubby to get me some proper weights. He keeps saying I should get small ones!

You're such an inspiration :smile:

Edit: typos :/
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    This is why I've brought weight training back into my schedule. Cardio is all well and good but strength training is where it's at. ;)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Love your story!! Great bum!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great story!!! I'm glad i upped my calories today :smile:
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!!! I love all the pictures, wish I had more, but least I've been taking them more recently.
  • estevo66
    estevo66 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
  • sweetrice12
    sweetrice12 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you are amazing!
  • carriep2010
    carriep2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Beautiful Pic:smile:
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    Beautiful! :]
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I so love that you're including the weight so people can see what strength training does to your body!

Congrats, lady! I'm proud of ya! :D
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    You are a perfect role model for MFP! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!