stop drinking 8 cups of water (because it's "good"), and get

Options

Replies

• Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No one will ever get me to believe that drinking plenty of plain water is not good for you. And in order to drink too much, you have to drink a LOT or drink quite a bit in a short amount of time.

If we drank more than the kidneys can handle over a day's time then we wouldn't eat. There is nothing wrong with drinking 10 or 12 cups of water.

I disagree with coffee, tea, soda, etc being counted as water also as it is not plain water.

Most people that increase their water intake find they have more energy, better moods, clearer skin and better digestion and elimination.

Water is important to the human body.

I totally agree. Some of those other drinks can actually dehydrate you.
  • countrysweetie613
    Options
    In the summer I drink a TON of water. A couple years ago I started getting bladder infections, one right after another. I was referred to a urologist and found out that I was drinking too much water. The water was actually neutralizing my urine allowing bacteria to grow. The Dr. told me i needed more pop, coffee, and red meat in my diet. I never thought I could drink too much water either, but I did. I haven't had a problem since.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of bickering and opinion-throwing on something that can be researched pretty easily.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Source from the Mayo Clinic, which I would trust way more than all of these, "Well this is how I feel..." posts.

In short, everyone is right. Drink 64 ounces a day. You need 9 to 13 cups per day, more if you sweat or exercise more. Just like the original poster said, all liquids that contain water count. You get 1 to 4 cups from all the stuff you consume in a day that isn't straight water. Like others have said, you still need to supplement that with 64 ounces of some other non-diuretic beverage.

That's from the Mayo clinic. They know a hell of a lot more than anyone here about it. Now hopefully this thread can die.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Guys, the OP isn't blasting drinking water in general – it's very important to stay hydrated. However, the "eight cups" limit doesn't really make sense, because different people have different needs. It's a good estimate, sure, but it shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Personally, I drink between seven and twelve cups of water a day, depending on how much I exercise, the foods that I eat, or simply how thirsty I am. If I drink too little, I get headaches, I feel lethargic, and my throat hurts. If I drink too much, I feel sick to my stomach and a bit lightheaded. When I'm right in the middle, I feel pretty good. I know some people who drink less water than me, and others who drink more. As long as you're getting the fluids that your body needs to function properly, and as long as you're not forcing yourself to "overdose" on water (which can in fact happen – Google "water intoxication"), then you're fine.

The bottom line? Figure out what your body needs, and go with it.

*steps off soapbox*
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Good lord this thread is stupid.

amen!
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    It's no longer believed that caffeinated beverages are dehydrating. Coffee and tea -- as well as colas, soups, etc -- count toward your daily fluid intake -- not just water.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Even simple things like whether you live in a sunny place means you have to drink water - Ireland never gets enough sun, there's about 5 days in the year where we might have to use SPF15, and that's the extent of our summer. Whereas if you're in Florida you're gonna be dehydrated far more often.

I just let my body tell me when it's thirsty, and I have a 2 litre bottle so I never really know how many cups I drink, but I drink enough. Sometimes I drink some water to feel full and that's the only time I artificially stock up on water, and I figure that's fine.

If the naysayers allow water from food but not water from coffee cos coffee has impurities, surely by that logic food is water impurity?

If you haven't seen the amazing QI, here's a minute-worth about coffee -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwCGyGmyq8
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just fyi...water toxicity is rare. It does happen, but rarely.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think it will be interesting for all to read the article about "Water intoxication" in wikipedia.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Mayo Clinic or not, it's really not that cut and dry -- forgive the pun :)

First, it wasn't Mayo that recommended the said amount, it was an estimate by the "Institute of Medicine" that the Mayo site was referencing. What Mayo said, was that there are no easy answers....

"...How much water should you drink each day? It's a simple question with no easy answers. Studies have produced varying recommendations over the years, but in truth, your water needs depend on many factors, including your health, how active you are and where you live..."

Here's something from doctors at the University of Pennsylvania to wet your lips on...

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-3991145.html
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Drink the water and see what happens . Give it a chance . If you are dead set against drinking the water , then don't . I know that I lose weight more consistently when I drink 64 ozs or more of water a day . I also know that if I don't drink the water or substitute coffee for part of it I am not as consistent . I was told that saying this was anecdotal and had relevance only to me when I stated this in another forum so if you feel that way just disregard .
  • crystalgoede
    Options
    :noway:
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    whatever would we do without one of these posts every week.

I would cry without these posts... (of course, then I wonder if I would have to replace that liquid). I find these both informative and HIGHLY entertaining. I say, "keep'em coming!!!":drinker:
  • Klein1475
    Klein1475 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No one will ever get me to believe that drinking plenty of plain water is not good for you. And in order to drink too much, you have to drink a LOT or drink quite a bit in a short amount of time.

If we drank more than the kidneys can handle over a day's time then we wouldn't eat. There is nothing wrong with drinking 10 or 12 cups of water.

I disagree with coffee, tea, soda, etc being counted as water also as it is not plain water.

Most people that increase their water intake find they have more energy, better moods, clearer skin and better digestion and elimination.

Water is important to the human body.

I say this with the up most respect....

I completely agree with you Naturemade...

** Water can HEAL your body...

** When I get a headache it's because I am dehydrated which is NOT very often but it has happened... I drink about 48 ounces or so of water ( NO MEDICATION ) and in about 30 or 40 minutes that headache is gone... The term grow your family with water comes to mind....

** Being dehydrated can also cause you to feel like your blood sugar is low... I am NOT diabetic but when I am dehydrated I feel weak and shaky... I drink water and that feeling goes away...

** Drinking a lot of water won’t make you fat. It won’t rot your teeth or give you a hang-over. Drinking lots of water can temporarily assuage hunger pangs, which dieters find useful. It can also help prevent kidney stones in those susceptible to them. Drinking more can ease constipation and—ironically—also alleviate water retention.

** Adequate hydration is a crucial part of health and even a small water loss can impair both mental and physical function. The average adult requires at least 2-3 litres of water a day (2). This requirement increases if you exercise. Thirst is a poor measure of
    dehydration. You become dehydrated long before you feel thirsty so drink water continuously throughout the day. Being well hydrated improves how you feel and perform. Alternatively, choose fruit teas and herbal blends, and water flavored with a little fresh fruit juice. The best measure of fluid balance is urine colour, this should be clear and pale at all times. Dark yellow urine is an indicator of dehydration.

Here is a link to a site that will tell you about water and your body....

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-health.htm

Please check it out and know that I say this b/c I honestly care...

Take care
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    On the caffeine argument: http://www.divinecaroline.com/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated-say-what

But overall, while sometimes plain water hits the spot for me, I get a lot more fluid by drinking my green tea lemonade (homemade, green tea + lemon and lime juice + stevia) with coffee chasers than I ever have when I tried to drink plain water. If I were perfect, maybe it would be all water (though I would then not get the antioxidants I get from the green tea.) I'm not perfect--but I am hydrated. Because I am willing to drink my green tea, and a lot of it.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it:

* Drinking eight 8-oz cups of something liquid per day is not essential to life, but will help improve one's health & well-being.

* Those "cups" are 8-oz measuring-cup-sized cups. Most glasses, tumblers, mugs, etc. hold 12 to 16 oz or more. (I drink most of my water out of a 16-oz mug. If I drink 4 full mugs, that's 64 oz (8 eight-oz cups). If I drank 8 full mugs, that would 128 oz (half a gallon); and, unless I were out in the desert somewhere, or running a marathon, I'd be up all night peeing.

* Four of those 8 cups (32 oz) should be just plain water, to give your kidneys a break from having to separate the water out of everthing else you eat or drink.

* The other 4 cups (32 oz) can be juice, milk, caffiene-free soda, decaf coffee or tea, the juice from the pickle jar, whatever; as long as it's not caffeinated or alcoholic.

* The other 4 cups shouldn't be caffeinated (coffee, tea, cocoa/chocolate milk, cola, Mountain Dew, etc.) or alcoholic, because caffiene & alcohol are diuretics that will make you pee out more liquid than they contained.

* When you're burning fat & losing weight, any toxins that were originally stored in that fat. plus the toxins produced in your body both by exercise and by the fat-burning process itself, are crowding into your bloodstream. If your kidneys have plenty of water to dissolve those toxins in as it filters them out of your bloodstream, they can function more efficiently - and then so can you.

(And now a word from our Snarky Dept:
    Of course water/hydration is not strictly & absolutely necessary to the weight loss process. If you take in no liquids at all, you'll die of thirst in about a week, and weight loss takes place very rapidly after that. :bigsmile: )
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    (Warning: mini-rant/truly annyoed fit-of-pique follows)
    Also, for all of you in the Caffeine Dehydrates you and the Coffee/tea/etc. "Doesn't Count" camps, please read: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

The relevant portions of the article linked to, in its entirety:
    Q. "I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?"
    A. "It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. (...) Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day."

Really? Seriously? Three sentences? Three lousy little largely content-free sentences???

And with no references? No indication as to who did the research in question (the cola industry? some caffeine-consortium think tank? the same guys who spent 50 years doing tobacco research that never showed that smoking could possibly be bad for you? or the geniuses who thought that high fructose corn syrup was such an amazingly good idea?)?

And is that 5 to 7 8-oz cups? So 3 16-oz mugs of coffee puts you over the limit? I know plenty of people for whom 3 mugs of coffee is not so much a "large amount" as it is "a morning at the office."

I was expecting better from the Mayo clinc. Hmpf!

(end rant/fit of disgusted pique. We now return you to our ordinary level of snarkiness.)
  • synergyabc
    synergyabc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your post! When I was a kid I got waterlogged playing kiddie quarters. lol... I have had a hard time drinking water ever since. I am learning to drink water again and have just started to get my self to enjoy it, but can't get myself to drink anymore then 6 cups a day unless it's very hot outside. I do prefer water over juice and have cut my soda intake down to 1 a day. A month ago I had 4 sodas and 1 cup of water if I made myself... Now I drink water through out the day when I am thirsty, but I don't force myself. I just try to listen to my body.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    "* Drinking eight 8-oz cups of something liquid per day is not essential to life, but will help improve one's health & well-being."

Im sorry Evelyn_Gorfra but " not essential for life"? Try spending more than a few days in the desert without water!
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Options
    "* Drinking eight 8-oz cups of something liquid per day is not essential to life, but will help improve one's health & well-being."

Im sorry Evelyn_Gorfra but " not essential for life"? Try spending more than a few days in the desert without water!
    I expect I could last for a few days in the desert on a mere 63 oz. of water per day, rather than the full 64 oz. That's not to say I'd like it. (But then, I don't much like being in the desert anyway.*)

(*Purely a matter of personal preference. No offense meant to deserts or to the people who enjoy being in them.)