Do you track before or after you eat?

Options

Replies

• ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food before and sometimes during...

^^^ I do this... if I am cooking something at home - i will scan bar-codes as i go.

How are you scanning bar codes? thanks...

There is an application on the smart phones that is free for myfitnesspal. It's amazing and free. I highly recommend to anyone who has the option to get it.. do it!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.

That is what I do also :)
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Before, after and even during. Usually I'll log them before if my fiance is cooking dinner while I wait. Lunch I do after or as I go because it's usually one bigger item (like a greek yogurt) with smaller snack like items to supplement. I don't want to forget to log one so I log them as I eat them sometimes.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I track before I eat (and exercise too). I find that doing this gives me a "plan or goal" for the day, and if "life" happens and things change, I just adjust the foods or add/delete the things I do or don't eat.

Also, on exercising, it also gives me a kinda "push" to complete or try to exceed my goal for the day. If I do, as with the food I make the adjustment.

This is working out really well for me. When I first started, I tracked after I ate something. I like doing it before much better. Makes me feel like I'm continually succeeding in my "mission" :smile:
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I log while I'm eating breakfast and lunch. I pre-log dinner, since that's always my weakest time (more succeptible to eating poor choices) and that way I have to stick to my plan. It's out there in the cyberverse, and someone might have seen it already. Now I'm accountable! LOL

:happy:
  • jiggy_gibby
    jiggy_gibby Posts: 197
    Options
    I log the night before but then make changes as necessary (ate more or less) the next day before I finalize it.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Generally after - except if I'm taking something I've made, like a pasta and roast vegetable salad so I don't have to worry about takeout calories
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Both...depends on my mood. If my husband is gone, I am more likely to track my meals before I eat so that I know how much I have for snacks and chocolate!

But, if he's here, I tend to do my breakfast and lunch in the morning but my dinner either as I'm cooking it or after I eat..
  • Barbwhitmore
    Options
    always after
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I used to log before, and now that I get the idea of my calories for the day I check my calories after dinner to see if I have anymore to eat.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I track quite far in advance, or as i'm making it if I need to weigh stuff out. Both so I can see what the day looks like calorie wise, and so I can sit and enjoy my food instead of eating it while on MFP tracking it lol.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    after. and if I go over my calories, then I go exercise to make sure I am NEVER over my calorie goal.
  • minimetobe10
    Options
    It varies. However, I am trying to do more before. Too easy to under estimate calories.
  • paignt
    paignt Posts: 15
    Options
    For the most part, I track before I eat. I normally plan what I eat for the whole day in the morning so I know what to stick to that would both complete my calorie goal, and to make sure that whatever I eat will work just fine with my macronutrients intake for the day.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I always track before I eat to make sure I don't eat unnecessary calories. Sometimes I will go ahead and plan my whole day. I personally find it easier :)

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna :)
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I always track breakfast and lunch after (those meals are more structured) and then I know how much I have left for dinner and afternoon snacks (which is normally lots). I prefer not to use much of my exercise calories.
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food before and sometimes during...

I usually log while I'm eating (oh my phone, THANKS ANDROID & MFP!)...unless we are at dinner with guests, then I wait until afterwards, but I always have an idea of how many calories I'm putting in my mouth! :)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Since I pack my lunch and snacks, I log my breakfast, lunch and snacks before I eat them. I like it since that way I know exactly how many calories I have for dinner and can decide what to eat from there.
    I pack everything on my way out the door in the morning. I log everything and often end up deleting something because I wasn't hungry which just leaves me a few more calories at dinner time.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I always prelog. Otherwise I allocate my calories really retardedly, lol
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

^^this, exactly.