ok, really confused now!!!!!

Options
When I started working out, my eliptical was telling me 540 cals burned in 40 mins, this site said close to 1100 i think. I went out and bought a heart rate monitor that also counts calories burned, tried it this morning and had 1313 calories burned in 47 minutes......??????

Whay the heck?

Replies

• tinnytibbs
    Options
    When I started working out, my eliptical was telling me 540 cals burned in 40 mins, this site said close to 1100 i think. I went out and bought a heart rate monitor that also counts calories burned, tried it this morning and had 1313 calories burned in 47 minutes......??????

Whay the heck?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Trust the heart rate monitor. As long as you put your numbers in right. Because, in my experience, the machines are always a bit off, and the site is general numbers, not specifically designed for you.

Although 1300 calories does sound like it could be a bit high for 40 minutes (I guess it all depends on what you weigh though). What is your average heart rate for that time? I'm about 193 lbs and at about 80% max Heart Rate for 40 minutes is about 700 calories for me.
  • tinnytibbs
    Options
    average was around 136, which is about 70%. I weigh 335lbs and am 36yrs old?
  • banks1850
    Options
    average was around 136, which is about 70%. I weigh 335lbs and am 36yrs old?
    yeah, that sounds off. Most of the calculators I have seen say between 750 and 1000 calories for you at 70% max. Maybe check the HRM for your settings and make sure they are right. Also, watch your monitor as you work out. Once in a while mine jumps up for a few seconds, I know I almost never hit 95% Max HR but it says it every once in a while (don't worry, my doctor checks my heart regularly, and he says it's doing very well), so it's possible your HRM is faulty if all the numbers are right.

Of course I am not a professional at this, so I just could be off. I would just keep an eye on the monitor and see if it's jumping around at all, if it is, you may need to return it and get another one, if it still is, I would check with your doctor and make sure there is nothing odd going on with your heart.
  • tinnytibbs
    Options
    thanks Banks, i'll keep an eye on those things fro the next few days and see if anything wonky is going on!

Thanks again, have a great week end!
  • banks1850
    Options
    thanks Banks, i'll keep an eye on those things fro the next few days and see if anything wonky is going on!

Thanks again, have a great week end!

U2. good luck. I'll ask my trainer just to be sure, she would know if that calorie burn for that HR sounds whacky.