No calorie sweetners

Options
I have quit drinking soda and ilove lemonade and koolaid iam wondering if i make them with no calorie sweetners if they would be ok to drink. i have heard they are bad and that they are fine. i want to know which is true. and do they taste the same and how expensive are they?

Replies

• laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I use to use splenda all the time, but now have recently been using stevia (which is a no cal natural sweetener from the stevia plant). It comes in little packets like other sweeteners and you can buy it in bulk pkgs too. They all cost about the same, approx. $3 for a box . I have heard bad and good things about artificial sweeteners also. You can definitley taste a little bit of difference between sweeteners and just plain ol sugar. My husband hates the taste, but I got used to it. Its like the difference between regular coke and diet coke. I am trying to use all natural for the most part but if I am in a pinch and dont have my stevia with me or can't drink something unsweetened I will use splenda. But I don't sweat it! Hope this helps! :drinker:
  • chels0
    chels0 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Its a contoversy.. I tried to research no calories sweetner and it came back as sweet poison on google:

This sweetener is marketed under a number of trademark names, including Equal, NutraSweet, and Canderel, and is an ingredient of approximately 6,000 consumer foods and beverages sold worldwide, including (but not limited to) diet sodas and other soft drinks, instant breakfasts, breath mints, cereals, sugar-free chewing gum, cocoa mixes, frozen desserts, gelatin desserts, juices, laxatives, chewable vitamins supplements, milk drinks, pharmaceutical drugs and supplements, shake mixes, tabletop sweeteners, teas, instant coffees, topping mixes, wine coolers and yogurt. It is provided as a table condiment in some countries. However, aspartame is not always suitable for baking because it often breaks down when heated and loses much of its sweetness. Aspartame is also one of the main sugar substitutes used by people with diabetes.

Because sucralose, unlike aspartame, retains its sweetness after being heated, it has become more popular as an ingredient. This, along with differences in marketing and changing consumer preferences, has caused aspartame to lose market share to sucralose.[3][4]

Main article: Aspartame controversy " Sweet poison"
    The artificial sweetener aspartame has been the subject of controversy since its initial approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1974. Concerns have been raised about the quality of the research supporting its safety and the long-term effects that increased consumption could have on the public.[22][23][24] Some scientific studies, combined with allegations of conflicts of interest in the sweetener's FDA approval process, have been the focus of vocal activism, conspiracy theories and hoaxes regarding postulated risks of aspartame.[25][26]

A 2007 safety evaluation found that the weight of existing scientific evidence indicates that aspartame is safe at current levels of consumption as a non-nutritive sweetener.[2] Some sources of claims regarding postulated aspartame dangers and conspiracies have been the subject of critical examination.[27] In 1987, the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded that the food additive approval process had been followed for aspartame.[22][28] Based on government research reviews and recommendations from advisory bodies such as the European Commission’s Scientific Committee on Food and the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives, aspartame has been found to be safe for human consumption by more than ninety countries worldwide.[29][30] In 1999, FDA officials described the safety of aspartame as "clear cut" and stated that the product is "one of the most thoroughly tested and studied food additives the agency has ever approved."[31]
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just like Dani - I took have gone to Stevia whenever possible - Splenda as my back up
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    why does the good for you stuff gotta taste different:grumble:
    ohh well i am sure i can get used to the tase and small stuff makes a difference so hey
    Thanks very much!!!
  • jason30604
    Options
    I use Splenda and have never tasted an after taste. It tastes just like regular sugar to me. I also try to buy products that use splenda instead of sugar as well.
  • laughingdani
    Options
    I have also found the more plain water I drink the less I crave the sweet, sugary tasting drinks for some reason. I like the taste of plain water but a lot of people don't. Most of the time I drink water and regular fruit juices if I want something different to drink. I use my sweeteners for my tea, I'm from the south gotta have sweet tea!! :drinker: :blushing: There are several days I drink only water though.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Stevia, raw honey (which I purchase locally) and agave nectar. Those are the only sweetners I use and they are all, all natural.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I use Splenda and have never tasted an after taste. It tastes just like regular sugar to me. I also try to buy products that use splenda instead of sugar as well.

Splenda is sugar that the molecules have been changed, using a chlorinating process, like bleach.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I just like to add fuit slices to my water to give it a hint of taste. Strawberries are my favorite.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I just like to add fuit slices to my water to give it a hint of taste. Strawberries are my favorite.

I usually do citrus fruits...........lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit..............

Have nver tried berries in my water or tea before.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

I usually do citrus fruits...........lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit..............

Have nver tried berries in my water or tea before.

They have to be pretty ripe but it's good.
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    Interesting
  • laughingdani
    Options
    Local honey is better for you too b/c it keeps you from having allergies during pollen season. Your body is already used to the pollen that was in the honey. It builds an immunity to it.
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    anyone ever used a product called 'True Lemon', it's a lemon powder that you add to your water, i like it.
  • laughingdani
    Options
    I have never heard of that before. Do you get it at the grocery store?