Weightlifting and women

Options
I think I have the hang of cardio, but I feel clueless when it comes to lifting weights. I work out with a trainer 2 days a week in a Curves type format, but I know that I need to include at least one more day of lifting. I also belong to a gym. I have been going there 3 times per week for cardio. I want to do more weightlifting and perhaps target other muscle groups that I don't work out on the days I work with my trainer. My question is are free weights or dumbbells better than machines or should I use a combination of both? Also, where can I find ideas for other things I can add to my routine to target certain areas?

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I use only free weights and they work really well. Just don't be afraid of lifting heavy weights, so you can only do 8-12 reps per set. You should probably add one to two more days of cardio a week, and aim for 3-4 days of lifting.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You may find it easier to start with machines if you've never lifted weights, but free weights are much better. They help strengthen the stabilizers and all the little muscles. If your gym has a squat rack, use this instead of a smith machine for squats and bench press. The smith machine is a straight up and down movement which isnt natural.

Check out this website for weights programs accompanied by videos and lots of info:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/beginner.html

A great place to start with weights is the basics.
    Squat, lunge, deadlift, bench press, military press.

Research the difference between compound & isolation exercises. The machines at female only gyms are often isolation only. To start off with weights you should be doing big, compound movements to increase overall strength. :)

I also recommend splitting your workout into different body parts on different days. Don't smash yourself with a full body workout on one day! You'll wake up so sore and won't want to go back!
    Eg. Leg & abs day, chest & arms day, back day etc

Hope this helps! Let me know what you think of the M&S website and if there's any questions I can help with.

Most importantly, have a trainer show you how to do everything correctly, and don't be scared or intimidated by the weights, it's fun getting strong & fit :):)
  • catwomanclaws
    catwomanclaws Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others....free weights are the better way to strength train. However, I do suggest machines for working out the legs (leg extensions, leg curls, and hip adduction and abduction machines).
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and the "Women's Health Big Book of Exercises." The first book has a lot of workout plans in it and some examples of how to do the exercises. The second book has just about every exercise you could imagine, variations of each and sample workout plans.
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    The only machine I use is the cable cross, if that even counts. Otherwise, it's so much more efficient to do compound and functional exercises vs. machines that artificially isolate muscles. since you already have a trainer, moving to free weighs should be easy - you'll have someone to teach you proper form for squats, lunges, chest press, etc.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's a great 3 day workout that uses machines (the good ones) and free weights. Perfect way to get started.
    Throw in a bit of cardio AFTER weights and maybe a cardio session on your rest days if you've got it in you.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/3day-beginners-workout.html

Remember to always do your weights first before cardio to ensure you're not Pre exhausted and have correct technique.

Research online, pick a program that works for you, then book a session with a trainer and have them show you how to do the exercises correctly and help you work out what weight to use.

Any q's pls don't hesitate to ask :)
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd check out the books "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and "Starting Strength". I'm doing the NROL4W currently, but I started reading "Starting Strength" about a week ago. I much prefer Mr. Ripptoe's approach to squats.
  • scrappergirl333
    scrappergirl333 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the tips and recommendations. There's quite a bit to view, read and digest. I am going to take a minute and look everything over. Hopefully you don't mind if I come back with more questions. This fitness thing is a new, exciting journey that I am on. I was the girl who got Cs in gym except when we were doing tumbling or square dancing.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I'm huge fan of free weights and full body movements (think squats, deadlifts, push press) and to the point here is why.

Machines do not allow your body to work in a natural state - it forms you to go from point A to point B ... You can hit any/every muscle group with free weights and get a 10x better work out. Why? Because you're using a bunch of other smaller muscles to stable you and keep good form. It makes you functional.

I'd be more then happy to explain more or point you in the direction of some great resources/ideas.
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the books others have suggested, they are chock full of great information! As others have mentioned, starting with machines may be easier if you're a beginner, and can possibly decrease the risk of injury.

Another really great resource is bodybuilding.com - there's a 12 week comprehensive program on the site from Jamie Eason (Google her, you won't regret it!), that has cardio, strength and nutrition suggestions, for when you're feeling more at home in the gym and ready to step up to free weights! :)
  • miya727
    miya727 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive always been told that the more you are off your butt while working out the better results you will get, strength training is important so you can burn fat and build lean muscle, there are so many high impact exercises you can do with your own body weight, and they will give you better results because they will make you stronger, i have been exercising for 25 days and i already feel better and a bit fitter, i am so hooked on bodyrock.tv they have teee best workouts and free! And great results as well! Good luck to you in your fitness journey!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better than machines. I recommend reading the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. 3rd edition available on Kindle. Learning correct form is crucial.

You want to focus on the big compound movements initially... squat, deadlift, press. Multi-joint, multi-muscle movements. Machines restrict your range of machine and can lead to injury because of that. Barbells can cause injury as well (when you are lifting heavy)... that is why form is crucial. Learn good form. Stay away from the Smith machine! You can do it. There are many women here who do.
  • Redrunner54
    Redrunner54 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a great websie that makes it easy to learn to lift weights and not get bulky. It is Bodybuilding.com
    It is a litte hard to navigate but worth the time. I just wish I could find the exercises listed in the database on myfitnesspal so I could record and keep track of what I am doing. Great job on losing 14 lbs!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Bump - I want to get into lifting more weights
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com is a great resource. Free weights or nautilus is a personal preference. I like free weights because it uses/defines more muscles as your body is responsible for stabilizing the weights; not a machine. Look into NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting 4 Women) and Stronglifts 5x5. Both good programs for all levels.

Good luck!