at a loss, please help

Options
sloew
sloew Posts: 106 Member
ok, I've posted on here before but I'm still going nowhere! I have been a t a plateau for MONTHS now! I tried cutting to 1200, I've tried 1400, 1800, 2000. My BMR is 1962. I'm a stay at home mom so some days are active on my feet all day and other days we watch movies and sit and play, read books ect... As spring comes and it gets warmer I'm finding myself up and about more, outside with the kids, going out more.

So I've been doing sedentary for my activity and eating all my calories back from working out. For the past week I've really tried to focus on getting good calories vs. candy/cookies. Eating at maintanance to try to.., well, I guess I don't really know why, maybe to see if it helps and then cut back and see if I see any change.

I'm under the impression that I will gain a little as my body gets used to eating at maintanance. Well, I fluxuate between 169-171 and this morning I saw 173! How long should I go at this amount before I start dropping it? Should I start today or give it a few days? I know it's only a little amount but I see it creeping back. I'm tired of being so occupied with what I eat and counting calories and nothing happening! Even if it were a small amount it would make all the time I put into figuring calories worth it!

Please, I need help! I am going to get more blood work but I'm just waiting on the dr.'s call, which could be up to 2 weeks the way things work here!

Thank you very much!

Replies

• GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    same boat.. just letting you know you are not alone.. feel free to friend me.. we can help support.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are bouncing around an awful lot. i pretty much am home also. i get bored when i am and eat a lot from that. are you sure you are logging everything and being honest in that? where does mfp have you? no way to know where you are with your eating habits unless i add you. and if all that activity is what you normally do, you cant count that as exercise. you need more planned. take a walk with them, or do an exercise video. it took me an entire month before i saw any loss. and the next two months i only lost three pounds. but my inches decreased. are you measuring yourself? i dont eat back all my exercise calories. for me, when i do, i dont lose anything. and when i eat junk, i dont lose, if i eat a lot of sodium i dont lose even if i am under my cal goals. i have been at the same weight for over a month but i can fit into a pair of jeans and they are loose that i havent fit into in three years. so check clothing also. and if you are not getting enough sleep, that messes with your weight loss also. damn insomnia.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey I had a quick look in your diary. I only went back a few days but some days your over 2000 cals, I know people say you should eat back your cals but maybe for a week don't eat them all back. If you are exercising you need the extra cals to fuel the body but maybe cut back a little. Your body probably needs a little shock to stimulate the weight loss again.
  • happygirly1
    Options
    No idea other than up the exercise to tone and change body shape. I would love to be your weight :-) Good luck and don't give up. Give it a few weeks
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    took a peek at your diary - and i know you said youve been changing your calories up so im not going to comment so much about being over because i dont know what your goals were set as for the past week - however your sodium is through the roof! do you drink water? i didnt see any logged.. sodium makes me hold on to water like crazy..
    how long were you set at each calorie goal before changing it? you should give it at least a month, if you havent.
    im also a SAHM, definitely more active in the spring and summber! i have my daily goal set as my bmr (1845) and log all exercise, and eat those calories back. but i also use a HRM. do you use one or do you go by MFP or a machine for those numbers? they may not be accurate and you might be overeating unknowingly.
    have you had your thyroid and such checked?
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    looked at your food diary,you are well over target every day last week,some days your total is over 3000 cal.
    also,you jog at 10 miles/hr?that is a fast run...i could not run 20 mins at that speed and i am very fit.
    do you think you may be overestimating cals burned?
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned - sodium is CRUCIAL! Looking through your diary, your sodium levels are consistently HIGH... sometimes crazy high. The easiest way to keep your sodium levels low is to eat as much lean, unprocessed foods as possible (clean eating). Anything packaged, lots of deli meats and cheeses, are going to have crazy levels of sodium. While MFP sets the sodium goal at 2500, it's interesting to note that in Europe the RDA for sodium is only 1500mg/day. Kinda makes you think :)

We as women can retain a lot of water, even just overnight, given the time of our monthly cycle, stress levels, sodium intake, sleep patterns... even the weather can impact how much water you retain - sometimes up to 6 or 7 pounds!

If you are consuming a lot of sodium, it's even moreso important to drink water, water, water. Logging it might help you keep track of exactly how much you're drinking.

Your carb intake is also pretty high... maybe try eating more veggies/lean protein/fruits and less starches? +300 grams of carbs on some days is a lot of bread/rice/pasta/grains/etc!

I find when in doubt, I try to OVERestimate the amount of calories I'm eating, and UNDERestimate the calories I'm burning; otherwise days of not being accurate, and the calories can stack up!
  • sloew
    Options
    it sounds like you are bouncing around an awful lot. i pretty much am home also. i get bored when i am and eat a lot from that. are you sure you are logging everything and being honest in that? where does mfp have you? no way to know where you are with your eating habits unless i add you. and if all that activity is what you normally do, you cant count that as exercise. you need more planned. take a walk with them, or do an exercise video. it took me an entire month before i saw any loss. and the next two months i only lost three pounds. but my inches decreased. are you measuring yourself? i dont eat back all my exercise calories. for me, when i do, i dont lose anything. and when i eat junk, i dont lose, if i eat a lot of sodium i dont lose even if i am under my cal goals. i have been at the same weight for over a month but i can fit into a pair of jeans and they are loose that i havent fit into in three years. so check clothing also. and if you are not getting enough sleep, that messes with your weight loss also. damn insomnia.

I was at each cal level for a good 3-4 weeks each time. Mpf has me low, I had a medabolic test done and my body in a come needs 1962 calories a day. I don't count normal activity, I use a hr monitor and only count that exercise. I have been measuring and no change. My diary is open.
  • sloew
    Options
    Hey I had a quick look in your diary. I only went back a few days but some days your over 2000 cals, I know people say you should eat back your cals but maybe for a week don't eat them all back. If you are exercising you need the extra cals to fuel the body but maybe cut back a little. Your body probably needs a little shock to stimulate the weight loss again.

My BMR is 1962 so in a coma I need over 2000 to live.
  • annabellj
    Options
    that is fine that you have 2000 to eat. so eat the 2000, not 2300 or not over what you are supposed to. I agree with the others. not trying to be harsh but you asked for help and the truth hurts sometimes. you need to be honest with yourself.. as I went thru you were over most days. and you had three days where there was no logging.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peek at your diary (and i am no expert at all) but you do seem to be over your calorie goal for quite a few day

I agree with the sodium comments and would add that you look like youhave a lot of bread in your diet too.

I think you would only need minor changes to start and see results :smile:

I was on a plateau for several weeks and tried tweaking food/exercise around and that didnt help - finally worked out the palteau started around the time the doctor changed my contraceptive pill. I have now stopped taking it and the weight is coming off again!

Good luck on your weight loss journey and importantly 'hang in there' :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • sloew
    Options
    took a peek at your diary - and i know you said youve been changing your calories up so im not going to comment so much about being over because i dont know what your goals were set as for the past week - however your sodium is through the roof! do you drink water? i didnt see any logged.. sodium makes me hold on to water like crazy..
    how long were you set at each calorie goal before changing it? you should give it at least a month, if you havent.
    im also a SAHM, definitely more active in the spring and summber! i have my daily goal set as my bmr (1845) and log all exercise, and eat those calories back. but i also use a HRM. do you use one or do you go by MFP or a machine for those numbers? they may not be accurate and you might be overeating unknowingly.
    have you had your thyroid and such checked?

My goal was set at eating maintanance so instead of changing the numbers I just watched the net to keep it between 2400-2500, My maintanance is 2550.

I do drink water, I jsut get bored calculting it. lol. I drink a good 2 liters a day.
    I know my sodium is high, I've been trying to work on that but some days it's rough just b/c I'm trying to get the calories! ie. Bean soup is one of those that's high sodium but is healthy for you, besides the sodium.

I use a hr monitor for my workouts.
    I had the basic thyroid test done but I'm waiting for the dr to call to make an apt to get more tests done.
  • annabellj
    Options
    that is fine that you have 2000 to eat. so eat the 2000, not 2300 or not over what you are supposed to. I agree with the others. not trying to be harsh but you asked for help and the truth hurts sometimes. you need to be honest with yourself.. as I went thru you were over most days. and you had three days where there was no logging.
    and im really not trying to be mean. I just think I know where you are. I was the same way. If you havent had any change in a while then you need to really look at what you are doing. if your logging from the past couple months is the same as the past week or so then that is why you are not losing. do the same thing, get the same results. I dont want discourage you, just trying to give you a wake up call to see that you need to change what you are doing.
  • sloew
    Options
    looked at your food diary,you are well over target every day last week,some days your total is over 3000 cal.
    also,you jog at 10 miles/hr?that is a fast run...i could not run 20 mins at that speed and i am very fit.
    do you think you may be overestimating cals burned?

Some workouts I have to tweek to meet the calorie burn. I use a hr monitor.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My goal was set at eating maintanance so instead of changing the numbers I just watched the net to keep it between 2400-2500, My maintanance is 2550.

Just out of curiosity, what weight is it that you're trying to maintain? 169? Or are you trying to lose? If you find that you're gaining at 2400, why don't you try not eating all of our exercise calories back for a while, let it drop a little. And like someone else mentioned - stick to what your max is, don't go over. Try this for a couple of weeks, really commit to it and to making the small changes (sodium!) and see where that gets you :)
  • annabellj
    Options
    it sounds like maybe you need more tests if that is what the issue is then. that it is not a diet thing at all but a health thing maybe?
  • annabellj
    Options
    ok im really slow. i was not able to figure out how to see what your weight is. if they are saying you are 169? how is it that you have a goal of 2500? mine is 1500 and i weigh 163. so yes i would gain weight with that!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU USING COCONUT OIL AS A SUPPLEMENT???
    JUST WONDERING... I SAW A THREAD HERE WHERE A LADY TAKES A TBSP OF VIRGIN COCONUT OIL AND 2 TSP OF ACV IN 16OZ OF WATER EVERYDAY

I CAN DO THE ACV BUT CAN'T SPARE THE 120 CALORIES ON VCO, PLUS I COULD NOT STOMACH IT:noway:

CUT BACK ON THE CARBS AND GET IN MORE PROTEIN:bigsmile:
  • GG70
    Options
    MY Bmr is 1500.. just wondering if anyone knows how or why someone elses Bmr can be 400-500 more than mine at the same weight?? I have no idea how that works,,
  • GG70
    Options
    ok im really slow. i was not able to figure out how to see what your weight is. if they are saying you are 169? how is it that you have a goal of 2500? mine is 1500 and i weigh 163. so yes i would gain weight with that!

^^^^^^^
    YES!!! WONDERING TOO!!