i consume INSANE amounts of sugar!!!!!!

Options
i think i have finally figured out why on earth i cannot get rid of the five pounds i have been trying to lose for the past two years: my very high sugar consumption!

MFP recommends i eat 30g of sugar/day. I rarely eat less than 60, and mostly consume around 90g of sugar/day. i do, however, stay under my calorie recommendations, but i am disgusted at how easily sugar adds up.

with that said, does anybody know of any good low sugar diets, or any recipes that won't break the sugar bank (also, i'm not too fond of sugar substitutes like splenda, so that won't do)? I appreciate it IMMENSELY. :heart:

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Where does your sugar come from? Fruits? Or cakes, candies, etc...
  • mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    most of it is actually from fruits, which is why it bothers me. i do have small portions of ice cream kind of regularly, but this will likely be changing starting now. anyway, i know fruit sugar is not as bad but it is still sugar.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Really are you sure!? @_@ I consumed 126 grams of sugar today! And it was all in my fruits and fruit yogurt...@_@...And the 3 teaspoons of honey I had with no sugar tea. (Holy it's like 9 g of sugar per teaspoon @_@. And the italian ice haha >.<).
    But seriously, I average about 60 grams a day mostly. Today was a weird day.
    I can't imagine anyone staying on a 30 g per day if they eat fruits. Fruits are naturally sweet. I didn't have any refined sugars (okay except the ice). So that doesn't seem right to me.

Try not to drink any soft drinks, coffees with sugar, sodas, candies, etc. Just water, milk/soy milk, and unsweetened tea. It's hard for me @.@, but I try to be good. I find that with stuff that says "low-fat" these products are even more loaded with sugarrrrr to make up for the lack of fat. Just eat the fatter versions. Read nutritional facts. I think that's why I'm thristy right now (it was that nonfat yogurt loaded with sugar, I didn't read the label -sigh-). >.< Try eating fruits with lower sugar content and more complex carbs. Real food tends not to have a lot of sugar in it.

I don't cook so I don't know any recipes :laugh:.
  • mxhelili
    mxhelili Posts: 33
    Options
    haha margaret, you are funny.:happy:
    i actually do not drink soda or any sugary drinks, and take my tea with no additives...it's the damn ice cream. and milk also has sugar. i just feel trapped. i wouldn't care as much if i wasn't in a 2-year plateau. seriously: it's been two years of struggle, and i've nothing else to blame but the sugar. 30g a day may not happen tomorrow, but maybe 50g is achievable...
    good luck to you, as well.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Also I highly doubt that 90 grams of sugar per day is what is preventing you from losing five pounds. I would suggest lowing your sugar if you're really having 90 g/ per day every day though.

If you haven't lost any of it in two years and have been trying to, there's probably a larger problem that you aren't addressing that isn't the sugar. Are you exercising? If so how many cals. You basically have to eat those exercise cals on top of what MFP tells you you need a day. Perhaps you'll find that you're eating too little? Eating too much? Eating a lot of junky stuff? Etc etc etc. I would try changing up your diet. More variety. :flowerforyou:
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Oh and exercise is realllyyyy important. I would def change up your workout routine. Maybe it isn't challenging enough? I like doing weight training and cardio training right after. I also like Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. As she works in strength, cardio, and abs into one training session! @_@ Plus there's three levels. Plenty of examples you could follow on the internet.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always WAY over too- most of it from fruit. I'm a banana addict, but I can't resist them. Fruit sugars aren't as big of a concern though (from what I've read). It's added sugar you have to worry about.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Fruit sugar so has a much different chemical structure from the artificial stuff. I wouldn't cut out the fruits just yet as the fiber and energy benefits outweigh the sugar stuff. It really reacts differently with your body. If you're really concerned about the sugar. I would start by taking out that ice cream (try and calculate how many cals that ice cream is reallyyyy per week per month per yr). Could be an eye opener. I hate ice cream soo... Maybe replace with yogurt?
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, no matter if it is fructose, lactose, sucrose, etc...................The body processes it the same.

Eat lower glycemic fruits.............

Berries are the lowest
    Melons are the next lowest
    Apples, grapefruit, etc..............

Bananas are among the highest and should be consumed sparingly............

Also, my endocrinologist told me that we should only have 3-4 servings of fruit per week (should be used as a treat, not a staple of the eating plan). The remainder of the servings should be all vegetables, which some veggies have a high natural sugar content also......................
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    My sugar is always WAY over too- most of it from fruit. I'm a banana addict, but I can't resist them. Fruit sugars aren't as big of a concern though (from what I've read). It's added sugar you have to worry about.

Have you had your triglycerides checked?

EAting too much fruit will cause your triglycerides and LCL cholesterol to skyrocket.................Sugar is sugar..............
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

EAting too much fruit will cause your triglycerides and LCL cholesterol to skyrocket.................Sugar is sugar..............

I didn't know LDL and fruits were linked?
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I didn't know LDL and fruits were linked?

The fructose (sugar) in the fruit will cause your triglycerides to rise. When the triglycerides rise, so does your LDL.

I am trying to find the article my endocrinologist printed off the internet for me. I am at work and trying to search for the article........... She told me fruit should be considered a treat and only eaten on occasion, not everyday.

Fruit is natures candy, so it should be treated as such.............
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Here is part of an article....................notice that it includes fruit ...........

Why Sugar is Poison

Dr. Abram Hoffer said, “Refined sugar and all refined foods such as polished rice, white flour, and the like are nothing else than legalized poisons”, and that “sugar is the basic addictive substance from which all other addictions flow”. We certainly know that this is true with alcohol. Many foods have a high glycemic index, which is to say that they break down rapidly into sugar in the blood. The pancreas is then stimulated to produce insulin and gets worn out by too much demand. The body also goes into hyperactivity to store the sugar as fat, to produce cholesterol, and to conserve water. This is happening with all sugar, fruit, or carbohydrate you take in. Simple sugars (to include fruit) and carbohydrates have higher glycemic indices.
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    i actually do not drink soda or any sugary drinks, and take my tea with no additives...it's the damn ice cream. and milk also has sugar. i just feel trapped. i wouldn't care as much if i wasn't in a 2-year plateau. seriously: it's been two years of struggle, and i've nothing else to blame but the sugar. 30g a day may not happen tomorrow, but maybe 50g is achievable...

Do you ever try frozen yogurt instead of ice cream? I know there is quite a difference (being that I am also a MAJOR die hard ice cream fan), but it can be quite good. And you can also freeze your own yogurt in posicle trays to make frozen yogurt type ice cream bars (if that made any sense?)
  • LeanLioness
    Options

Do you ever try frozen yogurt instead of ice cream? I know there is quite a difference (being that I am also a MAJOR die hard ice cream fan), but it can be quite good. And you can also freeze your own yogurt in posicle trays to make frozen yogurt type ice cream bars (if that made any sense?)

If you are eating yogurt such as Yoplait, dannon, etc....................you are just as well off to eat the ice cream.

Yogurt from mainstream grocery stores is nothing more than high fructose corn syrup, sugar and other crap that is not good for you.
  • sjmay
    Options
    Oh? This I didn't know. I have been eating Danon Sillohette. I thought it was good for me. :blushing:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Oh? This I didn't know. I have been eating Danon Sillohette. I thought it was good for me. :blushing:

I eat organic full fat yogurt with a cream line on top and add a drop or 2 of honey.....................

Here are the ingredients of the Strawberry on the Danon Sillohette yogurt:

Notice that sugar is the 2nd ingredient and it has modified corn starch (which is not good for you either). And because it is low fat, when they remove the cream, it takes away from some of the vitamin D, which means that have to go back and fortify it with vitamin D...............making it more processed.
    Skim milk, sugar, cream, strawberries, modified corn starch, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, gelatin, active bacterial cultures, natural and artificial flavours, colour, pectin, vitamin D3. Made with vitamin D fortified skim milk. /quote]
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I eat Mountain High Yoghurt.................

What makes Mountain High Yoghurt different from other yoghurts?

To start with, Mountain High Yoghurt is all natural, with NO artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, starches, or preservatives. It's also made only from rBST-free milk. Perhaps more importantly, it contains live, active, and probiotic cultures. Most commercial brands only contain the "starter cultures" L. bulgaricus and S. thermophilus. These cultures make milk into yoghurt. But Mountain High's unique blend of the live, active and probiotic cultures L. acidophilus, B. bifidus, and L. casei support your overall wellness.

http://www.mountainhighyoghurt.com/html/faq.htm
  • margaretthedevil
    Options

If you are eating yogurt such as Yoplait, dannon, etc....................you are just as well off to eat the ice cream.

Yogurt from mainstream grocery stores is nothing more than high fructose corn syrup, sugar and other crap that is not good for you.

The only yogurt/dairy I would eat is organic. But some people just cannot eat yogurt without any fruit in it as it's soooo sour. Regular milk is just not good for you either. Have you seen what they do to the cows? It's horrifying. They get pumped with antibiotics as they're constantly SICK from their overgrown udders.
    To get the benefits of yogurt take probiotics.
  • sjmay
    Options
    I have wondered about trying the organic yogurt, but I never think of it when I am getting groceries. I will definetly remember next time I go. Thanks for the info! I s'pose I should start paying more attention to the ingredients than just the nutrition labels