do you count milk and sugars in your tea??

Options
I know its probably a silly question, but how do you work out how much milk you drink during the day at work in teas and coffees?

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do. They are the parts that contain the calories and other nutritional factors, so these are what you want to track. Just add the tea as black, then add a new entry with the amount of milk you had, and then how many teaspoons or sugar you had!

That way, you can track how much sugar you've had during the day and will help you adjust if you are getting too much etc.
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do! :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i use the little packets of stevia in the raw, and the little singles of flavored creamers in my coffee. no cals in the stevia, but something like 30-40 in each creamer single. it adds up!
    you could either keep a measuring spoon so that you can measure how much youre using, or do some sort of prepackaged stuff.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I have two sugars in my tea about 3 times a day and I like to watch the carbs so it is good to keep track :)
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    of course you do!!
    I used to have a measured amount of milk in a jug, and log that, then use that jug of milk during the day for drinks, so I knew exactly how much I was consuming, if you wanna accuratly count sugar, try measuring it out, use a sugar cube, or a sweetner tablet.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING....ketchup, creamer, ..... EVERYTHING. If you burn it, count it. Yea it's a pain in the *kitten*, but that's half of the effectiveness!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    you measure it all.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Of course. I add about 20ml milk with my coffee (milk has sugar and calories so def count it) and also your teabag or your type of coffee because although they are low cal they still count. That's like saying you don't add the butter you put on your toast
    x
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING....ketchup, creamer, ..... EVERYTHING. If you burn it, count it. Yea it's a pain in the *kitten*, but that's half of the effectiveness!

Ketchup in my tea??!!! I know that's not what you meant, but it made me smile!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't. I have sugar in my tea and it's one of the things I allow myself however much I wan't and don't count it (same with fruit). I know I'll probably get lynched for saying it but hey ho. I'm still losing weight. I'm going down the low fat route anyway so the calories in sugar etc don't bother me.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I know its probably a silly question, but how do you work out how much milk you drink during the day at work in teas and coffees?

it's not daft in the slightest - after all you don't know so you're asking.

I count it all - used to be very generous with the sugar in my coffee once upon a time. Now It's just the one coffee a day with the sugar, the rest without!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yep - too right I count it.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Of course! The stricter you are in measuring and counting, the more you lose weight. It's the little bits here and there that add up to slow or no loss.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Of course! The stricter you are in measuring and counting, the more you lose weight. It's the little bits here and there that add up to slow or no loss.
    And the more you go insane...

As long as you're not pouring gallons in don't worry too much about it.

If 2 or 3 cups of coffee with creamer is ruining your diet. Well it needs to be looked at again.
  • purplelilac123
    purplelilac123 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use half and half in coffee and put a little bit in my cereal. If I did not count this I could be getting hundreds of extra calories and would stall my weight loss because I use more like two or three servings. I try to be as honest as possible and work it in. I use Sweet N' Low because it provides the sweetness that I am looking for. I know experts say it is bad but I would be spending way too many calories on sugar without it.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't drink tea and coffee but I would say that you have to - it could add up to 25 or so calories and if you're having more than 1 cup a day that's significant.

There was a woman on Supersize v Superskinny who was getting more than half her total calories for the day from milk and sugar in tea! (fair enoughs he was the superskinny and she was drinking up to 20 cups a day but still ...)
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    i have created a "recipe" in the recipe builder that i called "tea and coffee add-ins" for myself. its 3 little milkettes and a teaspoon of sugar... that way i just add 1 each time I have a tea or coffee throughout the day. :)
  • kittynat
    kittynat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a lot of decaff coffee, white with no sugar.

I don't count it at all and I've reached my goal weight.

I think that if I had sugar then I would probably have to count that.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just add an entry for Tetleys tea /w milk that comes up as 22 calories (I don't have sugar). It's not really accurate because a) I drink PG Tips and b) my milk is 1% and for the amount I have it'd be a lot less calories, but quite frankly I'd rather just make a quick round up and enjoy my cup of tea. I now always use that entry whenever I have a cuppa.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    just measure it. if you have a spoon, then log it,even if you estimate it