Chinese

Options
I don't really like chinese, but we're having friends over on Thursday and they all like it so I figured I'd cave and give it a shot. I've had cashew chicken, it's ok.....is it healthy? Can anyone suggest a few healthy dishes that I might like?

I mostly like chicken, rice is ok, some cooked veggies are ok like water chestnuts and the baby corn, but I don't like broccoli or cooked carrots and such.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• margaretthedevil
    Options
    Trust me none of that take out stuff is healthy at all, especially when you add the sauce. You can definitely go way over 1000 calories. Do not get any extras (egg rolls, other fried stuff, side dishes). And do not do not eat the whole dish everrr. Traditionally chinese dishes are meant for sharing. You notice how the portions are huge well that's because it's not meant for one person. Everyone gets a rice bowl and shares a couple of dishes together. Everyone takes from every dish (if you don't want to share germs or w/e get a bowl and take the stuff you want). You'll find you eat a lot less. I see so many Americans eat whole plates of food. No Chinese person would ever do this!

Prepare some multigrain rice beforehand so you can skip the white rice (it's just filler cals with no nutrient whatsoever and bleached!). And remember portion control and get the sauce on the side (if you can).

Get fish (even if it's more expensive). Get soup and drink it before you have the meal. It will fill you up and you'll eat less. Go with vegetarian dishes (if you want), they usually have a separate section for that.

Oh and about the cashews eat those in moderation...a dish of that (cashew and chicken) is over 1000 calories with the sauce and all. You should eat a handful of nuts a day at most. A lot of fats in them (even though they're good for you).
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I know the restaurant PF Chang's has all of it's nutrition info online. You can try to use that to give you an idea of the caloric value of the dishes you had. I also use it as a guide for what are good alternatives - I love egg drop soup, and a cup is only 60 calories! If you live in an area that is health conscious, the place you go might be able to steam something for you. Try some dishes with cabbage if you don't like broccoli.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    stay away from the rice unless it's brown rice

stay away from fried stuff

cashews are yummy but high calorie

stick to veggies and fish

eat as little as possible :laugh:
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Usually there are really great tasting veggie stir-frys on the menu. I'd go for those. Celery, bokchoy, peas and a whole slew of other veggies mixed together. Yum.
    If you can help it try for an actual Chinese run Chinese restaurant. Where I live at least, the ones that are chinese run drench less and offer healthier choices (since they're more traditional, they don't end up dipping everything they have in a batter and frying it)
  • karugg
    karugg Posts: 3
    Options
    Start with a soup.... It will fill you up and hopefully keep you from overeating the bad stuff....

Most Chinese restaurants offer brown rice as an option which will at least add some fiber to the meal for you. Pork, chicken or a shrimp based dish - like chicken and broccoli will be your best options. Stay away from the General Tso, Sweet and Sour or other options that include a fried component. Most of those dishes are not only fried, but they use boneless chicken thighs which are fattier for you.

This was from a website I found:

Less healthy choices
    Fried egg rolls, spare ribs, tempura
    Battered or deep-fried dishes (sweet and sour pork, General Tso’s chicken)
    Deep-fried tofu
    Coconut milk, sweet and sour sauce, regular soy sauce
    Fried rice
    Salads with fried or crispy noodles

Healthier choices
    Egg drop, miso, wonton, or hot & sour soup
    Stir-fried, steamed, roasted or broiled entrees (Shrimp chow mein, chop suey)
    Steamed or baked tofu
    Sauces such as ponzu, rice-wine vinegar, wasabi, ginger, and low-sodium soy sauce
    Steamed brown rice
    Edamame, cucumber salad, stir-fried veggies

Good luck!
  • karugg
    Options
    Also... can you get a good walk in the morning, at lunch and maybe before they come over to burn off more so you can enjoy some of it? I'm having a hard time sticking to 1200 calories, so I add extra walks in with the dog so I can "bonus" myself. That way I don't feel deprived or like I am missing out on everything.
  • karugg
    Options
    Also... can you get a good walk in the morning, at lunch and maybe before they come over to burn off more so you can enjoy some of it? I'm having a hard time sticking to 1200 calories, so I add extra walks in with the dog so I can "bonus" myself. That way I don't feel deprived or like I am missing out on everything.
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    Did you say you are having folks over ?

So are you looking for ideas of some dishes you can make that are healthy ?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Did you say you are having folks over ?

So are you looking for ideas of some dishes you can make that are healthy ?

No we'll be getting it from a restaurant.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Wor Wonton soup, veggies and wontons in a clear broth. I love it, but add extra soy sauce so the sodium content is through the roof!