I want to JOG!! Ideas for a beginner :)

Options
Good afternoon everyone!! :flowerforyou:

I joined MFP a while ago, and i'm struggling to lose with only a small amount of exercise. :yawn:

I try and swim twice a week, but I love my food and I need another low cost way of burning calories!! :laugh:

I've seen the results people get from becoming runners. I need the drive, and as i'm planning my wedding I can't afford to join classes at the Gym. :cry:

So what i'd like from you lovely people is some ideas on how to get started?? How did you start off - what do you think is an adequate running time for starters - and how much time should I add?? Should I run daily or every other day??

Soooo many questions!! In case it makes a difference, i'm 5 ft 3 and weigh in at 160lbs. Thank you all :smooched:

Replies

• hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My advice? Just do it! :-) That's the hardest part! Actually, getting a good pair of running shoes should be the first thing-that is very important. Once you have those, just slowly ease into jogging while you walk. Even if it's just for 20 seconds. See what your body can do. If that is nothing, try jogging for a minute and then walking for 2. If you look up the Couch to 5K program, there is TONS of information out there.

When you are starting, you may want to just run every other day. And make sure that you are warming up, cooling down, and stretch! For me, stretching is the most important part of running, and I spend a TON of time on it.

Good luck, you can rock it!
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    After a good pair of running shoes ( you can go to a running store and they will help you pick the right shoes for your feet) I would recommend starting with walking and adding in little spurts of jogging as you can for short periods. You can gradually add in more jogging.
    I think its really best just to start slow and don't try to over do it because you don't want to injure yourself. Maybe even invest in a running book.
    Just my thoughts. I will be interested to read what others have to say too
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Have a look here - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

get a pair of running shoes, (not cross trainers or gym shoes) and a very supportive sports bra, and away you go.

I'm on week 4.

Good Luck. :)
  • amyheine
    amyheine Posts: 3
    Options
    There is an APP for that. Couch to 5k or 10k. They are great and help one go from non-runner to runner is a matter of a couple months. 3 days per week gradually adding more and more time to your running interval. Get good shoes and an APP --- off you go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yep, c25k program is a great way to go. I have never been a runner, but with this program will be starting on week 6 today! It's working great for me.
  • cjrutledge
    cjrutledge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great! Give it a try!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Looking for a local running club can also help. Particularly if you find working out with other people motivating. Most groups will have a begginers group you can run with and you get the benifit of the advice of the leaders.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    c25k!
  • kymom65
    kymom65 Posts: 2
    Options
    Would highly recommend Couch to 5k. I did that first and now am on week 12 of Couch to 10k. I am running 5 miles about 3 times per week.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Get a buddy/group and work on the Couch to 5K program together!! It's only a few days a week, and having a group to do it with means you will be held accountable. The workouts are short and simple, and will keep you from doing too much too fast.
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    C25K is great if you can or else just do some intervals, either do 20 seconds jog. 20secs walk or, if you know your route, give yourself certain points that you will jog to then walk to.

Then, after time, you can test how far you have on by how many 'points' you make it round without stopping. Which is exactly wha tI am going to do tonight! :-) x
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When I started running I began by alternating between walking and running...
    each time pushing myself further than before...
    eventually I was only walking during my warm up and cooldown :)
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    When I decided I wanted to run, I just went out and ran. I went as far as I could then walked home. Did that method all the way to a half marathon last year and I am now training for a marathon.
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just do it!! make a kick *kitten* playlist and just go with the flow. There's no set standard or time...its you against you!
  • alanindahlonega
    alanindahlonega Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I joined runkeeper (runkeeper.com), then use auto post to facebook...the "peer pressure" with publicly posting will help with drive...finding new runners to run with helps too...good luck with the wedding.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Definitively give C25k a try...my sister did it and she just ran her 1st half marathon a couple weeks ago, I'm close to halfway through it. It's great :).
    Get yourself a good pair of shoes, and if you don't have a smartphone to dl the app to (like me) find a pod cast...there are plenty for all music styles...just google it and load it onto your mp3 player of choice. Don't be afraid to repeat weeks...take it slow...only do a speed you can handle for a length of time you can handle and you'll get there!
    Good Luck!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!

What do you hate about it?

As it is recommended by Health service in the UK it seemed like a sensible one to follow.
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've been running for over 15 years and love it. I can tell you I hated it when I started though and NEVER thought I would be a runner. Everyone above has given you really good advice. You want to start really slow with a walk, jog, walk (you will be walking more than running at the beginning. Here is a great new runners program from Runners World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-0,00.html

Good luck!!
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    I have done the Couch to 5k program successfully, but now am with a running group here that is just for women. Honestly, I like it better than the C25k because I am more motivated when a group, and there are also coaches who help me with specific issues (like learning to breathe right) right in the middle of our run walks.