I want to JOG!! Ideas for a beginner :)

Options
124»

Replies

• xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am on my 8th week of C25K and will be finishing next week.
    I still have to stop in the middles of my 28 min right at this time. But when I am done next week I will start over and continue to use this program until I am happy with my results.
    C25K ROCKS!!! :love:
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I also agree with C25K. I have the C25K Pro app on my phone and followed that. I just finished week 9 last week and somewhere in there I turned into a runner.

About 4 weeks in I told my hubby that I was hoping to become a runner but it wasn't happening but I was going to finish the program anyways and by the end I loved the challenge and got to the point that running/jogging for 30 minutes wasn't a chore. I can't wait til my tattoo heals a little more so I can go do a run at the gym (maybe outside tonight because it will be nice out).

It's worth it!!!!
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this! I love all the comments and fabulous advice. Thank you!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    And whatever you do, don't scrimp on the bra either! Love the boobs and they will love you right back!

Another C25k lover here...yes it is hard work, yes you will wonder WHY on EARTH you are putting yourself through this but trust me, you will love it! As a note, you can listen to your own music on the c25k...all you need to remember is run the app over the top of your playlist i.e. play the music first and then launch the app.

I ran my 1st 5k without finishing c25k (my choice and it was hard - I had to walk for bits of it) but without it I would never have considered entering the race. I repeated weeks sometimes for 3 weeks. There is no shame in it. It has 9 weeks as general goal...there is no rule that says you MUST complete it in 9 weeks.

Good luck and remember to have fun too!
  • Ruthe314
    Ruthe314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hated running and started for the same reason! I took a friends advice and used my ipod. I'd walk for a song, run for a song...had to do that for a few weeks and will never forget the day the song ended and I kept running! Now I. LIVE to run! Can't do without it! Runnersworld.com is full of info and a lot of fun!
  • StefSamelko
    Options
    I always ran cross country and track in high school/college. My father got me into it...he ran the Boston marathon a million times so naturally I learned from him. First, you need an excellent pair of running shoes...don't go cheap and always get fitted from someone who knows what they're doing! LOL I would try to lightly jog as you walk even if it's only for a couple of seconds. Make sure you stretch, warm up, and cool down!!! Don't jog/run everyday in the beginning...your body's not used to it and you will feel it!! Build up minutes/days as you go...and don't push yourself more than your body can handle. It's best to start a little at a time and build up endurance...sooner or later you'll feel like you can go forever!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice so far. Just wanted to share a few other things I've learned...

As far as your pace question goes - it's a totally individual thing. Some people are built for speed and/or distance some of us can do distance but not speed and some of us can't go very far or very fast. All depends on your fitness level, genetics, etc. The important thing is not how fast you can go but that you're doing it and know that your speed and/or distance will increase as your body gets stronger. As the saying goes "you're still pacing everyone who's still sitting on the couch!".

A common experience for beginner runners is that you lose your breath before you lose your energy. That usually means that you're trying to run too fast. Either slow your pace down or don't expect to get very far when you sprint at first. Try to keep your feet under you (don't attempt those long graceful strides right away) and keep the tension out of your shoulders - both of these help with keeping your energy level up. If you waste your energy on tension and exaggerated movements, you won't get as far.

Finally, a little strength training and good stretching can help a lot! Many of us have weak lower backs, upper glutes and hip flexors that can be the source of a lot of discomfort. I found exercises like leg lifts, supermans and bridge/pelvic thrust to be very beneficial.

If you're up to reading some great info about beginner running, check out "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. Excellent read and a lot of his info can also apply to weight loss.
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    When I began running I had never heard of C25K so, no, I didn't "try it". I also have not since "tried it" because I have no use for it as I'm running farther distances than a 5K. I have, however, listened to the podcast so I could see what it was all about. Obviously people love it, have recommended it, and the OP has decided to try it. Good for her. Again, she asked for advice and I gave mine. It doesn't have to agree with everyone else.
    So you hate it, but never actually tried it. I see.

As a person who at one time weighed almost 300 lbs there is no way that I could have followed that program of running for 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks. I think it offers unrealistic expectations for obese people. Yes, I know you can repeat weeks and go as fast or as slow as you need to go, but often people get so frustrated because they feel they're going too slow. Plus, it also could make a person feel defeated if they have to repeat a week. But this is just my opinion.
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!

What do you hate about it?

As it is recommended by Health service in the UK it seemed like a sensible one to follow.
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am starting my THIRD week of Couch to 5K .....and I have never, ever, ever, been athletic or even able to run my whole life. (Im 43. ) So far, I have been able to do the intervals that is instructed to do. Try it......and see what happens! If I can do this....Im going to try a harder goal and push myself for more! : ) Best of luck!

Amazing!!! I'm definately doing this....We'll see what happens! :flowerforyou:

If you download the podcasts from the NHS site, you get a trainer, Laura, that talks to you during your walking sections to give you tips too.

You can download it to your phone, or an MP3 player.

Good luck. :)

Ahhhh, this is exactly what I was looking for - there seems to be loads of different apps, and it's difficult to know which one to get? I'll download the podcast :happy:
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, so I'll just tell you what I did to start. When I started, I was 198 lbs, with no exercise, b/c I have a desk job. I use a treadmill, and I started off walking for 30 minutes, the next day I walked for 29 minutes, jogged the last minute, then the next day I walked for 28 minutes, jogged the last 2 minutes....and so on. I'm now up to jogging 27 straight minutes, so I'll be at 30 minutes before the week. That has worked well for me. You can still apply the same method if you don't have a treadmill are are just walking at a park or whereved. I also use a HRM so I can get an accurate heart rate and calorie burn. It works well for me, but everyone is different.....good luck on your journey! :)
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used to go jogging 3x a week pretty consistently about a year ago, but haven't since. Anyways, I started jogging again yesterday with my sister. We go to a local park/ nature center and just jog/ run as far/ long as we can, walk a bit, then jog some more. You could also try something like the C25K program. A bunch of my cousins have done this and loved it.
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice so far. Just wanted to share a few other things I've learned...

As far as your pace question goes - it's a totally individual thing. Some people are built for speed and/or distance some of us can do distance but not speed and some of us can't go very far or very fast. All depends on your fitness level, genetics, etc. The important thing is not how fast you can go but that you're doing it and know that your speed and/or distance will increase as your body gets stronger. As the saying goes "you're still pacing everyone who's still sitting on the couch!".

A common experience for beginner runners is that you lose your breath before you lose your energy. That usually means that you're trying to run too fast. Either slow your pace down or don't expect to get very far when you sprint at first. Try to keep your feet under you (don't attempt those long graceful strides right away) and keep the tension out of your shoulders - both of these help with keeping your energy level up. If you waste your energy on tension and exaggerated movements, you won't get as far.

Finally, a little strength training and good stretching can help a lot! Many of us have weak lower backs, upper glutes and hip flexors that can be the source of a lot of discomfort. I found exercises like leg lifts, supermans and bridge/pelvic thrust to be very beneficial.

If you're up to reading some great info about beginner running, check out "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. Excellent read and a lot of his info can also apply to weight loss.

Thank you for this, it's very helpful :bigsmile:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't see how you can give advice on something, say it's stupid and you hate it, if you have even never tried it.

When I began running I had never heard of C25K so, no, I didn't "try it". I also have not since "tried it" because I have no use for it as I'm running farther distances than a 5K. I have, however, listened to the podcast so I could see what it was all about. Obviously people love it, have recommended it, and the OP has decided to try it. Good for her. Again, she asked for advice and I gave mine. It doesn't have to agree with everyone else.

As a person who at one time weighed almost 300 lbs there is no way that I could have followed that program of running for 30 minutes straight in 9 weeks. I think it offers unrealistic expectations for obese people. Yes, I know you can repeat weeks and go as fast or as slow as you need to go, but often people get so frustrated because they feel they're going too slow. Plus, it also could make a person feel defeated if they have to repeat a week. But this is just my opinion.
    I, personally, HATE the stupid Couch to 5K program and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. My advice is to research marathoner and Olympian, Jeff Galloway',s run/walk interval program. He has a proven program that will take you from non-runner to runner by adding intervals into your runs. This is especially important for beginners who can't run for long periods of time yet. I took 21 minutes off my half marathon time by using the Galloway run/walk method. I recommend that!

As it is recommended by Health service in the UK it seemed like a sensible one to follow.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Good lord, you two, get a room!!!
    Sorry, but I don't see how you can give advice on something, say it's stupid and you hate it, if you have even never tried it.

• abbeyl11
    abbeyl11 Posts: 73
    Options
    If you like to run to music, there is an app called PodRunner that basically does couch to 5k by running to the beat of the music. It helps me pace myself and not run too fast and get worn out.