Frozen "Healthy" Dinners as Meals- Advice

Options
I would really like some information on the frozen dinners such as Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, etc.
Does anyone rely on them for every meal? Are they beneficial?
The reason I am asking is because my husband refuses to eat a healthy meal, so I usually have to fix what he wants then a healthy meal for me. These frozen dinners would make life so much easier!
What are some better alternatives?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think you'll get a wide range of answers based on a someone's personal views.

For me, they are convenient and sometimes, when I work 9 hours I want something quick and easy to eat when I get home. I don't eat them daily or even weekly, but I do eat them.

Read the labels. Some of them are better than other ones. If you have issues with it, you'll want to watch the sodium in them as it can be on the high side (I don't have issues with sodium, so it doesn't bother or worry me).

They do have preservatives in them (which is where the "clean eaters" will come in and say "They are JUNK!"). Other people say they don't fill them up (they do for me).

On the weekends (or your days off) you could make a bunch of healthy meals yourself, portion them out and freeze them. That would be an alternative to them. Since I'm not much of a cook and would rather not spend my days off slaving in a kitchen, I'll just go and buy a couple of these meals to have around.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    the only bad thing about them... to me lol... is that they are high in sodium. just drink a lot of water and ull be good to go. As for ur husband, just eat what he eats in moderation. im sure u arent cooking him big mac and french fries every night. "healthy food", to me, is one that is home made. I wouldnt worry to much about eating something different from what he is. just have to have self control.
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I really do not think they are very "healthy" i eat them for lunch occasionally. Try salads, whole grain cereals, eggs, chicken, tilapia, make a dinner where there are a few healthy options that you can eat and still a few things that he wants. For example here is a meal that accomodates everyone in my family.

Chicken breast
    Side salad
    Mac and Cheese

I eat the salad and chicken. My husband smothers the chicken in either bbq sauce or honey mustard on his plate, eats the salad and mac and cheese as well.
    My son will eat the Mac and cheese and lettuce dipped in cesar or ranch.

Hamburgers
    Fries
    Broccoli

I will eat 1/2 to possibly a whole hamburger with broccoli and perhaps 2-3 fries. My husband puts cheese on his hamburger and tons of toppings, loads his fries with cheese in the microwave and broccoli. My son will eat the fries and broccoli.

I just try to make a "win/win" dinner for my family because cooking two separate meals would be way too much for me.
  • JustLena75
    JustLena75 Posts: 114
    Options
    You can usually fit in most foods with a little healthy adjustments, as a previous poster suggested. I would NOT be fixing two meals. He needs to compromise with you somehow or learn to cook for himself.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Like Cmh1211 said, they are high in sodium, and usually high in GI 9white rice, potato, pastas) but they tick the calorie box, and when you are simply out of time, then YES, use them.

I needed to kickstart my diet when i first started, so used them for almost every meal and it was great - for about 1000 calories I could get 3 meals per day which was a great boost. After a couple of months though, I made a shift toward whole foods. My weight loss slowed down, (I was eating more calories) but I felt more balanced.

I now keep 4 in the freezer all the time, just in case! Cheaper, and better for you than a takeaway!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I eat them when I have a serious time constraint. I do see them as good or bad, I just use them in the interest of time and stay below my calorie goal.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would really like some information on the frozen dinners such as Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Lean Cuisine, etc.
    Does anyone rely on them for every meal? Are they beneficial?
    The reason I am asking is because my husband refuses to eat a healthy meal, so I usually have to fix what he wants then a healthy meal for me. These frozen dinners would make life so much easier!
    What are some better alternatives?
    uh oh...here's where my "strong willed, single girl" attitude comes in...
    If you're cooking and he doesn't want it, isn't he free to make his own meal?
    Besides, do you have to tell him it's healthy? Chicken is chicken right?
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I personally have been eating the Weight watchers Smart Ones for almost 2 weeks now and I think their great,they control portion size for you and I don't feel hungry afterwards,like someone else already said drink lots of water,I live on water and have been doing pretty good with my weight loss,so it's definitely a personal decision you have to make.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    They do have preservatives in them (which is where the "clean eaters" will come in and say "They are JUNK!"). Other people say they don't fill them up (they do for me).

I guess I'm one of those but to me it is also about the "cooking" process. 60-80% of the nutritional value of food is lost when you heat it up/cook it. Half your plate should be fruits and veggies and eat as much as possible RAW or lightly steamed. It requires planning and effort to eat healthy.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I live on them during the work week... convenient and low cal for me. I've still been losing weight and it fits my busy schedule.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat them every meal, but they're not bad to have sometimes. They're usually high in sodium, and not exactly made from the best ingredients, but they're low in calories and usually have a good fat/carb/protein ratio.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I am sure some of them are good but my personal opinion try to stay away from the processed stuff. It has all sorts of additives and a ton of sodium. If you are looking for convenience try making large meals on teh weekends and freezing them in serving size containers. Then during the week you can take them out and zap them in the microwave. At least that way you know exactly what is in them because you put it there.
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    bump
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionaly and usually add vegetables to them or Ill prepare a side salad to go along with them. It is really about convenience. Another thing I do is make a huge batch of brown rice and freeze it in cup portions. I also buy a bag of tyson chicken tenderloins. Both can be made into healthy stir frys in a jiffy or baked chicken with brown rice. Just add veggies to both as desired. Ive also mixed brown rice with the brocoli and cheese steamers and thats makes a quick easy and filling meal. Just some ideas!

- JoAnna
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There are alot of meals you can make that don't sound or taste like "health" food, but are actually pretty tasty, and perfectly suitable for a household. Check out Skinnytaste.com, the food is great, seriously.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a cookbook that I love. It is Taste of Home's comfort foods cookbook. It has "traditional" recipes made healthy and includes the calorie count. My husband and kids have no idea they are eating healthy options. I do eat a Healthy Choice like meal once or twice a week at work on my busiest days, but they don't really fill me up and they are loaded with sodium.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If he won't eat, then let him cook his own dinner. I cook healthy meals, and my son and husband can eat it, or not. They do.
    If he wants pasta as a side, then make chicken and his side, and your side, if you do have to cook for him.

I think they are junk (sorry). for me, they cause huge cravings and make me want to eat more.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I guess these dinners would be best for a quick fix when the husband is fixing his bear stew (yuck).
    Another bad thing is is that he HATES greens! I've just recently gotten him to like green beans (mmmm Papaw's homegrown) and for the first time he's eating salads! Now if I can just get him to start liking broccoli, spinach and peas I'll be happy.
    I feel bad about eating things like fries and hamburges. Mac and cheese is my all-time weakness! But as mentioned, as long as it's homecooked and in moderation?
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Healthy doesn't have to be boring. There are so many websites out there that have healthy meal ideas and are really good. Everything from the old chicken breast standby to casseroles and even mac and cheese. My favorite site is www.skinnytaste.com. Everything I have made from there so far my kids and husband love and it doesn't taste like "diet" food. Try the chicken broccoli noodle casserole and the healthy baked chicken nuggets.
  • Emili03
    Emili03 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners have been a staple for me in the past but after a while you'll get sick of them. Since you are already cooking, I would try to find ways to modify the meals you are cooking for your husband so that you can have some too. A few tricks that I've used on my husband that significantly lowered the fat content of the food are using skim milk and parkay butter spray in place of regular butter and milk. Plus, figuring out trade offs that you can both live with will help you out tons in the future when you are trying to maintain your weight. An example, today I am maklng cinnamon toast using whole wheat bread, truvia (natural sweetener with zero calories), zero cal parkay butter spray and of course cunnamon. I wonder if anyone will even notice the difference?:wink: