Things moving too slow, any advice?

Options
Hi all, today I weighed myself again and I have nothing off from last week. This is the end of the 4th week and I have lost 4lbs in total, not much when you have over 40 to loose, it's very disheartening especially since I am sticking to the rules (for the best part) and exercising at least twice a week which is a big up from doing nothing at all. Has anybody been in the same boat, or can offer any insight as to what I'm doing wrong. I think my diary should be open, let me know if it's not, all advice and comments appreciated; need friends also please.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi all, today I weighed myself again and I have nothing off from last week. This is the end of the 4th week and I have lost 4lbs in total, not much when you have over 40 to loose, it's very disheartening especially since I am sticking to the rules (for the best part) and exercising at least twice a week which is a big up from doing nothing at all. Has anybody been in the same boat, or can offer any insight as to what I'm doing wrong. I think my diary should be open, let me know if it's not, all advice and comments appreciated; need friends also please.
    Who are you racing against? Jillian Michaels? The Biggest Loser?

I mean what's the rush? Did it take 4 weeks to put on 40lbs? Of course not.

My advice to you is to stay consistent.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i know ... i want mine to come off quickly too
    but he is right ....it did not go on in a couple weeks
    more like the past 5 - 6 years!!!:bigsmile:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Who are you racing against? Jillian Michaels? The Biggest Loser?

I mean what's the rush? Did it take 4 weeks to put on 40lbs? Of course not.

My advice to you is to stay consistent.

This, and the slower you do take it all off the better the result, losing weight is one thing, not ending up looking like a deflated balloon is another.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    A lb a week is awesome.
  • dancingqueen2013
    dancingqueen2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Guys I know you are right and it didn't go on overnight but I suppose I expected more for my efforts, I will keep trying and to Fitnesssocial, how funny as I only ordered Jillian Michaels 30day shred yesterday LOL.
    Thanks
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    actually this the recommended way to lose weight..those who set unrealistic goals typically end up not meeting them, hence getting disappointed and fail. a slow gradual weight loss helps to keep you on track..as its realistic. those who choose slow steady weight loss tend to keep the weight off in the long run. plus losing too fast can mean you arent intaking enough nutrients to be healthy, because you may have lowered your calorie/food intake too much..this can also lead to muscle/lean tissue breakdown which means your bmr will lower. hence hitting plateaus...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like?
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I think everyone feels like this, but 1lbs a week is a good loss. It is true that those who lose slowly and steadily are more likely to keep the weight off.

I try and set myself lots smaller goals so I have something achievable to aim for. I would love to lose it quickly, but unless I find the magic cure I will be happy with every loss. I know it can be frustrating, but it not all about that end weight!

Good luck and feel free to friend me if you want some more support! xx

:flowerforyou:
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, open your diary and we'll take a look!
  • Cathebass
    Cathebass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Keep with it..
    Record your food honestly and regularly (MFP makes this easy).

I know it's hugely frustrating when the weight doesn't come off as fast as you would like it to. I mean, I would dearly love to wake up one morning and find that my surplus poundage has magically disappeared overnight. But that's not going to happen. I'd like to be losing 2lb a week, but seem to be losing, on average, 1lb a week.

But losing anything - or even staying the same - is MUCH better than having the scales moving in the other direction.

You've lost 4lb? Well done! That's getting on for 10% of what you're hoping to lose. That's a great start! :smile:
    You've been on MFP for 4 weeks? Again, well done! :smile:

Celebrate achievements like this, and keep on keeping on. That's the only way to do it. It won't happen overnight, but if you stick to it, it will happen in the end.

I'm looking to lose 39lb (I started off needing to lose 41lb and managed to lose 2lb before coming across MFP. I've now shed 7 with MFP - which has taken me just over 6 weeks - it's not coming off fast, but it is coming off.

Good luck, and keep it up!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open. It's under settings I seem to recall. Let's have a look and see.
    I think a lb a week is great! I know how you feel though, when you feel you have a lot to lose I assume I will lose it quicker at a rate of 2lbs a week.
    I swear by a few things. (Disclaimer alert; this is me, not what you SHOULD do blah blah blah. Always consult a physician etc.)
    * green tea - I drink 6-8 cups a day ( I feel it gets my metabolism going and stops hunger, also water intake is great!)
    * low sodium - I seem to retain water weight if I eat salty food like gammon
    * Breakfast - used to hate it, made myself eat it and now I'm starving in the morning. Stops mid afternoon binges and my poop is nice and regular!
    * I went brown! (brown bread and brown rice)
    * Forums - in the evenings if I wanted to snack I come here and delve into the success boards and read about will power etc

and finally.....
    * I learnt how to throw stuff away! This was the hardest for me! I hate throwing food away but it was a mental block I had to get through!

you're doing great!
    this is a journey I like to call it, explore yourself and what makes you tick. What's your relationship with food blah blah blah.
    Good luck!

:drinker:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is great.
    You should just be patient!
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I've been on for 30 days and I have only lost 1 lb. Something is amiss with me, but I'm not sure what it is.

1 lb/week is fantastic!
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    We'd all like it to speed up sometimes but it's better to do it slowly as there's more chance for you and your body to adapt to the change in lifestyle and then you have a better chance of not putting weight back on.

Stick at it, 1lb a week is pretty good and you should be proud of yourself for doing well.
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started on Jan 1st and have so far lost 13lbs - slightly over 1lb a week but that hasn't been steady I can gain 2lbs one week and then lose 3 the next and nothing the following week so I totally understand where you are coming from but like most people have said 1lb a week is awsome and if you don't believe me google what 1lb of fat looks like and I think you will change your frame of mind on the subject - I did! x
  • mommynmotion
    mommynmotion Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree that slow is better, however, your diary is a mess! Sorry, but true.

You have been completely inconsistant, atleast for the past week. You have 300 cals over, quick add 25oo cals, quick add 1400 cals, 1200 cals...how do you know that you ate 2500 and 1400 cals....guessing won't cut it! You have to KNOW how many calories and what they are from....so that's about 5 out of the last 7 days that had quick adds and a random amount of calories.

Also, I think you aren't eating enough. With 40 pounds to lose, I would think you need about 1800 net to lose weight. Have you figured out your BMR yet? There is no way that 1200 calories is enough food for you...I promise!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • dancingqueen2013
    Options
    Ok, I agree the weekend was poor with the quick adds and I shouldn't guesstimate, but I was away for the weekend so I was unable to add exactly what I ate but in fairness I think I over estimated to err on the side of caution as I was really carefull with my food choices. Any other quick adds are usually from something that has the calories on the packaging or I know them exactly without looking them up, but point taken. Interesting that you should say that 1200 is too low, It is hard to stick to at times, maybe I will up it to 1400 to see what happens.
    Haven't done BMR yet, will see about that this week.

Thanks for advice mommy n ; and thanks to everyone for their comments as I'm amazed at all the motiviation and support you can get on here. Will refocus and get stuck in once again.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I've been on for 30 days and I have only lost 1 lb. Something is amiss with me, but I'm not sure what it is.

1 lb/week is fantastic!

0267 I sent you a friend request
    I think you need to up your calories a bit:flowerforyou:
  • tuppertracy
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. It's exactly what I'm facing. I've been on MFP for 2 weeks, use my food journal faithfully, exercise 2 or 3 tmes a week for an hour each time, and I haven't lost one single pound. I'm sure it may take a little time for my body to adjust to good food and exercise since it hasn't experienced that in a very long time. Still, I wish I would see some reward for the changes I've made. If I lost a pound or so a week, I would reach my 60 pound goal in around a year and I'm ok with that since it took 20 years to put it on. I'm going to be 40 next month and would like to see a little progress by then, just for motivation. Any suggestions would be welcome. We can be friends and work through this journey together if you like. Take care.
  • dancingqueen2013
    Options
    Dont loose heart, it could take up to a month to loose any but you will. I didnt even weigh myself for 3 weeks for fear of seeing those scales not moving but when I did, I had 4lbs off, but a week later nothing, so it could be another couple of weeks before I have another drop. Some people loose at different rates so we should just dig our heels in and keep at it and success will be ours.