Runkeeper & HRM

Options
I'm looking to purchase a HRM, and I use Runkeeper to track my runs. I see that Polar WearLink syncs. Does anyone use it and like it? Or there other ones that sync that you like better? TIA!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper but am not sure how it syncs with a Polar WearLink and didn't know that they do. I use the app on my phone and then have my HRM on as well, but I've never purposefully synced anything, so I doubt they're just "talking" to each.

That said, I was actually *just* telling the hubby that the RunKeeper calories burned are always super close on with my HRM reading, so for today, since I forgot my HRM watch when I hit the trail, I just used the RunKeeper calories and feel pretty confident about the number.

But now I'm going to look into the possibility of really syncing them. If folks haven't already answered your question by the time I find out further info, I'll make sure to come back and report my findings. :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper never gave accurate calorie burn readings compared to my HRM . I could run two miles and it would say I burned like 75 calories. My Timex HRM doesn't sync to it. However lately I've been running on the tread mill at the gym instead of outside so RK wouldn't be doing much good lol
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I think I read that the Bluetooth signal from the chest strap doesnt work with iPhones...
    I actually just went out with my OLD polar HRM and it's signal seems to interfere with the gps that runkeeper works on. Now the gps never was too reliable, so I'll have to give it another try before I blame the HRM...
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far.

For further clarification, I'm not as concerned with the calories burned (LOL, never thought I'd say that) as much as wanting the data for training purposes. I like the idea that the info goes on to my Runkeeper graphs. http://runkeeper.com/heart-rate-monitoring
    I think I read that the Bluetooth signal from the chest strap doesnt work with iPhones...
    I actually just went out with my OLD polar HRM and it's signal seems to interfere with the gps that runkeeper works on. Now the gps never was too reliable, so I'll have to give it another try before I blame the HRM...

I use Android. For iPhone they say to use Wahoo and it has a chip that you plug in (like the Nike+ chip)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    so it wasn't just my imagination...
    I'm not to fussed with combining HRM and RK (translate it isn't worth the $$$ to me). I used RK before i fixed my HRM to keep track of what I am doing... It kind of loses the novelty, especially when the GPS signal isn't reliable...
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's actually good input. Maybe I should hold off until it's time to upgrade to a Garmin or something. Thanks so much!
  • stone2cut
    stone2cut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic for my runs and I saw that they are going to be releasing their own heart rate monitor soon that integrates with their apps. Not sure when but just an fyi.

http://www.runtastic.com/en/products
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    I'm looking to purchase a HRM, and I use Runkeeper to track my runs. I see that Polar WearLink syncs. Does anyone use it and like it? Or there other ones that sync that you like better? TIA!

For iPhone 4S and 5 the polar wear link Bluetooth will sync with Runkeeper. As does the wahoo Bluetooth HR chest strap. The iPhone 4 and below requires a dongle plug in. Refer to the wahoo website.
    Hope that helps.