Help, need to know if this counts as exercise??

Options
So every monday i GIVE between a 60-90 min massage I need to know if this considered exercise since its not an everyday occurance (its about 360-540calories for one).

Replies

• dougpear
    dougpear Posts: 21
    Options
    Depends what type of exercise, if its assumed to be strength exercise I'd say so. Doubt your heart rate would get high enough to count as cardio exercise. Doesn't mean it doesn't burn a lot of cals though!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    How do you know you burn that much (seems like a lot)? Do you wear a HRM? If you do it's ok to count, if you don't I wouldnt
  • taul07
    taul07 Posts: 12
    Options
    There's a website that figures it up, they ask weight and then for how long.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I would consider that part of the normal daily activity that MFP uses to calculate your daily calorie goal.

So NO. Unless you put in that you were sedentary, it is not exercise.

Personally, I only include it if I made an effort to exercise. Anything else (walking to class, work, etc) is just normal daily activity.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, then it's probably not.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything as exercise that I was doing before I started losing weight. I grocery shopped, walked upstairs, cleaned my house, drove, lifted boxes, and all of those other miscellaneous activities that some members count as exercise.... and I was still fat.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would consider that part of the normal daily activity that MFP uses to calculate your daily calorie goal.

This. That way you have a calorie deficit on Mondays, with out even knowing. I know if I counted it as exercise, I would probably eat back those calories. If you don't track it, you won't eat them.
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything as exercise that I was doing before I started losing weight. I grocery shopped, walked upstairs, cleaned my house, drove, lifted boxes, and all of those other miscellaneous activities that some members count as exercise.... and I was still fat.

This.

If you were already doing it before you wanted to lose weight, don't count it. It fools you into thinking you are better off than you are.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

So NO. Unless you put in that you were sedentary, it is not exercise.

Personally, I only include it if I made an effort to exercise. Anything else (walking to class, work, etc) is just normal daily activity.

^^^Truth. ;)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, then it's probably not.

^ she beat me to it, but yeah. Especially if you're going to be eating back exercise calories, I'd say since you do it every day, maybe modify your activity level instead.