Shocked and amazed

Options
There have been a few posts recently about getting children to eat healthy. While I understand this is an area of concern, it should'nt be being addressed at 10, 11, 12, 13 etc. It should start when kids start eating real food. There are so many obese children now a days, parents just don't care and it pisses me off. "How do I teach my kid healthy choices?" First off, You serve healthy food, and that's what they get. Second, make your kid go outside!

YOU ARE THE PARENT!!!! What are my kids doing on the weekends? Either they are outside playing with the neighbors, jumping on the trampoline, riding bikes, scooters etc. or we are away from the house. This last Saturday we were out, seriously walking around all day long at a fair.

Also, my kiddos drink almost nothing but water, they have the once or twice a month soda as a treat. I'm baffled by some parents on here.

It's not hard to get your kids moving, it's not hard to get your kids eating well.

Had to get that off my chest

/rant

Replies

• spudman1232
    Options
    amen sista!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Agree, by the time they are teenagers, you don't have as much control over what they eat and how much exercise they get. You need to develop the good habits when they are young. (They also don't listen to you when they are teenagers since they know everything.)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
    People seem to forget that though they look and act like small adults, they are in fact still learning.
    Teach them to the best of your ability.
    If you are unable, find someone that can.
    And the best lesson you can teach is by example.
    I grew up around women that yo-yo dieted, I in turn yo-yo dieted. After seeing for myself how ridiculous it was, I found this site to teach me a better way.

Don't rely on schools to do all the work, they're your kids.
  • kbrunner2
    kbrunner2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I have 5 children and they are outside any chance they get. I usually have to drag them in the house at dark. We are a very outdoor type of family though. We camp, hike, go whitewater rafting, etc. My children are all on the low range for their weight. I have always made healthy food with lots of vegetables and we do not have much "junk" food around. Portion control was my problem and why I am at the weight I am. My husband and I are working on that for us now and I am teaching the kids portion control also.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    seriously!!!!!!!! I have always done this, and my 6 year old will pick broccoli over french fries, only wants half a cupcake because it is "too sweet" and would rather have fruit, wont drink juice at all. only wants water to drink..... because I never let her know that "veggies are gross" or cookies are a "reward". It is too late if the kid has already reached middle school!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sing it girl! You are so right. When I was a kid we ate what was served and we didn't dare complain about it and we were always outside. When and if I have children it will be the same. I remember once in a blue moon we would get McDonalds for a treat or a bag of chips and a pop to share while we watched TGIF... lol takes me back.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    seriously!!!!!!!! I have always done this, and my 6 year old will pick broccoli over french fries, only wants half a cupcake because it is "too sweet" and would rather have fruit, wont drink juice at all. only wants water to drink..... because I never let her know that "veggies are gross" or cookies are a "reward". It is too late if the kid has already reached middle school!

Exactly. My almost 8 year old's favorite food is broccoli. No joke.
  • Tanyawhite30
    Options
    Could not agree with you more! It is pretty sad how kids are being made fun of and bullyed because they are over weight...It is so important to teach them a healthy lifestyle.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Word. I cook healthy balanced meals at home, and in our house, if you don't like what's being served, then you can go hungry (unless it's obviously something my son doesn't like---which I wouldn't make for him anyway). He pretty much always comes around and eats his vegetables :) I don't cater to him, I am the parent, I make the rules. Of course sometimes I let him have a happy meal or a piece of candy, I'm not a monster, but he knows that those are special occasion treats for after a t-ball game, or when the whole family is having a treat. Same rules apply to my boyfriend and I, no special privileges.

Get the video game controller out of your kids hand (unless it's something active on the Wii or whatever), and put a basketball/baseball/football/etc in it. Kids don't play outside NEARLY as much as they used to. When I was a kid I was outside riding my bike or rollerblading from the moment I woke up until it got dark outside, only coming inside to eat lunch. Get your kids moving! They don't like sports? No problem! Get em in dance classes (I took tap and jazz for like 15 years), try karate, or just play tag outside.

More and more children have two working parents these days, as opposed to having a stay at home mom, and I think a lot of parents use this as a crutch. "We are both working so much, no time for cooking/exercise/etc." BS. I work full time (as does my bf) and we still make time to cook dinner, go to the gym, get my son doing active things including t-ball practice and games. IT CAN BE DONE. You just have to make it a priority.

BOOM.
  • bigsexay157
    Options
    I totally agree with this. I don't even think a gaming system will be in our house because I'm not going to have a child sit inside and waste away to nothing while the world passes them by. There are too many positive activities that a child can get involved in to both help with self confidence and motivation. On top of that, anything to help give a child a small edge up on being a healthy adult is something that I would want to follow. Great post!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. I don't even think a gaming system will be in our house because I'm not going to have a child sit inside and waste away to nothing while the world passes them by. There are too many positive activities that a child can get involved in to both help with self confidence and motivation. On top of that, anything to help give a child a small edge up on being a healthy adult is something that I would want to follow. Great post!!

Totally agree on the no gaming system. I had maybe a nintendo 64 when I was a kid, but I rarely played it. My boyfriend never owned a single video game console in his life. He played sports instead. And even though he hasn't been playing competitive sports for about 8 years now, he's still in relatively great shape and is getting back into it. SO much easier to get back on track with good habits when you've known them all along!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Totally agree on the no gaming system. I had maybe a nintendo 64 when I was a kid, but I rarely played it. My boyfriend never owned a single video game console in his life. He played sports instead. And even though he hasn't been playing competitive sports for about 8 years now, he's still in relatively great shape and is getting back into it. SO much easier to get back on track with good habits when you've known them all along!

We have a game system, but it's for rainy days ect.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Gaming systems aren't evil and they aren't to blame. Lazy parents who let their children spend too much time on them are to blame.

We always had a gaming system growing up. Started out with atari (lol) and then nintendo and so on and so forth.

We were still very active children, constantly outside with our friends playing, biking, rollerblading, etc.

Sure we played video games sometimes but we didn't spend all day playing just because we had a gaming system.
  • galegetsthin
    Options
    More and more children have two working parents these days, as opposed to having a stay at home mom, and I think a lot of parents use this as a crutch. "We are both working so much, no time for cooking/exercise/etc." BS. I work full time (as does my bf) and we still make time to cook dinner, go to the gym, get my son doing active things including t-ball practice and games. IT CAN BE DONE. You just have to make it a priority.

BOOM.

This ^! We both work. We both get in our exercise time. I come home, we all go walk as a family (she rides her bike to keep up), I do my Zumba and my video in the bedroom, she joins in the zumba..... not right..... but she has a BLAST dancing with Mommy. On the days that she has gymnastics or ballet, I can do a bit more. Then, we make dinner. A lot of times he and I make dinner together, its part of "our" time as we LOVE to cook. She does homework while we cook, then we eat, she gets a shower, its story time and then bed...... Excuses get in the way of WHATEVER it is you want to do.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    <snip> Excuses get in the way of WHATEVER it is you want to do.

I love this
  • galegetsthin
    Options

We have a WII and an Xbox 360 with kinect, but most of the games we have are physical games and we ALL play them together. My 6 year old whoops my butt on wii tennis. She doesnt have any special kid games, if we cant do something outside, we play inside.

People who dont understand the negative effects that crap food and laziness have on a kid, who may well be a healthy kid, really gets to me. "Its ok, she is really active" or my favorite "He can have fried chicken and french fries because he is a little thin" are just ignorance. These kids will grow up thinking it is ok (like I did) and have weight issues when they get older. My endocrinologist thinks that a lot of my insulin resistance was brought on by my poor diet as a developing child. I havent told my parents this, as it would break their heart to know that they may have caused some of my weight problems, and I wont let it determine who I am now. But, I will NOT let the cycle continue to future generations because I didn't want to put in the time to fix it.
  • jenniakers
    Options
    YES! :drinker:
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    this is it. there are so many overweight young people these days, especially those in the early years. it really needs to be understood that an apple is no more expensive than a bar of chocolate, sure the chocolate tastes nice, but it needs to be reinforced that the apple tastes just as good, and is super good for you, and the best source of fast food is salad out of a bag, not fries out a paper cup at maccas!! :)
  • faiga
    faiga Posts: 47
    Options
    my 22 month old wants to eat salad over having pizza however i still cant get him to like brocoli or chicken
  • soccer8s
    soccer8s Posts: 331 Member
    Options

My girls are just like this!!! I have a 5, 4 and 2 year old and NONE of them will eat a full cupcake...ha ha ha.

They LOVE broccoli...and will eat carrots and snap peas over just about anything...other than yogurt maybe. They have never liked french fries and they each drink at least 3-4 big cups of water a day...Juice and Milk are a luxury and goodness only knows if they ever get soda (Sprite)...maybe when they are at grammas! Ok, no they do have it once in a blue moon, but they don't even finish a full glass.

My oldest will come home from school and grab an apple or some strawberries...we don't have chips in the house, she picks the snacks she wants....but I give her good options!

Do it early!!!! They will start making good choices early on if you let them!!!!