Can't stay motivated when the weight isn't coming off!

Options
I am trying my very hardest to stick to my Curves Meal Plan and I haven't lost a pound with the first week. I just feel so defeated right now. I am looking to add people who want encouragement as much as I need it.

Replies

• katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    You should measure yourself (waist, hips, neck) and see if those change, even when the scale doesn't. Also, 1 week is not enough time for you to give up already! Are you watching calories or just eating better? If you don't have a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. And exercising is very important, too!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I have for you is to take pictures. Sometimes the weight isnt falling off as quick as you like, but your body is still changing. Also, I wouldn't get discouraged after just one week. Hang in there. Be patient. :) Also...good luck!
  • TimesUp21
    TimesUp21 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! Its always hard when you start but the scale is not your friend right now. Stay away from it and only weigh yourself every other week and if you can go longer do that. Its so easy to not see drastic results and give up but in the long run losing at the right pace and not all at once is more healthy for you!. Keep pushing you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • Troyeee
    Troyeee Posts: 9
    Options
    A week is nothing. Give it a month, and get some exercise. Diet alone won't get you serious results. The thing about exercise is, even if the weight doesn't come off as fast as you like, you WILL feel better. This elevates your mood, and helps you stop the bad eating habits. Good luck.
  • kao1114
    kao1114 Posts: 51
    Options
    I understand feeling discouraged. My first week, I stuck to the diet plan, ate very well, exercised every day and lost 0.6 pounds while my husband (who is also on MFP) lost POUNDS every single day of the week. I was happy for him but felt very discouraged and sorry for myself. I literally climbed back into bed after my weigh in and cried. He coaxed me out of bed and helped me realize that we needed to stick with it. These are changes we are making not only to lose weight but to be healthy. The weight will come off - our bodies fluculate so much with hormones, stress, lack of sleep, etc. Stick with it and you will not only see the changes but feel them! Best of luck!
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am trying my very hardest to stick to my Curves Meal Plan and I haven't lost a pound with the first week. I just feel so defeated right now. I am looking to add people who want encouragement as much as I need it.

First week? Girl you need to be patient :) give it about 2-3 more weeks before you start getting concerned.
  • Gwenofcrowhaven
    Options
    The first week may show nothing, but watch what happens in weeks 2 & 3--Also, drink more water...Sometimes that kick starts the process. Good luck!
    (Lost 80 lbs in the last year and a half, kind of stuck myself right now with no movement.)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You NEED to have other goals besides weight loss. Measurements, body fat %, or specific fitness goals. That way when the scale doesn't cooperate (and it won't always go down every week), you have something else to focus on.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... Measure in other ways... not just the scale... as the scale can decieve you. And new habits take longer than a week to establish...
  • Startraveller
    Options
    Let your clothes be your guide, not the scale. Buy a target outfit one size below what you are wearing now and try it on once a week instead of stepping on the scale. It's a lot more motivating as you find the outfit starts to fit. There are so many reasons why the scale isn't moving but the size and fit of a new outfit don't lie! That will help you stay focused.:smile:
  • misscupcake21
    Options
    I am on week 3 of calories counting, working out regularly, etc & still have yet to lose any weight. As a matter of fact I have GAINED 2 pounds! Let me tell you i was ticked off at that scale! After a few moments though I realized I haven't lost weight as of yet but I am gaining muscle, hence the 2lb gain. I can also tell that i am losing inches, even in the tiniest of places I can see little differences. I get frustrated from time to time but try to remember that giving up isnt going to make me drop pounds either. Stay focused & give it one month.

They say it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a change, 8 weeks for friends and family to notice & 12 weeks until the rest of the world notices. KEEP GOING, DONT GIVE UP NOW!
  • Jalicious83
    Jalicious83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, I am the role model at giving up after not seeing immediate results but we have to try not thinking that way, give it some time it will come off
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I recently went through a period like this. In fact, I actually GAINED 4 pounds over two weeks when I knew I was exercising well and eating right where I wanted to be. It is hard, but you have to keep doing what you know you should be doing. All kinds of things can impact whether you lose weight or not over the short term. Some things I discovered was happening during my "slow" period:

1. Had to put my dog down (the one in my avatar picture), which increased my stress.
    2. Had issues with low blood sugar and needed to increase calories (from 1.5 lbs per week to 1 lb per week deficit)
    3. Started lifting weights (^ in lactic (sp?) acid)

For me, I guess my body just had to adjust. Right now, I'm eating the same number of calories as I did those 2 weeks I gained, still exercising hard (for me), and I'm losing faster than the pound a week projections. I know I'm going to hit another plateau, and I'm trying to keep everything in perspective. Stay focused on the LONG TERM.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I havent lost any weight in 20 months! Thanks for the heads up that I can quit now! Woohoo!!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your body will think you are joking for the first 30 days and won't really take you seriously until after the first month. My weight loss have been in waves. I always lose weight fast right after a slight plateau of no weight loss. In the beginning I even gained some weight back probably because of water weight, but more than likely it was me stepping on and off the scale every 5 minutes. Shoot the scale and start judging your successes with non-scale victories like resting heart rate, lowered blood pressure, clothes falling off you without a belt on, getting a smaller belt and then having to go belt shopping because you are already back on the last hole with the new belt. Measure you arms, waist, chest and thighs. Start putting on your skinny jeans that you haven't worn in years. I would judge your success more from what your friends and husband says about you than what the scale says.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... take pictures. and take measurements. the scale is not the only measure of progress. Also, get active.

Did it take you a week to get where you are now? No. In fact it probably took years. Why are you stressing - and ready to give up - after one week?? You need to get your head in the right place if you want to be successful. This is not a diet, or a temporary fix. It's a lifetime committment. I hope you are learning to eat right and exercise, because following a specific meal plan isn't really realistic for life (which is why I'm anti diet - that and diet is temporary).

Stick with it. I have lost 105lbs in the past 14 months. It can be done. I didn't follow any eating plan/diet. I changed my eating and started exercising. Now I still eat right, actually better than when I first started last january.... and I work out 6-7 days a week. The gym is my favorite place to be.

Start weight 303.4 (1/1/11)
    Current Weight 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    Goal Weight 160.
    29 y/o (30 in a month - eek!) 5'6''

Good luck!! :)
  • msphyl46
    msphyl46 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hang in there you can lose the weight don't let discouragement derail your goals. You might not lose the first week but you may lose inches, are your clothes feeling looser than before? Take your measurements. Remember we didn't gain this weight in a week and we will definitely not take it off in a week. I look forward to your success stories. You will lose. Be patient and remain positive you already have achieved something by making the decision to get healthy.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should measure yourself (waist, hips, neck) and see if those change, even when the scale doesn't. Also, 1 week is not enough time for you to give up already! Are you watching calories or just eating better? If you don't have a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight. And exercising is very important, too!

Great points here. Don't give up! If this particular system isn't working, it is better to try something else than to just give up.. Don't let that inner fat kid mentality take over. Happens to me all the time! Sometimes you just need to tell the inner fat kid to stfu and go for a jog ;)
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Having had a difficult weight loss week last week...I will tell you, I totally understand!!!!

That said, this is not the time to give up. If you aren't at your weight loss goal then you are quitting too soon! Don't give up on yourself!

The scale although is helpful at times it also is deceiving. It can only tell you your weight loss, not inches, muscle gain, health improvements. It is only a SMALL part of the puzzle. Last week when mine wasn't budging I WAS getting discouraged, but then I just snapped out of it. I decided I AM making progress I just need to find other ways of measuring it. So I took pics, ordered a Body Fat Analyzer and a body tape measure. Now when the scale is at a stand still that doesn't mean I have permission to give up... I have other goals I am trying to achieve; gained muscle, loss in inches,visible differences in my pics. If you keep working at it you WILL see results. Good Luck and hang in there!!!

We ALL go through this...that's why we are on here for support and advice! Feel free to add me :smile:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... take pictures. and take measurements. the scale is not the only measure of progress. Also, get active.

Did it take you a week to get where you are now? No. In fact it probably took years. Why are you stressing - and ready to give up - after one week?? You need to get your head in the right place if you want to be successful. This is not a diet, or a temporary fix. It's a lifetime committment. I hope you are learning to eat right and exercise, because following a specific meal plan isn't really realistic for life (which is why I'm anti diet - that and diet is temporary).

Stick with it. I have lost 105lbs in the past 14 months. It can be done. I didn't follow any eating plan/diet. I changed my eating and started exercising. Now I still eat right, actually better than when I first started last january.... and I work out 6-7 days a week. The gym is my favorite place to be.

Start weight 303.4 (1/1/11)
    Current Weight 198.4 (down 105lbs)
    Goal Weight 160.
    29 y/o (30 in a month - eek!) 5'6''

Good luck!! :)

I think the concepts of going slow, and life-time commitment bears repeating. Any time I've gone for the "quick fix" I've had short term success but long-term failure.

I don't really have a goal weight. I put in a number on MFP that I knew was less than where I'll probably end up. But for me, my true goal is, "To look as fit as I feel."