Bored with dinner

Options
2»

Replies

• marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My two favorite meals are an omelet, made with 9 TB egg beaters, 1 whole egg, spinach, and feta and/or goat cheese, and a salad, made with spinach, strawberries, sliced almonds, feta cheese, strawberry balsamic vinaigrette, and Quorn 'chicken' pieces. The omelet comes out to about 275 calories, 15g fat, and 30g protein and the salad is around 250 calories, 8g fat, and 18g protein. I don't track my carbs, so I have no idea of the carb count.

Also, fish is really tasty too. My favorites are salmon and tilapia and I usually eat them with some veggies and quinoa or couscous. I'm not a big rice fan either, but I also really like quinoa and black beans too.
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Taco chicken with rice, salsa and greek yogurt:

This recipe is for 1 serving

1/2 cup dry white instance rice - 160 cal, 0g fat
    2 oz Chobani fat free plain yogurt - 33 cal, 0g fat
    2 tbsp Tostitos salsa - 10 cal, 0g fat
    6 oz boneless skinless chicken breast (trimmed of fat) - 180 cal, 2g fat
    4 tsp Taco Bell Home Originals seasoning mix - 40 cal, 0g fat
    Pam non-stick canola oil cooking spray - 32 cal, 4g fat
    3/4 cup water

Totals: 455 calories, 6g fat

Cut up chicken to pieces of desired size. Spray non-stick pan with Pam. Cook chicken on med-high heat until lightly browned. Mix 1/4 cup water with seasoning mix. Add seasoning mixture once chicken is cooked, bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes (or until sauce is thick and sticking to chicken).

In a small pot, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add dry rice, stir. Then cover with lid and remove from heat. Rice will cook in 5-6 minutes.

Pour cooked rice into a bowl, top with chicken, yogurt and salsa. Enjoy!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I made chicken stroganoff last night with the ronzini wheat egg noodles, fresh mushrooms, chicken, the 98% fat free cream of mushroom, and a carton of plain fat free greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I really liked it, family did too
  • shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also, using Manwich with ground turkey doesn't taste as bad as it might sound.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes I know the feeling re getting bored.
    Agree with others about getting a cook book. My fav is a small book called BBC Low Fat Feasts.

Favourite quick one is

CHICKEN with COCONUT MILK
    1 Chicken fillet, thinly sliced (or cooked chicken)
    Spring onions (or half a small onion)
    Red pepper (halfish)
    Sml handful of Sugar snap peas, or runner beans (something green)
    Thai curry paste 1 tbs
    Coconut Milk (half tin)
    Brown rice about 50g

1. chop stuff,
    2. Put brown rice on the boil (it takes ages)
    10 mins later
    3. 'fry' curry paste for 30 seconds
    4. Pour in half tin of coconut milk on the spice and add thinly sliced chicken
    Cook until chicken turns white.
    5. Add in the onions for 3-5 mins. Try not to let milk boil.
    6. Throw in red peppers for 2mins and then green beans/peas.

A meal for one, double up for two
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Maybe more a lunch option, but here you go

CHICKEN & CHICKPEA SALAD

Left over Roasted chicken breast
    Green leaves including Rocket for flavour
    (Ie lettuce, spinach,mixed leaves etc)
    Nice vine tomatoes, chopped
    100g of chickpeas
    Sugar snap peas or Green pepper
    Half red pepper optional

Also a little dried chilli can make it more interesting..
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Where's the fish?! Need those Omega-3's!

Last night I cooked homemade paleo fish sticks. YUM!

Simple:
    Buy some fish! (Cod works well. Could use Tilapia also)
    Cut it up into strips!
    Crack 2 eggs, beat.
    Mix some almond flour and coconut flour (wheat flour is no good for ya).. and add some spices to that, maybe some Parm cheese even
    Fish into egg, then cover with flour mixture, then fry in coconut oil.

VERY healthy and tasty! My 3 year old woofed em down last night!

I do buy fish, just didn't mention it becasue i'm not really bored with my fish recipies. Those sound good though I will add it to the mix
  • jodieoh
    jodieoh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My new favourite dinner - http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show/cook-yourself-thin-recipes/chicken-courgette-and-lemon-pasta-bake-recipe

If you're american, a courgette is a zucchini, I believe :-) I changed the recipe slightly - I added fine beans for a bit of texture, I made courgette ribbons instead of grating it, and I added a cheeky little garlic clove and lots of black pepper. Oh and I used chicken breast fillets which I poached in water with a bay leaf instead of roast chicken. I'm a real mac and cheese fiend and I love fresh flavours so I really love this dish.

All the best!
  • secoke
    secoke Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Stir frys are amazing since you can adjust based on what veggies you have around. I make a sauce with soy sauce, sesame oil, a little chili oil, siracha and rice vinegar. Frittatas are also great since you can throw in a lot of veggies and are also great for breakfasts. I would suggest also looking at skinnytaste.com and iowagirleats.com